Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,582 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
Log
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think I'm at 5-6 for both deer and elk. Thinking I may put in for PP's as 1st choice, but would like to try for a unit on 2nd that has both decent odds of getting drawn and decent success rates.
44mAG
AG
Dale Earnhardts Stache said:

44mAG said:

In for Wyoming elk. According to draw odds, I have a 98% chance to draw. Hopefully I am not one unlucky dude! Looking forward to my hunt in late September!
Which unit did you apply for? I'm thinking 124.

General elk area in the Special licsence drawing with 1 PP.
arrow
AG
I threw my name in the hat for a long shot elk tag in Wyoming. Basically a $30 raffle for a chance at a great DIY hunt.

FYI for those considering hunting elk in Wyoming. As you probably know, a guide or resident is required to hunt with non-residents in Wilderness areas. I've reached out to several reputable outfitters over the last month trying to nail down some plans for my elk points. With point creep there, I'm approaching no-mans land with my points so I'm ready to hunt. One outfit in a 6-8 point unit was booked 8 years in advance! Another outfit that hunts a general tag unit (~2 points) is booked up for rifle hunting for the next 3 years. So any non-resident who thinks they may want to hunt wilderness area units, you may want to keep this in mind. Availability for archery is a little better.

I wish Wyoming would get rid of the wilderness rule for non-residents...
Hodor
AG
arrow said:

I threw my name in the hat for a long shot elk tag in Wyoming. Basically a $30 raffle for a chance at a great DIY hunt.

FYI for those considering hunting elk in Wyoming. As you probably know, a guide or resident is required to hunt with non-residents in Wilderness areas. I've reached out to several reputable outfitters over the last month trying to nail down some plans for my elk points. With point creep there, I'm approaching no-mans land with my points so I'm ready to hunt. One outfit in a 6-8 point unit was booked 8 years in advance! Another outfit that hunts a general tag unit (~2 points) is booked up for rifle hunting for the next 3 years. So any non-resident who thinks they may want to hunt wilderness area units, you may want to keep this in mind. Availability for archery is a little better.

I wish Wyoming would get rid of the wilderness rule for non-residents...
I bet the majority of non-residents wish the same. Obviously isn't going to happen, due to rent-seeking by outfitters, and likely residents want to keep competition in those areas to a minimum.

Glad to know about lead times. Sounds like I need to contact some outfitters and make some future plans. Just getting a point there this year.
BullSprig07
AG
You probably saw but point creep caught up to the general tag this year and now 2 points doesn't guarantee you draw.
BradMtn346
Log said:

I think I'm at 5-6 for both deer and elk. Thinking I may put in for PP's as 1st choice, but would like to try for a unit on 2nd that has both decent odds of getting drawn and decent success rates.

Any unit that you will draw on second choice will have a LOT of hunters. These units are managed primarily for an opportunity to hunt, not success.

I have not looked at pp requirements for non-residents lately, but I think you are kind of in no man's land for elk. There might be some decent options for deer at that level.
LEJ
Arizona Elk and Pronghorn apps due tomorrow
PFG
AG
Sitting on 9 PPs in CO for mule deer.

Wanting to burn em this year on a 4th season (rut) deer hunt.

Drowning in data on where to burn my points, so thought I'd ask if any OB posters have done a 4th season CO deer hunt.
schmellba99: Hard to believe people are looking at what is happening and thinking this is something other than a flu like bug
stdeb11
AG
Just came here to post this. Buddy and I decided this weekend we're gonna get in on this AZ elk stuff this year so scrambling to read up what to do to get a point at least
BullSprig07
AG
Buy a license, then apply or select point only. Our group only has one point in Arizona but throwing our name in the hat for a late season rifle hunt anyway. About 10% odds on a couple decent units.
BradMtn346
LiveOak said:

Sitting on 9 PPs in CO for mule deer.

Wanting to burn em this year on a 4th season (rut) deer hunt.

Drowning in data on where to burn my points, so thought I'd ask if any OB posters have done a 4th season CO deer hunt.

Personally, I don't think 4th season deer is worth the points. I'd rather hunt 9 days in a better unit 3rd than 5 days 4th.
PFG
AG
Good input. Thanks Brad.

