Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,588 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
agingcowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got it, email sent.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
arrow
AG
Thank you!
agingcowboy
AG
Here's a pic of that monster shed antler I found, in my dreams this guy is still walking around out there somewhere..

It was a couple of years old. Not sure how much these shrink sitting out but it was still massive. Seven points and that huge split G4. The fronts were 17" each. The smaller side of that split G4 was 20". I plugged the measurements into the B&C scoring sheet. Assuming it was symmetrical (which it obviously never would be) and added an average spread, this would have gone over 420"
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgEng06
AG
great googly moogly
cupofjoe04
AG
Great shed, that's an awesome animal.

What I'm hearing is a $1500 hunt, OTC tag, guaranteed 400" bull before your coffee is cold on 1st am? Ha ha, jk

I've hunted a big famous ranch in Trinidad. Great elk in area for sure!
agingcowboy
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

What I'm hearing is a $1500 hunt, OTC tag, guaranteed 400" bull before your coffee is cold on 1st am? Ha ha, jk
Yup, that's pretty much what I was trying to say. You did it in less words
cupofjoe04
AG
Do you guys follow Corey Jacobsen, Elk Hunter?
Dude posts some awesome pics and videos. Good info and stories on his feed also. He is on FB & IG- he is worth a follow/add

Posted pics of his Arizona bull... the 3rds on that thing, WOW!!! Thought you guys would appreciate.

BradMtn346
Colorado big game brochure is out. I looked at the online version and there are more "corrections" to the printed version than I have ever seen in a single year. Check it out online and make sure they do not apply to you.
LEJ
Time to start gettin back into mountain shape.

The Mountain Tough Heavy Pack workout is what I focused on last year and it put me in the best shape I've ever been in before going into the mountains.

1/4 mile timed run (rest for same time)
Do it again

1/2 mile timed run (rest for same time)
Do it again

Do it again

200 yards of lunges with loaded pack (20/40/60/?)

Move directly to stairs/bleachers with pack for 10 minutes. Up and down at modest pace.

30 seconds of planking with pack, 30 sec rest x 3

https://mtntough.com/pages/mtntough-heavy-pack-workout

It may have changed. You can download it for free from the site, and of course... there are "The 22's".

I'm baby stepping my way back to elk shape. 3rd day tryin to get my sht together.

shaynew1
AG
I've been workin my way up the post winter fitness ladder.

Today I'm headed to Seminole and then gruver and all these NW miles that don't end w me in the mountains is a frustrating tease.
cupofjoe04
AG
I chiseled out a couple hundred of ponds of ice last week, and have been shoving most days. This morning I cleared 30+ inches of packed snow from the nighbors drive, and I've shoveled mine twice today, and there is a couple inches already on it again.

It's hard to get out and run right now, but that's gotta count for something!

On the plus side- as much as a PIA as all this snow is- it should make for a beautiful hunting season in the mountians!
LEJ
Yesterday...

5+ miles hiked with modest weight

3 miles paddled

1 fish

LEJ
I dunno about Gruver, but Seminole is lovely this time of year.
cupofjoe04
AG
#WorthIt
shaynew1
AG
LEJ said:

I dunno about Gruver, but Seminole is lovely this time of year.

34 and blowing dust
LEJ
#FreePackSand
LEJ
I scouted a few new spots on local public and moved a few cameras, so I guess I got a little bit more payoff than just one bass. I've written off the one I hid real good. I think it's probably under water now anyway.

shaynew1
AG
Dinner in Lubbock then more driving all of my life.

I think I'm going to do a 2020 Alaska float trip
Aggie Hunter
AG
I hired epic outdoors to do all my state applications for me this year. Man have they saved me a lot of time I didn't have. Money well spent.
BullSprig07
AG
I listen to their podcast sometimes, they have some good info.
cc_ag92
AG
LEJ said:

Time to start gettin back into mountain shape.

The Mountain Tough Heavy Pack workout is what I focused on last year and it put me in the best shape I've ever been in before going into the mountains.

Do it again

1/2 mile timed run (rest for same time)
Do it again

Do it again

200 yards of lunges with loaded pack (20/40/60/?)

Move directly to stairs/bleachers with pack for 10 minutes. Up and down at modest pace.

30 seconds of planking with pack, 30 sec rest x 3

https://mtntough.com/pages/mtntough-heavy-pack-workout

It may have changed. You can download it for free from the site, and of course... there are "The 22's".

I'm baby stepping my way back to elk shape. 3rd day tryin to get my sht together.

How many days a week are you doing this workout?

My group has made a tire to drag this year and see how that goes.

LEJ
Ha. I'm baby steppin man! I haven't even started doing this entire workout yet, just tiny bits and pieces of it.

I've been hiking with weight quite a bit for a while now and doing a decent amount of kayaking, but really need to ramp up the high intensity cardio.

I did this workout or some variation of it (sometimes half, sometimes just 25% when short on time) 4-5 days per week last year for about 90 days before my trip.

Those weighted lunges had me hurting for 5 days after the first session. I eventually cut my time on those in half with virtually no soreness the next day.
stdeb11
AG
It's too dang cold to be running around outside plus it's ski season. I've been building up in the workout in the link below and trying to do some stair master stuff....based on what hurts, it's probably good for hiking around too

https://www.backcountry.com/explore/train-eccentric-leg-strength-for-alpine-skiing
Aggie Hunter
AG
Wyoming elk draw results come out tomorrow 2/21/19.
jetescamilla
AG
No luck in my Alaska draw.
cupofjoe04
AG

Looking good for a green summer and great fall!!!
44mAG
AG
Looks like I will be chasing elk in Wyoming this Fall! Time to get my ass in shape!

shaynew1
AG
congrats!
AgEng06
AG
Awesome!
stdeb11
AG
Nice!
cupofjoe04
AG
Heck yeah!!! Congrats bro
LEJ
Yesssssss
agenjake
Nice
shaynew1
AG
I may have ordered a bow yesterday
AgEng06
AG

What'd ya get?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.