Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,537 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
AgEng06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like the idea of them if you have time to set up for the shot, but obviously realize sometimes it doesn't go that way. I carry my rifle in my hand and sticks in my pack, so it wouldn't be a "fast deploy" for me either.

However, last year when I left my pack and spotting area to run about half a mile to cut a bull off coming over a ridge, and then had to stand in a trail and shoot offhand... it would have been nice to have my sticks and this doohickey in the other hand.
cupofjoe04
AG
I can think of lots of scenarios where sticks would come in handy- wether they are hiking sticks with this doo-dad or shooting sticks. If I have walking sticks in my hand already, I have to set them down to retrieve my shooting sticks from wherever they are stored. So in that case, this eliminates a step.

I have personally shot a bull @ 325 off sticks (muzzleloader w/ scope), a mule deer @125 off of a mono trigger stick (muzzleloader w/ irons), and whitetail @ 250 off of sticks (rifle). I also shot a pronghorn @ 408 off of my butt and knees (rifle), and another bull at 350+ off my pack (rifle). Each of those situations, that was about the only way I could have gotten a shot at that critter. Pretty much my Fallow deer was the only one where I could have picked any number of ways to shoot him.

The bull I shot off of sticks, I sat on him for an hour waiting for a shot after getting set up. Due to terrain, prone or sitting on my rear resting on knees was not an option. Leaning on a tree was too much movement (to stand) and wouldn't be able to hold for an hour. Having sticks took the weight of the gun, and allowed me to sit on my pack to put me JUST over the brush. Allowed me to relax enough to endure the LONG wait, and be prepared in a moments notice for the 3 second window after he stood up.

Everyone should be able to shoot without sticks- I've personally seen them cost a guy a 350" bull- he tried to lay down to use his bipod, but was in tall grass. The bull was at 100 yards max. After it ran away, I asked why he didn't just shoot him, and he said he has never shot the gun not laying down on his bipod, so he didn't think of anything else. That guy ended up eating tag soup.

I also think people need to know how to shoot off their pack, standing, leaning, slung, offhand, and off of sticks/bipods. You can't be TOO prepared. And you never know what situation you will be presented with in the field.
LEJ
I could see this working well in a scenario in which you're already hunkered down in a spot and you glass up a buck or bull within shooting range, which is very possible.

In his book, Robbing Denning from rokslide talks about practing running shots using tire targets his wife or kids roll past him down an incline.

FTR, I don't recall him being an advocate of a running shot as Plan "A", but it's always nice to have a backup plan.
cupofjoe04
AG
LEJ said:

I could see this working well in a scenario in which you're already hunkered down in a spot and you glass up a buck or bull within shooting range, which is very possible.

In his book, Robbing Denning from rokslide talks about practing running shots using tire targets his wife or kids roll past him down an incline.

FTR, I don't recall him being an advocate of a running shot as Plan "A", but it's always nice to have a backup plan.

That's what I'm talking about! Not really about running shots, but that kind of prep for those uncommon situations (after you have a solid base, of course).

I prefer to shoot at this one particular place that has a BRUTALLY steep hill right behind where I set up. So, I end most sessions with a series of hill sprints and shots. I'll hike up it, back down and shoot. Then sprint up it, back down, and try to settle myself then make a solid shot within 60 seconds. Then I'll sprint up and down, and force myself to send a round ASAP. Then I'll hike back up and down, legs shaking jello, and try to make an accurate standing shot.

I have learned that I can actually settle my heart/lungs for a few seconds, long enough to send a round. I've also learned what it feels like when I'm too far gone to settle down, that I have no hope of forcing a shot. So that helps me to know when to hold a shot, when I can force it or push harder, or when to slow down before I reach a hilltop- to let myself settle right as I'm cresting.
shaynew1
AG
I am so ready to get the hell out of dodge I can't stand it
arrow
AG
After watching this video:

I did a lot of sling work with my rifle prior to a Wyoming deer hunt. I ended up having to make a 60 yard shot with a heavy rifle. That practice paid off as it was something I had never done before. Prior to that hunt, I was guilty of shooting off a bench and prone only in the field.

Last year, I carried a small Javelin bipod in a cargo pocket. They're quick to use and lightweight. I ended up shooting off my pack though. I'll carry it again this year.