My FILaw has been hunting MD in 77 for the past decade. His group has killed 3 trophies in those years. Two over 200, one in the 190s. All in the years they drew 4th season tags. Other years were 3rd season, and deer movement was very up and down pending the weather, while fourth season almost always brought move deer movement during the day, and many more mature bucks seen.

Got an email where I can reach you with more questions about 3 vs 4 season and MD tactics?
schmellba99: Hard to believe people are looking at what is happening and thinking this is something other than a flu like bug
arrow
AG
There aren't any big deer in that unit. I'd edit your post before you misguide too many lurkers looking for 200s.

You have tons of options with 9 points. I'd look somewhere you have a familiarity with and also matches your hunting style preference. Your FIL sounds like a great guy for info.
PFG
AG
He would be a great resource, but a lot of their deer (the trophies included) have come from securing private land access. But small tracts of land. Little bitty places. 50 acres here. 100 there. 35 on the river. Just from hunting the same area over and over and seeing where the big boys pop up.

I don't have the same access, so not interested in 77. Though it's a good tactic to use - keep some cash in the back pack, and if you see a good deer, it never hurts to ask for permission to hunt. That's how they got access over time, and killed their trophies.
BradMtn346
stdeb11
AG
Thanks for the advice. In a few minutes here or there during work today that's about what we landed on doing. Sitting down with a glass of bourbon to start diving in. Website was running pretty slow earlier
cupofjoe04
AG
Everyone is out enjoying all this snow- and all I can do is think about hunting and the brand new Bergara HMR in my safe, and how that 6.5 hasn't been shot further than 80 yards yet... I just can't find a spot to shoot it with all this snow.

I'm going to TX to speak at a conference in Magnolia at the end of the month, so I might have to drag it along and find someone with a little land or a range. I just CANT WAIT to try and air out a probghorn and hopefully draw another mule deer tag this year.

Although, I am greatful for every flake & drop of moisture we get. Man, do the San Juans ever need to be absolutely COVERED in snow this year. Will make for an amazing fall if so!!! I just saw that we are at 102% of normal snowpack this year! Need to keep it up, for sure. But we are above normal all across the state, so it's looking a heck of a lot better than last year!
shaynew1
AG
If you're drivin I got a spots in Groesbeck
cupofjoe04
AG
cupofjoe04
AG
That could easily be on the way! I'll let you know. Gracias
LEJ
Could also get you on my folks place just a bit south of Brenham, but Shaynes got hogs and he might give you a good deal on a guided hunt
cupofjoe04
AG
We've got a family ranch with plenty of hogs, but it's 4 hours away for where we'll be with this trip. Short on time, but we will be fitting in a little aggie baseball on a Friday evening (it's what my son wants to do for his birthday!)
stdeb11
AG
I've been loving the snow this year...

PFG
AG
Got it Brad
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
That pic makes my hip flexors hurt

LiveOak...what about ranching for wildlife?
shaynew1
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

That could easily be on the way! I'll let you know. Gracias

Keep me posted. I can't promise you won't get put to work for your victuals.
shaynew1
AG
stdeb11 said:

I've been loving the snow this year...

Man that is fantastic
arrow
aggie0959
Anyone having problems with Arizona online trying to get their license bought. I am getting error messages and I am starting to get pissed. (Yayayayaya spare me the don't wait till last minute please)
stdeb11
AG
Yep. Tired probably 50 times last night and kept getting the error. Figured it'd be better this morning, nope.
aggie0959
I am going to try and call them today and see if I can by one over the phone
AgEng06
AG
Well I'm an idiot as well and forgot about AZ preference points. I let my license expire on 2/11 and didn't purchase points before then, so now I will need to buy a license first. I don't plan on going to AZ in 2019, so I have to decide if getting points is worth a $160 license that I won't use.

And now, as others have mentioned, the website isn't working.
stdeb11
AG
On the phone and I'm 32nd in the queue about website difficulties...I called at 8:02
AgEng06
AG
Geeez. Well if they tell you they will extend the deadline for some reason, please let us know. Otherwise I might be skipping this year (even though I will lose the chance at the 5 yr loyalty point).
Log
AG
Got my AZ elk and pronghorn points. I'll probably be 65 before I get to use them though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.