Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,559 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BurrOak said:

Anyone ever used packing goats?

Pack goats to haul a goat.

cupofjoe04
AG
Thanks for the info. I've never dealt with them, even though I drive by them every single day, my house is just down the canyon from them. I couldn't throw a rock and hit them, but I could dang sure reach their pasture with a gun if I had line of sight.

I know several people with horses, the problem is that everyone else is hunting right now too! Might just have to huff it back in, and have a guide I know who has a camp a couple miles away on speed dial for a pack out if needed. Or, just go get Blue Duck and have a grand ole time!
AgLA06
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

Or, just go get Blue Duck and have a grand ole time!

My vote! Please document in it's entirety.
stdeb11
AG
Nothing works better than a real live decoy...
agenjake
What happened to the positive attitude being an animal attractant spiel? Just let the sheep come to you!
arrow
AG
We had a great hunt. I need to post a video and some pics as soon as I get caught up.
cupofjoe04
AG
agenjake said:

What happened to the positive attitude being an animal attractant spiel? Just let the sheep come to you!

BOOM! That's the idea. I'll sit down at about 8,000' by the lake with a pitcher of margaritas and a great attitude and watch the sheep come pouring down!
Blue Duck
AG

A full write up and pictures will be coming soon but these were a couple I grabbed off the camera to look at on the ride home. It was my first hunting trip in the mountains and it's safe to say I'm hooked. I'm already scheming for next year.
BullSprig07
AG
That sounds frickin awesome!
Texas 1836
AG
shaynew1 said:

I tell everyone that's considering it they need to go. No ones getting any younger.
This. I'm leaving in the morning for a solo elk hunt backpacking. With a muzzle loader. A lot of firsts.

I turned 50 not long ago. It feels like being on the roller coaster as it tops the big hill. You're in the front but just hanging there until the rest of the cars come over. Then you know it will pick up speed fast.

As someone told me, you'll run out of health before you run out money.
agenjake
Yeah, I would pay good money for that kind of hunting trip.
LEJ
Finally getting around to a full recap of my trip. Ankle feels better but still sore and questionable. Still planning to head back for last week of season but it might have to be a different experience.

At any rate, I'm gonna try to post some pics and hit the high points. This may take a few days.

Part 1:

Got my 10 day pack to right at 50# for the 8 mile hike to base camp at 10,700 feet.

On my drive from town to my TH, I always try to pound as much water, and sometimes pickle juice, as I can. Water is free in the area where I like to hunt, so I never carry any in with me. Just stop and scoop at each opportunity and keep on sippin throughout the day. I have a sawyer bottle type container with internall filter to sip from and I always take several empty bag type containers plus a screw on sawyer filter and a good number of iodine tabs.

Right before I was ready to hit the trail, a guy from Lobo Outfitters came running up to me in the parking lot as I was on the back of my truck locking down coolers and fiddling with gear. "Can you plz help us? We gotta problem with a horse". I'm thinking, "buddy, unless that horse needs killin, I don't think I'm the help you're lookin for", but I jumped off my truck and ran over to the "scene".

When I make it over, first thing I see is a horse ass, then his head, and all 4 feet AND legs literally wrapped around the back right tire of a brand new shiny ford pickup. The side panel was scratched the hell up and beat to sht.

We tried pulling and tugging on all four legs without much luck. One leg came flying out and almost whacked all 3 of us in the face. Then somehow, the dumb ass horse got it stuck right back. Since I wasn't getting paid to get stomped, I changed my perspective a bit and suggested that we (we being not me but one of the hired hands) let the air out of that tire. Don't know if that helped or not but we finally got all 4 legs out. The horse had given up by this point, laying flat on ground with eyes rolled back in his head.

He was cut up on his hocks pretty good but soon popped up, walked a bit and seemed alright. They called for another hand to bring a sub horse, I quietly slid outta that sht show, and hit the trail.
AgEng06
AG
I'm on on this trip recap... let's have it!

And where are pics of the horse!
shaynew1
AG
Your description of the horse predicament boggles me a little.

How the f did he get there w the truck driving road to trailhead speeds?
LEJ
No pics. Thought it might be a bit uncouth considering the cussing and desperation and all. I think we all thought we were gonna have broken legs and a horse to put down.