I like the idea of the trekking pole adapter. It might fit the scenario where you have a little bit of time to set up and small bipod won't work for the terrain. It could be a good option for the very common midrange shot (100-300).
AgEng06
AG
Pssshhhht.... what does that guy know about shooting?

https://ryancleckner.com/texas-triggers-1000-yard-shot-with-a-barrett-m82-50-sniper-rifle/
stdeb11
AG
Saw the email last night that the tract toric demos are on sale now. So damn tempting, but binos aren't the most immediate gear upgrade for me right now. I've never held a set of these, but Caladan highly recommends these on here often.

In case anyone's looking

https://www.tractoptics.com/products/binoculars?category=60
arrow
AG
AgEng06 said:

Pssshhhht.... what does that guy know about shooting?

https://ryancleckner.com/texas-triggers-1000-yard-shot-with-a-barrett-m82-50-sniper-rifle/
I hadn't seen that. Listen to the man!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
compelling arguments all

my trekking poles are still staying in camp though!
arrow
AG
A guy on rokslide is selling 8x42 Leica Noctivids for $1750.

Rokslide Link
cupofjoe04
AG
Man- I strained my achilles tendon training today... what a bummer. That's going to hamper my training. Hopefully not a partial tear or anything- I really doubt it is torn, but it hurts like crazy.

Here's hoping I can still get it and me in mountain shape...
shaynew1
AG
Dang man Godspeed on the recovery!
LEJ
It's an opportunity to let it rest and focus on the many other crucial details you have been putting off til the last minute
shaynew1
AG
Welp
shaynew1
AG
Tonight I visit my hunting buddies and had a few too many beers and was a little too social and fired my bow sans an arrow.

...with one compadre looking on in disbelief, unable to speak.

First time for everything I guess.

String untracked and I definitely heard something whiz off behind me and smack the siding on a shed. Haven't figured what it might have been. It didn't kill me tho so I guess it's a win.

Sonofa*****. After a couple thousand arrows I got to freaking start over. Hopefully limbs and cams are ok.

I'm going to drink the rest of the beers now.
agingcowboy
AG
Damn dude, that's a real bummer. Cams are easy enough to check out and make sure they aren't bent. Limbs are another matter though, very hard to tell if limbs are damaged. Can look perfectly normal and have cracks inside. Not trying to make you paranoid, but don't want that thing to come apart at full draw either.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
shaynew1
AG
worry not my paranoia is already maxed. I trust the guys that work on it for me and I still have my bow from last year. We'll see how it shakes out. I'm just mad because I had everything flying right.
cupofjoe04
AG
Dude, no bueno. So glad you are OK and it didn't come apart on you. That got to be so frustrating after the hours and hours you poured into it.
I'm certainly no expert, but I would take it to one to have the limbs checked (if they even can tell?).
shaynew1
AG
LEJ
I've done it... stone cold sober. Was excited about new errs. Had shot several and was gigglin like a school girl at myself. Then, shtf. This was a Matthews Z7 Xtreme at 65#.

My guy looked it over, restrung it and I was slangin darts within minutes. It was fine.

It made me feel a little better when he said he had done it shooting at a competition and had seen several experienced competitive shooters do the same over the years. When you get in a groove, it's easy to forget lil minor details... like nocking an arrow.

shaynew1
AG
I'm hopeful that it'll be ok. It's very unfortunate timing tho
cupofjoe04
AG
LEJ said:

When you get in a groove, it's easy to forget lil minor details...

I did something similar last year, trying to get my muzzleloader sighted in for CO. I got everything ready to spend a long day at the range, trying different loads and projectiles. Took off work early, drove 40 minutes to a very secluded place so I could shoot in peace and focus.

I sat down and shot 2 rounds. It was high and I needed to work it down (iron sights). Loaded the next shot, settled in, squeezed the trigger- only to hear a deflating *fumph*. What? How can you have a misfire with this setup? What just happened?

I keep the rifle pointed down range, and wait for a minute or two tensely anticipating a hangfire or something. I look down to my right, and see my powder measure sitting there still full... I loaded the projectile & primer, but not the powder. I tear through my stuff- and there isn't a bullet puller anywhere. Nothing to do but pack up and drive home, kicking myself the whole way for being so stupid.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Let's talk Broad-heads...

I'm pretty sure I am going to use the G5 Montecs for my upcoming elk hunt (have to use fix blade) but have never shot them before out of my bow. I'm curious to know about flight pattern with fixed compared to mechanical.

