Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,589 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
shaynew1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pinche oak brush. Only hunted three days but been such a beatdown it feel like a week.
shaynew1
AG
Here are some happier photographs

Was able to get a wheeler to 70 yards above it. I hauled all the quarters up while they were caping him. I hate the pinche oak brush. Got my shins all skinned up.

I'm drinking the whiskey for luck.

cupofjoe04
AG
Way to go, that's a nice bull. Now go get yours, brother! Gonna be a good day tomorrow!!!
AgEng06
AG
Awesome!
stdeb11
AG
Awesome! Good luck out there today.

6 more hours to go at work and I'm headed for the hills
shaynew1
AG
Got one stuck. Pray it's good enough to find him in this pinche 10 ft tall brush.

He's only a one, not a big one.
AgEng06
AG
Anxiously awaiting the follow up!
cupofjoe04
AG
shaynew1 said:

Got one stuck. Pray it's good enough to find him in this pinche 10 ft tall brush.

He's only a one, not a big one.

Awesome! You'll find him

And, they are All big ones, doesn't matter about the antlers!!!
shaynew1
AG
No luck. Not much blood. Found where he made it out of the oak brush up onto the hill and the blood petered out. He seemed like he was moving ok.

Combed it good for a long time. Feel pretty bummed and thought it was a solid hit.
cupofjoe04
AG
Bummer bro. Those suckers can be squirrelly in that thick stuff.
stdeb11
AG
Ah darn. Bummer. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day for you....keep hammering brother
shaynew1
AG
I feel guilty.

Complete pass through.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
**** happens. Coyotes and ravens gotta eat.
shaynew1
AG
It's worse than you know

Decided to do my penance and call exclusively for my buddy. Still carried my bow but was dedicated to getting him one. We peeped a bull and made a move to get on him. Stashed him in a good spot and I rolled back into the brush another 80 yards to pull him by. It was a young bull and I thought it was a done deal. They have been coming in slow and quiet so I knew we'd need some patience.

Then 15 minutes in another bull comes in to me through the brush. Was only calling seldom and heard him creeping in. Finally got a glance at him across a creek at 70 w him inching in. Then for 30 minutes we played Ring around the oak brush as he'd lose interest and I'd mew him back around. Drew three times as he was heading towards different holes in the brush. Finally he gave me a gap to shoot at 60 and I whacked him. Ran 50 yards and piled up. Finally got him down.

Stand by for photographs.
shaynew1
AG
FirefightAg
AG
Nice elk
cupofjoe04
AG
Way to stay with it brother!!!! Awesome bull

I love those curly 1sts
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Great job! Excited for you.
AgEng06
AG
Helllll yeah. Nice work man! Awesome bull.
mneisch
AG
Good work! Nice bull
Blue Duck
AG
That's awesome! Congrats!
lazuras_dc
AG
Great job at keeping at it !

On another note how are folks condition/workout routines going ?? Care to share ?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I've lost all of the weight I gained when I first started running... so I am back at square one but am able to run a lot more. 2 weeks from today I'll be in the mountains. I cannot wait!
txaggie02
AG
Hell yeah! Congrats on the bull!
cupofjoe04
AG
lazuras_dc said:

On another note how are folks condition/workout routines going ?? Care to share ?

A strained achilles on the left and a fairly bad injury to the right foot kept me hobbled (and reduced activity per dr orders) during the 8 weeks leading up to my hunt. But, my weight is right where it needs to be, my feet are FINALLY healed enough to take some weight, and my lungs are decent. It's my legs that are gonna get me. I Just haven't been able to do incline/decline nearly enough to get my legs strong as they need to be. I've already had to tell a friend I couldn't help him pack an elk down yesterday. Hated doing that, but simply can't risk it, especially because he was about 8 miles back in...

My feet held up well during my antelope hunt, only felt strained a time or two. But that's a PALE comparison to trying to pull a sheep off a mountain, let alone a sheep and a mule deer.

Plan B: scrap the muley and focus on the sheep. Maybe hunt a deer down low if I get a sheep back home in time. I'm also trying to see if I can borrow a horse to at least get my junk to treeline, and maybe pack it down. I'll still have to do the several miles and extreme vert on foot daily from camp.

I'm just gearing up for the simple fact that this is gonna be a suck fest, and trying to climb every step I possibly can over the next 12 days.
BullSprig07
AG
I tore a hip flexor doing squats that kept me from running/hills/lunges 22's for pretty much all of August. I was limping around all month. The one thing I could do that didn't bother it was spin, which I had never done and griped about mercilessly to my wife when I saw the price tag on her peloton but came in handy while I was a worthless gimp. It's no replacement for hiking/running/lunges/22's but it at least kept my body from turning into a disgusting Private Pyle fat body.

Luckily not hunting until 1st rifle so will have to make up for lost time this month.
shaynew1
AG
Heading home after a depressing ending to the week.

Called one in to eight yards and buddy flung a straight muscle shot. Was confident it wasnt fatal, but Trailed him up into the forest through the brush for a mile. Eventually lost blood in my favorite mfing oak brush. Was crawling around in the brush for four hours. Was so far from the wheeler at one point we contemplated staying on the mountain. That stuff is emotionally draining

Worst part is, got everything on film. Womp
Freaking womp.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Man that really stinks, sorry to hear that.

Having never stuck an elk, what do you really mean by muscle shot? Shoulder with lack of penetration/too far forward?
AgEng06
AG
Damn, that sucks. But kudos on you for spending the extra time looking for him even though the shot was bad.
shaynew1
AG
Ya you can hit them forward or in the blade where it doesn't get vitals, but bleeds really like a stuck pig. Got to chase them down and get another arrow in them otherwise they'll just walk off on you. And I think they survive a lot of them.
shaynew1
AG
It was a great hunt up till the end. Pulled a bull off some cows and he came in screaming.

Had he not shot I think he would have walked over the top of him. I had him real pissed.
AgEng06
AG
I got word that LEJ has punched his deer tag. I'll let him follow up with the details.

shaynew1
AG
YESSSSS
cupofjoe04
AG
Yeah, I'm hearing good things from the mountain from LEJ. Couldn't be happier for him!!!!
shaynew1
AG
Few random photos on the drive home:

Profile pic of bull

Both bull were mondo fat and two of the largest bodies I've ever seen

Guy down the road had a walk in we were able to use. Tremendous help because it was 95 degrees. Slipped that dude some cash on the way out.

Had a muley tag, but didn't see anything I was too fired up to shoot. Put a stalk on one yesterday through the godawful brush...nicked a cable wrestling in the bushes. Hunt over.

Took a shower at a hotel last night. Five days of the bull**** brush popping. I left my gaiters at home since it was going to be so hot.

Don't think I'm going to be able to hunt NM this year, but hoping to make it back to Colorado for 2nd rifle to load some cattle and put my dad on a bull.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.