Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,599 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
shaynew1 said:

...including a lovely photo of the bull that I did not kill last year. Ruined my morning.

LEJ
AgEng06 said:

Reminder that AZ apps for deer, sheep, etc are due tomorrow at midnight.

I'm currently struggling with the idea of putting in for points this year (I won't be hunting). I'm starting to grow weary of all of the point games in each state since I only got started a few years ago. I'm just not sure if the money/time to play the game is worth it.

I readily admit that I've gone on record with this same sentiment.

Having said that, I just put in for another AZ deer point.

Now that Ive seen things and come to know some stuff, I gots to know where this rabbit hole could go..
cupofjoe04
AG
Thread bump for my first tag coming in the mail. I still feel so privileged to have an opportunity to chase a bighorn in a tier 1 herd- considering how precious they are and how far they have come.

Now only 10,000,000 more hills to climb between now and September
AgEng06
AG
Hell yeah man!
cc_ag92
AG
Congrats that is a awesome tag!! Good Luck now go take a hike and get in shape.
agingcowboy
AG
I heard last week (or 2 weeks ago) like many of you that I drew a CO elk tag. Do they automatically send the tag by mail or is there something else I need to do? Credit card has been charged. Last year I hunted an OTC tag so I don't know how this goes down with the draw.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgEng06
AG
You should get it by mail. I haven't done the draw before either, but I ordered my OTC tag online last year and it arrived a few weeks later by mail.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I got my OTC charge a few weeks ago but I haven't received it yet. I'm sure it will be in the mail in a week or so.
agingcowboy
AG
Thanks fellas. I figured as much. Excited to chase some elk! I guess I shouldn't get too excited since I'm hunting 4th rifle...still a while to wait.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cupofjoe04
AG
Yeah, they are in the mail now. I just got my sheep tag, which drew a few weeks before deer/elk. Haven't gotten my deer tag yet. It will come automatically.
AgEng06
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I got my OTC charge a few weeks ago but I haven't received it yet. I'm sure it will be in the mail in a week or so.
I didn't think OTC licenses went on sale until August?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I applied for preference points with the option of the OTC archery tag if you don't successfully draw your unit. Since it is just preference points, it defaults to the OTC archery tag and that charge hit my account already. I just haven't received the actual tag yet.
AgEng06
AG
Ahh, got it.
agenjake
Wyoming antelope, deer, and resident elk results will be posted today at 10 AM MDT.

Wyoming Game and Fish
BigPuma
AG
Serious question guys, what do you guys that live in pretty flat country do to train for Mountain Hunting?
shaynew1
AG
Spend all year honing my mental fortitude
LEJ
Weighted lunges and bleachers. Look up "Mountain Tough Heavy Pack Workout"
BurrOak
AG
Being as the great state of Colorado makes us buy a small game license, maybe I'll actually use it now on deer and elk hunts. Found this H&R folding single shot .410 at a pawn shop. It's small and very light. It'll eventually turn into my daughters first shotgun when she gets old enough.

BullSprig07
AG
Luckily (sort of) high heat and humidity is one of the ways to most closely replicate high altitude conditions. I will try to remind myself of this when I am running up and down the banks of White Oak Bayou in Houston this afternoon to keep myself motivated. Mostly likely that motivation will last for about 3 minutes before I wind up just hating life though.
mneisch
AG
I've been doing a lot of rowing and stair climbing. Mainly just focused on working the legs and cardio. Occasionally I'll go on a 5+ mile hike with a weighted pack.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I already do a lot of squats, deadlifts, and various leg exercises but I am really focusing on cardio. The stairclimber on hill mode is good and then training out in this heat (as others mentioned) is about the best you can do.

The science behind the altitude masks isn't really there to justify the benefit (alleged increase in red blood cells). Essentially you end up burning out faster and not working on as much endurance as you should.
BigPuma
AG
Yeah, I wasn't interested in even trying those altitude masks and I read or listened to something/someone else multiple times that said it was complete and total bull**** too
shaynew1
AG
There are some trails in Cameron park w a little elevation change, but humid and no air flow so I try to get in there with some weigh in my pack and suffer for an hour or two as often as I can.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Haha good! I actually looked into them a lot after getting my ass kicked in CO two years ago by the altitude. The science is junk unless you where it 24/7.
BullSprig07
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I already do a lot of squats, deadlifts, and various leg exercises but I am really focusing on cardio. The stairclimber on hill mode is good and then training out in this heat (as others mentioned) is about the best you can do.
Quote:

Yup. Squats and deadlifts all year then a few months out gradually less weights and more cardio (or just less weight and higher rep lifting until it turns into cardio).