I practiced with my rages once or twice and they were always spot on. My G5 T3s have flown exactly how I have needed them, so I don't really practice with either Broadhead. I'm curious what you fixed Broadhead guys are doing? Are you practicing regularly with the broad-heads or just occasionally testing the discrepancy at various yardage? I'm thinking the latter...

Sorry for the newbie question, I am just out of my element with fixed broad-heads.
cupofjoe04
AG
I used to shoot the Strikers, and then the Montec. I loved those for hogs, they are tough as nails. I always keep 1 in my quiver when I'm at the ranch.

I would always just shoot a couple shots at various yardage to compare to field points. The Strikers would always be spot on for me, and the Montec's were pretty darn close. They dropped off a little faster outside of 40 yards. So, I would just sight in my field points to shoot the appropriate amount high at 40-55 yards (was my max), and it always worked well.

Granted- I wasn't shooting elk ranges back then, so I'm sure more practice and adjustments would have been warranted. But my mechanicals fly very true at all ranges now, so I'm not a fixed blade shooter anymore.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Thanks for the feedback! Mechanicals nowadays are just so dang reliable and accurate, it sucks that people still don't trust them... I get it and wouldn't want anyone wounding an elk on my property, but I really feel like I am more lethal with my mechanicals than a fixed Broadhead. I guess practice will fix that though!

shaynew1
AG
I love fixed heads but they magnify all of my shooting deficiencies. When I'm not dry firing bows and tearing **** up, i get it paper tuned and see where my broadheads are grouping. I prefer to move the rest (minuscule 1/32" movements) to get broadheads to group w field tips, but there are def ppl that are happy to resight their bows in to their broadhead groups.

I shoot my broadheads a lot and have one in the mix any time I'm shooting. If they group at 100 I'm pretty happy. But I shoot a fat slow arrow that makes it easier.

Montecs are great and I've killed a bull and a lot of hogs with them.

stdeb11
AG
To add to the bow woe's stories. Shooting Saturday morning in the yard and my arrows start flying all crazy and not grouping. Checked out the bow string, rest, etc and couldn't find anything wrong. 2 shots later the whole damn sight pin housing comes flying off with the shot. Guess something rattled loose as I haven't touched that since setting it up last summer.

For broadheads, I've finally got my bow tuned well enough that they fly decent but think I'll still stick with my Grim Reapers as I know they fly super well and never had any issues. Sorry for being no help there.
bkf0005
AG
For broadheads, I'm going with the iron will s125's this year for the elk hunt. I haven't had a chance to try them at distance yet as I changed my whole setup - arrows and sight - and I'm still getting the new sight dialed in at distance. Has anyone had any experience with these?
LEJ
I still haven't actually read any of the Ashby Studies by Dr Ed Ashby, but I've listened to podcasts discussing his findings. Due to this, I've switched to 2 blade heads, Magnus Stinger specifically.

If you really want to go down a rabbit hole, his findings basically suggest that greater penetration can be achieved through greater efficiency by the following...

-2 blade bh

- single bevel bh

- FOC approaching or exceeding 20%

- make sure the following 3 are all either right or left in orientation for max efficiency

Arrow rotation left or right (easy way to Test for this)

Left or right wing fletching

Left or right bevel on bh.

I bought some single bevel, left hand bevel bh called Strickland Helix that had good reviews on rokslide after I discovered that the natural rotation of my arrows is left... ie counterclockwise. They fly fine but haven't used them on game.
shaynew1
AG
bkf0005 said:

For broadheads, I'm going with the iron will s125's this year for the elk hunt. I haven't had a chance to try them at distance yet as I changed my whole setup - arrows and sight - and I'm still getting the new sight dialed in at distance. Has anyone had any experience with these?

I bought some s150s to play with and really like them. I'm at like 260fps and have no problem at distance.
shaynew1
AG
Talked to the shop and got some new strings and cables ordered.

Pending inspection, they didn't act like it was a huge deal. Should be back in business soon.
cupofjoe04
AG
shaynew1 said:

Talked to the shop and got some new strings and cables ordered.

Pending inspection, they didn't act like it was a huge deal. Should be back in business soon.
Good news hopefully!

I'm sure limb tech has come such a long ways, its not longer a death sentence for a bow like it used to be. Similar to how barrel tech has impacted break in procedures.
shaynew1
AG
Allegedly Hoyt's designs are put through 1000 dry fires and a million draw cycles before they put them into production
LEJ
5 Our Fathers
5 Hail Marys

Go forth and sin no more... or at least not before elk season is over.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.