Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,598 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
LEJ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well then def keep the long johns. I guess the mechanix gloves are for cold weather purposes?
stdeb11
AG
I second ditching the multi tool if it's full size. I carry one a tiny Leatherman just for pliers, then carry the specific wrenches of what I need (2 Allen keys for the bow). And. The flashlight. Bone saw is nice, but with a little patience popping joints isn't bad. Unless your bone saw is super light (day trips I'll carry a saw sometimes, backpacking it usually gets cut).

Also probably not much weight saving but the Pancho seems redundant if it won't be rainy as those other jackets and a tree will do good enough except for heavy rain. Backup water tabs and just a spare nalgene are probably not necessary with the other filtration methods. Med kit can add up in weight (mine used to so I really went thru it)

Overall, not too bad tho and really not a ton to cut from
stdeb11
AG
Based on my last two scouting trips. I'd guess my base weight (gear only, no food or weapon) is about 34ish pounds including the spotter and tripod. Clocked in at 37lbs with food for 2 days and no water...its taken me 4 years, but finally got that pack weight down.

I'll ditch the spotter and tripod (saves about 5lbs) and replace that with 5 days of food. Have to weigh it, but guessing my 5 day weight ends up about at the usual 37lbs, then tack on 3L of water. Ready to get after it.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Ditch half the bullets and the sleeping bag liner, otherwise agree with what others noted
what do you have for light? I have 2 headlamps and a spare set of batteries. Main headlamp is black diamond I think? Has a red option which is nice for pre-dawn hiking. Backup is a tikkina I think, which lives in the emergency kit with a spare set of batteries. I don't like being caught without light

here's my thoughts on clothes:
99% of the time when you are moving all you are going to need are a lightweight base layer and an outer layer (unlined softshell type pants-I'm wearing prana zions this year, and a softshell jacket)
When you stop to glass or wait, put on a puffy right away. For me it's a tossup between my hooded puffy jacket or my mtn hardwear "monkey fur" fleece, it goes under the softshell. If I'm wearing a ball cap I swap it for a beanie.
The only other insulation layer I even consider bringing in the mountains with me is a pair of 200-weight fleece pants. I've spent lots of time in weather down to -20 in just base layer, fleece pants and shell pants, and puffy jacket. Fleece pants are super nice for sitting around cooking so I usually throw them in the pack if I feel like I can afford the weight, otherwise I end up eating with my legs in my sleeping bag, which ends up getting your sleeping bag nasty
extra pair of lightweight base layer top and bottom...nice to have a change if you start smelling yourself. I usually wear the same merino ones all week and never take the silk ones out of the pack. Extra pair of socks, maybe 2. Nothing beats pulling on fresh socks when you crawl in your sleeping bag.
windstopper gloves...if it gets really cold you can put a pair of socks on your hands
golite poncho is the only rain gear I will carry if there's nothing serious in the forecast (lives in my emergency kit)
Oh and I have a space blanket in my emergency kit.
If the forecast shows something really nasty or if there's already a bunch of snow on the ground I might bring gaiters and real raingear, and a pair of windstopper glomitts (super warm and easy to get yoru trigger finger out)

So that's it for my clothes list (including what I wear):
merino base layer top & bottom
silk base layer top & bottom
socks x3 (think most of mine are smartwool medium hikers?)
prana zion pants
softshell jacket
orange ball cap
orange fleece beanie
cheap polyester orange vest (like the $3 one, going on 15 years or so on mine)
hooded puffy jacket (mine is a mammut synthetic, could probably save a lot of weight here if I wanted to spend some money)
windstopper gloves

maybes:
fleece pants (mine are old rei full zip)
mtn hardwear monkey fur fleece
raingear top/bottom
OR crocodiles gaiters (way overkill but it's what I have)
ttha_aggie_09
AG
AgEng06 said:

Do you have a link to more info on this? I'd like to read up on it, but specifically what entails a "CWD area"? I know there are areas that CO denotes as having CWD and requires testing, but for Texas's purposes does the whole state count?

Start here to navigate to the CWD related info:
https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/cwd
Zones:
https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/cwd/cwd-zones

stdeb11
AG
For a backup light I have one of the super cheap lights that clip on your hat bill. Weighs almost nothing. I always wear a ball cap, even if it's cold I'll just toss a beanie on over or under it. Hat bill works well to help stabilize binos too
arrow
AG
Surprisingly my food bag only weighed 7#. I counted 7# of non-essentials (hygiene stuff, spotter, glassing pad, phoneskope, pillow) half of which is the spotter. So I could get to 38# without water and weapon.

I'm considering tripod, trekking poles, and inReach as essential. Of course they're not.
shaynew1
AG
You better put that pillow in the essentials column too
LEJ
arrow said:

Surprisingly my food bag only weighed 7#.