The truck & trailer were stationary in the lot. The one guy said the horse spooked at something right after he walked him off the trailer and then, somehow, total n complete cluster F.
shaynew1
AG
Dang man if that would have happened at the front end of my hunt I would have had to just knife him there and sort it out when I got back.
shaynew1
AG
Especially if the idiot did it to himself on a parked truck
LEJ
They were taking 3 dudes from Utah up for a drop camp. Those guys were mortified and come to think of it now, pretty useless during the whole ordeal. I still don't really even understand why the one outfitter guy came up to me for help. Whole thing was strange.
AgEng06
AG
You probably just looked like a dude that could get sh*t done.
LEJ
Maybe so. I've run into those 2 outfitter hands several times over the years and the one even called out to me before the sht show started to say hello. Their clients, I've now realized, are the ones who were skylining themselves on the ridge lines 2 years ago and spookin deer all over the mtn.
LEJ
Part 2:

Grouse hiking up. Season not open yet. Get to base camp after grueling 8 mile hike with 50#. Slept from 9pm-4am straight. I think that's a record for me at that kinda altitude.

Opening Day: Hike 1.5 hrs to my spike camp at 12k. It's a deer bed I discovered 2 years ago. Bumped a young buck out of it and set up "camp". No water here except for a dinky stream in the canyon a quarter mile away where the bucks like to hang... had to haul it up. 140 oz lasted me 3 days.

Got a feel for what the deer were up to and stalked a bachelor group of 9 (can't see all in pic) to 130 yards. Ran outta light. Don't push it. Live to fight another day.

shaynew1
AG
Gotdang you get me all warmed up and then the post just ends
AgEng06
AG
shaynew1 said:

Gotdang you get me all warmed up and then the post just ends
Same.
LEJ
Part 3 Quickie

Damn you boys are restless.

A neck gaiter is a must have this time of year at 12k. Wind and intense sunrays are a bad combo for fair skinned folk. My ears looked like a frostbit panhandle Hereford steer last year.

Day 2: This is my target buck

One of the Utah boys was skylined on this ridge line about 200 yards towards the peak the day before, glassing. This buck would be impossible to see from that position and he's impossible to stalk from anywhere as long as he stays in that cave.

Over the course of the day, he moved from "way the hell out there" to "practically right underneath me"... ~ 109 yards. Just didn't trust the setup or daylight to try a stalk. I had felt a little like I had chickened out at first, but it prob turned out to be a good call.
AgLA06
AG
You're such a tease.
cupofjoe04
AG
AgLA06 said:

You're such a tease.

He has finally figured out the best way to get blue stars!!! Just break a post up and you can get multiple stars from everyone!

Because we all know that is all LEJ cares about- popularity... ha ha ha, jk
LEJ
Savage
LEJ
Part 4: Day 3 of season. Things get much more interesting. 5 of the younger, smaller bucks I'd seen in the group of 9 walk 50 yards above my deer bed spike camp. It was actually about 7:30am and I was just rollin outta bed and gathering my stuff. Thermals were still doing the normal down the mtn thing so they never whiffed me.

I actually had an arrow nocked and ready to go but it just didn't feel right. It was a good decision.

I waited a while bc I needed to use that trail they're on to get over the ridge and on to my hunting grounds.
shaynew1
AG
Dang I guess it says a lot about me that ida been hard pressed to not shoot one in my undies
LEJ
It was a difficult decision. I just knew that I really wanted to stalk one though. Questioned it for the rest of the day.
AgLA06
AG
Where the hell is the rest of the story?!?
LEJ
I'm doin laundry bro and I gotta go buy some new britches and stuff. I'm dealing with a lotta sht here!

Gimme a bit.
cupofjoe04
AG
Prescribed fire north of Pagosa - pretty close to the house this year. For those hunting up here, you may have smoke, as it's blowing straight across the main avenue north. Although so far all the smoke is staying in town. If the wind shifts, it could go right up a few trialheads

Yesterday: my house is about 1/2 between where this pic was taken from and the fire

Today: seems to be a darker, thicker, heavier smoke . Much more irritating

LEJ
Then we shall hunt in the shade!
cupofjoe04
AG
LEJ said:

Then we shall hunt in the shade!

That's what I'm talking about!!!

I'll be hitting the trailhead tomorrow afternoon. Going to see how far I can get before dark. I have heard there are 2 groups of sheep hunters in the area I'm going, but on the opposite side. Hopefully they have bumped them towards me, and not further towards the divide...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.