The science behind the altitude masks isn't really there to justify the benefit (alleged increase in red blood cells). Essentially you end up burning out faster and not working on as much endurance as you should.
Quote:

So part of the science behind training in heat being a decent altitude replicator is actually the increase in red blood cells that you get from your introducing your body to so many stressors at once.
That makes sense regarding the mask too. When I'm running up and down a bridge half-way through a 4 mile run in July in Houston I'm telling myself it's all about how long I can stay "in the suck" without quitting. The more acclimated you are to "the suck" the less "the suck" will suck when you are in the mountains trying to enjoy yourself in the fall. At least that's my simpleton way of looking at it.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Somewhat true but that's more of the mental fortitude of it. The physical side is that you'll be more likely to only complete 2 miles of training vs 4 with a mask on and your overall decrease in training will outweigh whatever temporary (that the key word here) benefit you receive from the mask.
BullSprig07
AG
ya I follow you. I'm not a mask user, I think my reply got too wordy.
AgEng06
AG
I agree with you about "the suck". Last year I didn't do any hiking/packing specific workouts, but I do CrossFit 4-5 times a week. What CF has taught me is that I can endure "the suck" for a lot longer than I think, and I am able to just keep pushing through regardless of how tired/winded I feel.

That experience came in handy packing out 2 bulls over 3-4 miles each.

Edit to add: Obviously my workouts keep me physically fit as well, but I still think the biggest benefit is the mental aspect.
arrow
AG
Riding a pedal bike is my favorite way to prepare for mountain hunting. Even riding the small hills in "flat" north Texas seem to replicate the heavy pack burn of mountain hunting better than my other training routines.
agenjake
Got my doe/fawn antelope tag for Unit 103 in Wyoming. I'll be squeezing in a hunt over a family Thanksgiving trip. Can't wait.
LEJ
I'm really behind the curve this year but the snowball is rollin down hill and pickin up steam. It topped out at 110 here today in west Texas so I'm gonna wait a bit longer to get my work out on this evening. I like dodging rattle snakes in dim light. Builds character.
cupofjoe04
AG
LEJ said:

I like dodging rattle snakes in dim light. Builds character.

There ya go, build up that agility!

A couple days ago I was running some steep terrain in our canyon, and rounded the corner about the same time a bear did. I'm pretty sure we both soiled ourselves. That'll make you realize how fast you really can bust it up hill with adrenaline! My legs were SHREDDED the next day though...
LEJ
I'm planning to do a little bear dodging in about 3 weeks.
cupofjoe04
AG
Got a little something in the mail today. I'm going floorless this year. Will be ordering a stove soon. I'm leaning towards the LiteOutdoors 18" cylinder.

Here is a little initial review. I'll let y'all know more after we do a night in it.

I ordered a Luxe Octopeak, because it was the biggest tipi I could afford that would house my whole fam when I need it to. Labeled as a 6 person... if it's 6 full sized guys you would have to be pretty dang good friends, and no gear in the tent. You could easily do 4 adults and 4 backpacks. Though this is a big one, I wouldn't hesitate to pack it in for just 1 or 2 people. The whole set up is about 2 lbs- probably right at 3 with the floor. I did get a bathtub floor that will cover just over 1/2 the inside as well. Build quality was is very good, material is exactly what I expected. Shipping was very fast from Luxe.

It was easy enough to pitch. This was my first time, and there were no instructions. Just stake it out, put the center pole on, and tighten. The tensioners are very nice- solid and easy to adjust. I'll probably play with a few different heights and see what I like best. Anyone got any pro tips for staking these out? Not that it was hard, just looking for advice.

This one has the snow skirt and the stove jack. The stove jack is a very nice option, and I'm sure will be awesome when I get a stove. It is removable (velcro), and includes a rain cover. It does have what appears to be a stove pipe sleeve built into the bottom for side venting, something I didn't know was on these. You would have to have a stove pipe shield/surround though, as it is just normal tent material on the sleeve.

There is a vent over the door, and it seems to be a pretty good size. I have my doubts as to how much it will actually vent. I'll probably make a mosquito netting cover for the stove jack, to get a little more air that way when not using the stove. Of course, the snow skirts can be pulled up to create some good air flow. The tent could use a built in system to tie the skirts up, like some have. But, you get what you pay for, and this thing was dang affordable.

All in all, it's exactly what I expected, and I am very pleased thus far. I'm really looking forward to floorless camping this summer, and having a hot tent for hunting this fall!!!

-edit to add- with the outer tent, bathtub floor, stakes & guy lines, center pole, fire shield for the stove, and all stuff sacks- the whole thing weights right at 6 pounds. All of that fits in the original stuff sack for the tent. Could reduce size with a compression sack.
LEJ
The owner of LO (Brennen) was very helpful in answering my many questions by phone and emails. I have the 18.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.