Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,555 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
mneisch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got my Colorado app in last week. Hoping the odds are in our favor so I can chase mule deer this year. If that doesn't work out I'll have to decide if I want to do OTC elk or not.
shaynew1
AG
Banking points
AgEng06
AG
Need some thoughts guys -

I currently have 3 deer points in CO. My original plan was to save those for a high country archery hunt, but now as I look at the odds, I should be able to draw a decent hunt with 3-5 points for the foreseeable future. The "big time" hunts take ~10 points, and I don't want to wait that long.

Instead, I'm thinking of burning my points this year to pick up a 2nd rifle muley tag in our OTC elk unit. Last year we saw 3 bucks that I would have been happy to put my tag on, and since we will already have a few guys with elk tags, I thought this might increase our chances of success. (Depending on finances, I might also get an elk tag when the time comes.)

Any reasons to (or not to) go ahead and burn my points?
LEJ
Good muleys grow on trees pretty much everywhere in Colorado. I don't think you need to keep building points.
AgEng06
AG
Yeah, you're right, and that's what I was thinking as well. I'm gonna go ahead and burn 'em so I'll be ready to give a buck a dirt nap.
stdeb11
AG
Agree with LEJ. Most units have good muleys and don't think it's worth that long of a wait... Granted I havent seen em when I've had a deer tag, but gonna change that this year!
mneisch
AG
Hoping this proves to be true!
cupofjoe04
AG
Hunt now. You can kill a great buck w/ those points if you put in the time. If you really want a MONSTER, I personally think you would be better off putting away a couple hundred dollars a year for the next 6 years, and going down to Sonora and killing a giant, instead of banking points for the chance to kill a slightly bigger buck than what you can with your current points. Just my .02
LEJ
I'm in. Deadline is 8pm mountain time tomorrow. Used to be midnight. They're prob spending those extra free 4 hrs shoveling snow this year.
reveille23
nothing like waiting until the last minute...got my CO apps in for myself and my son!

Thanks Brad, cupofjoe & NRD for the pointers and for links to navigate the data. Hoping for some good news in a few months!

Good luck y'all!
AgEng06
AG
I agree. My app is in, and if GoHunt is correct I should be looking at a tag in a few months.
cupofjoe04
AG
AgEng06 said:

I agree. My app is in, and if GoHunt is correct I should be looking at a tag in a few months.

I look forward to seeing a dandy on the Meat Pole thread from you this fall!!!
PFG
AG
I have muzzle loader apps in for 2 states.

I don't own a muzzle loader.

Do I have a problem ? Lol
LEJ
AgEng06 said:

Ask Arrow about those 90+% odds.
shaynew1
AG
LiveOak said:

Depends on the state.

In line is easy money.
cupofjoe04
AG
LiveOak said:

That all depends on your pocketbook, ha ha! Whatever you do, get one as early as you can, and spend as much time as possible working up your load and shooting. Makes all the difference.

I can't recomend the Rem 700 ULM highly enough. It's a little more spendy than most- but The performance is worth 2X what you pay. Biggest downside- it's heavy. But I think it's worth the weight for the range.
LEJ
I long for 1 more crack at Chief.

shaynew1
AG
every night when i lay down and close my eyes...i see that bull in nm running off.
PFG
AG
CO for Muzz MD and NM for Muzz Elk
AgEng06
AG
LEJ said:

AgEng06 said:

Ask Arrow about those 90+% odds.
Yeah, I feel ya. GoHunt shows 100% draw w/ 2 points though, so w/ 3 I should be good to go.
cupofjoe04
arrow
AG
I'm in for Colorado bear and sheep. PP for elk and deer. (I gotta use those deer points dangit!)
I'm in for muzzy elk in New Mexico and I have never even shot one.

Also, backdoor draw results are bad luck! Don't talk to me about backdoor results!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
CO...looks like this year's regs state that you lose preference points if you haven't applied for a point or a license for a given critter for 10 years? I thought in previous years you would lose them if you went 2 consecutive years without applying? Brad?

Edit: upon applying it looks like I still have a goat point from 2012 so I guess I didn't lose it. Also 7 weighted and 3 regular moose points...might have to shoot bullwinkle next year. And I got a speedgoat point...because...$9? Not a fan of this year's "you have to buy a small game license if you want to buy points" system

Edit2: the unit where I know where to find moose has a quota of 1 NR license a year, last year that meant 1% chance of drawing...maybe I won't get to shoot bullwinkle next year

I'm getting a bear this year. I know I am going to regret it for a lot of miles but not when I look at the skull and cape. Never really considered myself a trophy hunter but I guess this makes me one...
LEJ
All the western states have gotten greedy. They know we got the fever! No preference point charge my ass. If you like your points you can keep your points. Rabble rabble

I'm also tryin to buy some last minute points for my niece (long term planning) but she doesn't have a Hunters Ed # (took the class but didn't take care of some paperwork blah blah) and the online app won't go through without it. Shut up and take my money!
shaynew1
AG
Alright I'm over the application phase

It's time for the results and celebrations part of the evening.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I'm already celebrating, I burned a point on a 100% chance 0 point first choice EE unit. I will be hunting October 12 come hell or high water (knock on wood...I live in SW Houston)!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'm pretty sure if you didn't drink before applying to most states, you will after...

Alright, it's not that bad but I needed some serious help from Brad (Thanks again!).
LEJ
Time to start buying new gear.
agingcowboy
AG
I hadn't thought of this but i put in for a 4th rifle EE unit too that has essentially 100% odds. Guess my points will be gone as well.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
somefatkid
AG
shaynew1 said:

every night when i lay down and close my eyes...i see that bull in nm running off.
I have a strong desire to post an image, but I am sworn to secrecy.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
it's great, we don't have to worry about draw results, backdoor accuracy, point creep, just where to go and how to get there! No ragrets!
PFG
AG
Wait. What am I missing. Why are some of you burning points on 100% draw odd @ zero point tags?

First choice: PPoint
Second choice: Hunt

Keep your points, go hunting, everyone wins.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
1st choice no points = 100% draw odds
second choice=not 100% draw odds
i am hunting elk this year
cupofjoe04
AG
LiveOak said:

Wait. What am I missing. Why are some of you burning points on 100% draw odd @ zero point tags?

First choice: PPoint
Second choice: Hunt

Keep your points, go hunting, everyone wins.
You totally can do this if it really is a guaranteed tag, regardless of choice. I have done this exact thing with a rifle tag in Trinidad in the past.

But some of the tags go to 1st choice & then there is no quota left for 2nd choice group. Some just look like that draw @ 100% if you are only looking at the 1st choice column.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
pretty sure I remember many years ago having a choice to either use your points or put in as 0 points (and keep whatever points you had banked, gaining one if you didn't draw), which would have allowed liveoak's scenario but it was super confusing and probably contributed toward point creep. That was when I was first learning the system though so maybe I was confused and am misremembering

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.