You def gonna need a grouse or two.
AgEng06
AG
Thanks man. Looks like based on this page that any deer/elk coming back to TX from CO needs to follow the protocol.
arrow
AG
Seems light to me too. I'm usually closer to two pounds per day. Maybe my scale doesn't work.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
hunger sharpens the senses
harge57
AG
It will also make your clothes not fit after 7 days. I under packed food pretty substantially my first week in the backcountry. I did not have any significant performance issues, but it was pretty significant. My brother noticed the change in a week. My neighbor commented on my return that it looks like I had left a lot of me back in Wyoming. All this from a starting point where I did not have much weight to give up.

I pack an extra snickers bar per day now.

My daily meal bags now are:

2-3 cliff bars ( i love the blueberry)
Beef jerky (substantial amount)
Mixed nuts and dried fruit
Dark dark chocolate
Mountain house - Chili mac with beef
Snickers bar
Instant coffee pack
lazuras_dc
AG
dug up this ole guy , might be some interested in tweaking their meals this year: https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3040977/1
cupofjoe04
AG
Good find. I tried several of the Pack It Gourmet meals based on that thread, and they are awesome. The tortilla soup is good enough to eat at home for dinner.
arrow
AG
Here's where I'm at this year. Hopefully I'm eating tenderloin before I get to the end of the list.

Lunch 1 - Ramen/Fruit/Candy
Dinner 1 - Mountain House & Whiskey
Breakfast 2 - Pro Bar & Caffeine
Lunch 2 - Bacon Bomb/Crackers/Candy
Dinner 2 - Mountain House & Whiskey
Breakfast 3 - Pro Bar & Caffeine
Lunch 3 - Pro Bar/Jerky/Dried Apricot/Candy
Dinner 3 - Mountain House & Whiskey
Breakfast 4 - Mountain House & Coffee
Lunch 4 - Jerky/Cheese/Crackers/Candy
Dinner 4 - Mountain House & Whiskey
Breakfast 5 - Pro Bar & Caffeine
Lunch 5 - Ramen/Fruit/Candy
Dinner 5 - Mountain House & Whiskey
Breakfast 6 - Pro Bar & Caffeine
Lunch 6 - Pro Bar/Jerky/Dried Apricot/Candy
Dinner 6 - Mountain House & Whiskey
Breakfast 7 - Pro Bar & Caffeine

7 Pro Bars (4 breakfast, 3 lunch)
7 Mountain House (6 dinner, 1 breakfast)
Bacon Bombs
Baby Bell Cheese, Cheese Nips, Peanut Butter, Jerky
Ramen Noodles, Chicken Bouillon Cubes
Candy (Sour Patch, Chocolate, Gummy Bears)
Dried Apricot, Small Apples
Drink:Hydrate & Recover, Energy & Focus, Instant Coffee, Whiskey Flask
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
lazuras_dc said:

dug up this ole guy , might be some interested in tweaking their meals this year: https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3040977/1
that's a good thread, some good stuff in this one too:
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2872388/1

I forgot the fritos suggestion, might have to try that this year

I like caffeinated cliff shots to replace my second (maybe first too) cup of coffee in the morning
ttha_aggie_09
AG
NRD09 said:

lazuras_dc said:

that's a good thread, some good stuff in this one too:
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2872388/1

I forgot the fritos suggestion, might have to try that this year

I like caffeinated cliff shots to replace my second (maybe first too) cup of coffee in the morning
that thread was really beneficial to me and I cannot thank those that contributed to it enough!

Best advice for me was:

Pedialyte Packets for hydration - I had 2 a day
Propel Packets for Flavor and electrolytes
Bags for pre-mixing your snacks - some snack wrappers are extremely loud and it's easy to mix in camp
MREs were actually decent and easy to make
Bring sports/athletic tape and liquid bandaids
LEJ
I vacuum packed a 9oz bag of Fritos into 2 separate vac bags (1440 cals total). They're pretty damn good in the MH Chili Mac... basically a frito pie.
stdeb11
AG
You fit all that in 7lbs? Gonna have to take more whiskey to round that out...
arrow
AG
Dang-it I'll have to reweigh.

I poured Oban 14 in the flask! Baby steps to Friday afternoon.
lazuras_dc
AG
LEJ said:

I vacuum packed a 9oz bag of Fritos into 2 separate vac bags (1440 cals total). They're pretty damn good in the MH Chili Mac... basically a frito pie.

Mind blown. Sounds amazing.
shaynew1
AG
It begins.
LEJ
stdeb11
AG
shaynew1
AG
1.5 mile walk climb stalk. Parked on a rock. Waitin for this mofo to stand
shaynew1
AG
We happy

somefatkid
AG
shaynew1 said:

1.5 mile walk climb stalk. Parked on a rock. Waitin for this mofo to stand

I have reason to believe the mofo stood. Briefly.
AgEng06
AG
LEJ
Im so excited I can't even pee straight.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Good start to the season!!!
stdeb11
AG
Hell ya! Congrats man!

Starting it off right!
AgEng06
AG
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's the 1st kill of 2019-2020 for our thread.
LEJ
I seen it on the internetz, so it's true
shaynew1
AG
I believe young Joseph has been at it since yesterday but it ain't a contest.

At least on here

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.