Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,569 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, now you tell me... thanks, Brad
BullSprig07
AG
Goodness
44mAG
AG
How do y'all feel about building bonus points in Montana? I currently am, but I am not sure if its worth it, or it's an endless chase. My understanding is that the bonus points are used only to draw limited tags. They also have preference points, which are used only for the general deer/elk combo license. Looks like preference points aren't really meant to be piled up, because you have to actually apply the year after buying one, or you lose it. Bonus points, you can pile as many as you want, until you draw a first choice license. Are there places in Montana where you can draw limited tags with only like 2-5 bonus points? Or does it take 20+ with point creep meaning I will never be able to draw?

Edit: After writing this, I think I remember that bonus points draws are actually random draws, and bonus points just put your name in the hat more often. They don't go to the person with the most points. So, I guess I answered my own question, that yes it's worth it just to increase odds for when I want to apply in the future.
BullSprig07
AG
I never jumped into Montana cause it seemed like such a mess and I figured if I ever hunted there it would be on the general elk/deer combo tag. At that point it was 100% guarantee to draw it though and now that's changed so I've thought about adding them to the list of yearly donations.
44mAG
AG
Water Turkey07 said:

I never jumped into Montana cause it seemed like such a mess and I figured if I ever hunted there it would be on the general elk/deer combo tag. At that point it was 100% guarantee to draw it though and now that's changed so I've thought about adding them to the list of yearly donations.
Yea I hear you. It's my understanding that the bonus points cannot be used for a general combo tag. Only preference points. But, it says basically you can only build one preference point, then you have to apply the next year or you lose it (and it seems that right now, you would for sure get drawn with one point). I know that I will not be hunting Montana for at least another six years or so, so I won't be buying a preference point, only bonus.
arrow
AG
44mAG said:

Water Turkey07 said:

Yea I hear you. It's my understanding that the bonus points cannot be used for a general combo tag. Only preference points. But, it says basically you can only build one preference point, then you have to apply the next year or you lose it (and it seems that right now, you would for sure get drawn with one point). I know that I will not be hunting Montana for at least another six years or so, so I won't be buying a preference point, only bonus.
This is all true. I have family in Montana now so I keep buying a PP "just in case". I also buy a BP and apply for sheep and goat because I'm a sucker.
Todd 02
AG
Do I understand correctly that to buy a preference point for elk in Colorado as a non-resident, I have to buy, at a minimum, a small game license, a habitat stamp, and pay the application fee?

So I'm looking at a minimum of $100 for a preference point? Is that it or is there a fee for the point itself?

I bought one last year and I think it cost me about $53 total.

Side Rant: Why is this all so damn complicated?
LEJ
Supply, Demand, $
44mAG
AG
Todd 02 said:

Do I understand correctly that to buy a preference point for elk in Colorado as a non-resident, I have to buy, at a minimum, a small game license, a habitat stamp, and pay the application fee?

So I'm looking at a minimum of $100 for a preference point? Is that it or is there a fee for the point itself?

I bought one last year and I think it cost me about $53 total.

Side Rant: Why is this all so damn complicated?
You are correct. No more PP fee per animal for elk, pronghorn, and deer. You do however have to buy the $81 license. Plus the stamp, plus the $9 fee (up from $3). I spent $85 last year for a point for all three, this year cost me ~$118.
BullSprig07
AG
I think part of their plan with making it so cheap last year was to sucker people in to buying their first points and then hoodwink them with price hikes this year figuring even if some people bailed that enough would stay in the game to be a net win $ wise.
cupofjoe04
AG
Water Turkey07 said:

I think part of their plan with making it so cheap last year was to sucker people in to buying their first points and then hoodwink them with price hikes this year figuring even if some people bailed that enough would stay in the game to be a net win $ wise.

I seriously doubt this was a plan. They tried to make changes last year (and even a while back), and realized how costly just selling points for $3 really was. They didn't anticipate what happened. So, this is an attempt to swing the pendulum back to normal. Hey- it used to cost the full price of a license to get a point, even if you did get the money back.

But, there aren't any elk in Colorado anyway, so it's not worth messing with. I hear Idaho is nice, you should try there
BradMtn346
I just finished my Colorado applications. Here are a few highlights.

