Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

141,654 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
BurrOak
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks. I drew Laguna a few years ago, but I wasn't able to go.
harge57
AG
I drew this year and skipped it as well. The mandatory orientation at 9 am the morning before the hunt makes it a tough trip.
cupofjoe04
AG
Got my first solo elk tonight. It was a fantastic hunt, very cold, and a bit of a butt kicker for the pack out. Elk sure make you earn every calorie.

I lucked into a New Mexico cow tag, which is nice because I live about 30 miles from the unit. Been scouting these elk off and on for a few weeks. Seeing lots move through after each snow storm- San Juan elk migrating south. But, it was sporadic at best, so I was hesitant to activate my 5 day tag.

I finally found a set of drainages off a high ridge, that was a migration route down into the Indian Reservation. I found a pair of meadows right up against some steep dark timber, with a spring trickling below. Pretty clear elk were in the area.

Scouted last week and saw 2 groups of cows with some rag horn bulls. I went back Sunday and sat the opposing ridge and watched another group of 20 cows/calves feed out in the same meadow. They went back up the dark timber, seeking refuge from the impending snow storm.

Wednesday was the next day I could break free, and I sat back on the opposing ridge, and saw the same group of cows as well as another group with a pair of spikes, feed out of the timber and into the meadow. They were consistently coming right at 5:00, just enough time to shoot.

Yesterday, I went and sat the meadow. I put in 5 hours, knowing it was likely to come down to the last 30 mins. 5:00 came and went with no elk. Shooting time was over at 5:28. It was 5:31 when I started to see shadows moving on the edge of the meadow. A few minutes later, a couple cows trickled into the field. I had to sit there and FREEZE until it got dark enough for me to silently (as possible in snow) slip away.

Tonight, the wind was different, which allowed me to slip around the meadow and sit the opposite side. I got there extra early, and SLOWLY crept my way up the hill, overlooking the draws they had been coming down. I got to the top, and settled in, watching a couple well used trails in the snow. I could see the meadow below me, as well.

After a few more frigid hours, I caught movement in the meadow. A small group of 5 cows had come from the opposite side, and were feeding out in the open. I ranged them, 468 yards. Doable if I had to, but I would like to cut a little distance for sure. I'm trying to find a small bench or some vantage between the cows and I, but I think if I drop off the ridge I will be obstructed until the edge of the meadow, at which point I would be too close to quietly move in the snow. I decide to sit tight and see what happens. I figured those larger herds were staging in the timber, waiting for dark to come out in the open.

Sure enough, at about 3:45, as the shadows begin to envelop our hillside. I see some elk staring to descend in the timber. All I can see are glimpses here and there, but there's movement in them there hills!

I start to put together enough glimpses to make an educated guess as to which trail they are using, and quietly move to intercept. I push forward a few hundred yards, and I'm looking across a small drainage right at a group of about 35 elk working through the trees. They are about 350 yards, moving in heavy timber/brush. If they keep their current course, they will clear the trees and come into the meadow 274 yards away, slightly down hill.

It is a tense few minutes (felt like an hour) as I watch the ears, tails, and legs filter through the brush. Finally, like waiting on a bag of popcorn, they suddenly begin to pop out. One....... two..... three... four, five. The edges of the meadow have quite a few Juniper/Cedar trees, and they are hanging up in them. I had gotten all lined up on a good opening, but now as I get down on my scope I have to strain to get centered. I guess laying down in the snow, it compressed and maybe melted a little. I'm sunk in too much.

A quick squirm gets me in a good solid position, and I draw a bead on the opening. A tasty looking cow breaks into the clear. I feel my heart quicken, so I draw 2 deep breaths, and settle in on the elk. Time seems to stand still, as I give her a little elk mew whistle. She pauses, slightly quartering away, so I pull back a little and focus on a hair. With a clean, predictable break, the Bergara sends one down range. I hear a very satisfying thump. The 6.5CM Hornady 143gr ELD-X hits true and does it's job efficiently. She takes about 15 steps, then DRT.

Shot her at 4:15pm- not much daylight left. I give her just a few minutes, then boogey on over. I find her crumpled up just past the tree she was standing by. A few quick pics, then I start racing the dark and cold. She is quartered and bagged by 5:32. I grab all my gear, and the bag with backstraps, loins, and trimmings and start down the hill. It's an up and down affair, as I have to cross a few drainages to get back to my Jeep the most direct way.

I'm down at 6:25, and grab a drink and a quick snack while I let my legs recover. Empty out the frame pack, and strap on an orange plastic sled I borrowed from my kids. I get back up to the elk a little after 7:00. I put both front shoulders on my back, strap the rear quarters to the sled, and away we go. After a little adjusting because the legs kept catching things, I finally get the butter zone and the sled follows me wherever I go. It's brutal going uphill. But I keep thinking "this is better than 3 trips... this is better than 3 trips". On the real steep downhills, I decided to sit atop the meat and sort of ride it down. It doesn't go smoothly, but I'm able to sort of swim my way along- hey at least I'm off my feet!

Finally down at 8:15pm. It is hovering around 7 degrees, and I've worked up quite a sweat. I am so thankful to strip down and jump into the warm Jeep. I'm very tired, but incredibly blessed to have (more) meat for the freezer!

These pics make it look much lighter than it was, I had to edit them so you could see. It is big country behind the camera, with the steep timber they came down.

My savior- the ELK SLED (patent pending, ha ha). Saved me from making 3 trips in the snow and ice. 2 shoulders and 2 rear quarters all in one load.

harge57
AG
Nice. That sled is genius.
LEJ
Awesome.

You kinda have a serial killer look going on in that last pic. Between that, and me picturing you riding a meat sled, I feel like I'm going to lol at wildly inappropriate times over the next couple days.
cupofjoe04
AG
LEJ said:

Awesome.

You kinda have a serial killer look going on in that last pic. Between that, and me picturing you riding a meat sled, I feel like I'm going to lol at wildly inappropriate times over the next couple days.

I should have gotta a pic back at the Jeep then... still giddy, exhausted, frozen, and covered in a mix of snow and blood.
stdeb11
AG
Awesome! Congrats man!

And the sled rocks! I used one once on a mule deer that was all down hill. So nice. Great back saver.
shaynew1
AG
Joe with the late surge for western OBer of the year!
cupofjoe04
AG
shaynew1 said:

Joe with the late surge for western OBer of the year!

Maybe if I had at least gotten within a few miles of a sheep during my ewe hunt, I might qualify to be in the running...

2 years more years and 2 points- and those sheep better watch out!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.