You have to add a small game lisence to your cart first.

You don't have to pay for preference point for anything other than sheep, goat and moose. (sgm)

You can opt out of the preference point fee, but you won't get a point.

If you already have 3 point for sgm, you stand a chance of drawing. The weighted points help, but not a lot. If you have 3, and the point fees are an issue, opt out.

When checking out, you have to select a delivery method and shipping for your small game lisence. Spring turkey qualifies too. I missed seeing this and got an error message a couple of times.

Hope this helps.
cupofjoe04
AG

San Juans looking strong this year! They are now beginning to worry about the opposite problem of last year- flooding.

Already a horrendous avalanche season. Mud season will likely bring on quite a few slides as well.
LEJ
Post some pics of downtown if you dont mind. As many trips and as much time as I've spent around there, I've never seen snow in Pagosa Springs.
BradMtn346
cupofjoe04 said:

San Juans looking strong this year! They are now beginning to worry about the opposite problem of last year- flooding.

Already a horrendous avalanche season. Mud season will likely bring on quite a few slides as well.

Streams are going to be blown out until July.
cupofjoe04
AG
Yep. I was thinking of organizing an early July trip for the TexAgs guys, but it might need to be a late July trip.

We usually do baptisms in the river in downtown Pagosa in the summer. I'm hoping it will be clam enough by August to do some...
shaynew1
AG
I maybe enjoyed a gin or three this evening and pitched moving to MT to my wife.

Not received warmly. Will update.
AgEng06
AG
Good luck, bro.
shaynew1
AG
Thanks
shaynew1
AG
She ain't gonna leave her madre y su seesters. But you never know unless you ask
LEJ
shaynew1 said:

She ain't gonna leave her madre y su seesters.

[url]
[/url]
shaynew1
AG
No progress to report
LEJ
I think, if somehow, the kid's first word is "Montana"... this could give you an edge. Play the long game.
shaynew1
AG
We will give it a whirl
cupofjoe04
AG
I think the HGTV Dream Home giveaway this year is in Montana. Just win that bad boy, and problem solved.
LEJ
New Mexico ... due tomorrow at 5pm MST. I'm starting to hate NM again.
arrow
AG
Just finished my New Mexico app. Got in Montana last week.
shaynew1
AG
Got mine in also.

Trying to decide if I want to throw monies at oryx and sheeps.
BullSprig07
AG
I got a new credit card that earns me double miles on all purchases specifically for the expensive pay-up-front New Mexico apps. Actually using it for all my hunting expenses but the New Mexico Apps run up the miles real quick. Trying to rack up enough for an Alaska flight.
stdeb11
AG
I'm out in NM this year. Trying to buy a house and couldn't justify the money compared to resident CO tag prices...and the lack of pref points there

Good luck to everyone who put in
cupofjoe04
AG
Water Turkey07 said:

Trying to rack up enough for an Alaska flight.

That's a good strategy. Will there be a hunting trip connected to that flight?
LEJ
stdeb11 said:

I'm out in NM this year. Trying to buy a house and couldn't justify the money compared to resident CO tag prices...and the lack of pref points there

Good luck to everyone who put in

I'd feel sorry for you if you weren't already a Colorado resident who's about to be a homeowner there too!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Water Turkey07 said:

I got a new credit card that earns me double miles on all purchases specifically for the expensive pay-up-front New Mexico apps. Actually using it for all my hunting expenses but the New Mexico Apps run up the miles real quick. Trying to rack up enough for an Alaska flight.

Alaskan Airlines was great when we flew to Alaska last year! Easy to check gun, ice chests, and very friendly.
Log
AG
I had enough free cash reserves to apply for everything in NM this year. I really only expect deer and elk to possibly pan out though. But you can't win unless you play.

CO app is up next.
LEJ
I applied for archery deer in three SE desert units, 2 of which I've hunted before. Still have a camera out in one of them that I need to go fetch one day.

NM is getting greedier with their required fee and season changes but these changes could actually help boost odds, in some cases. It will be interesting to see how many guys apply for some of these new categories that are... less than "decent".

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.