Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,579 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
mneisch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We bought some while up there after the snow the first day. I wouldn't go again without having them packed in the truck.
harge57
AG
Anyone have experience in NM Unit 36?

I have a mule deer hunt there 11/9-11/13.

I have done a ton of e-scouting and have a bunch of places marked, and got a few suggestions from the local BLM guy, but would love to hear from anyone with on the ground experience in that unit. All I have done is ski'd up there.
mneisch
AG
Comfort rated at 23 degrees I believe, but didn't feel that warm to me. I would have really struggled if it wasn't for the bag liner. I pretty much slept in all my clothes including a hooded down puffy, merino long johns, beanie and socks, and down booties.
AgEng06
AG
Back and rested from 2nd rifle. Will post a report soon, but I was able to tag a muley.
Maverick06
AG
Gotta climb into the fart sack in just your skivies. Thought it was crazy but have been hunting in CO for 6 years now and it's the only way I stay warm at night.
lazuras_dc
AG
mneisch said:

Comfort rated at 23 degrees I believe, but didn't feel that warm to me. I would have really struggled if it wasn't for the bag liner. I pretty much slept in all my clothes including a hooded down puffy, merino long johns, beanie and socks, and down booties.
Do you guys use fleece liner? I used a liner for the first time but didn't seem like it did jack sh*!
Had a 15 deg bag with my liner and It probably got down to about 15 at night. But I was still shivering. Had wool beanie, socks, long johns and long sleeve on, and I juggled between putting on a puffy.

What I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XBW19QR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What I should* have got? Maybe?: https://www.amazon.com/Litume-Backpacking-Traveling-Lightweight-Drawstring/dp/B07YNF7JNV/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=fleece+sleeping+bag+liner&qid=1572290324&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExSldGTU4yT1BQQUpRJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODIyNjY2MUhZSkhJQzdNMEZHRiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTA3MTUwMlVXQUw4QTNRS1NBMiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
the more I think about it the more I believe we were getting into single digits overnight. I read a rule of thumb that temperature drops 3.5-5 degrees for every 1000 feet of altitude and the forecast for the nearest town (1k' down) was what, 20? But mostly that gravity water filter freezing solid with like a gallon of water in it. It was chilly. Thank goodness for hot water in Nalgenes and a (barely) functioning stove!
stdeb11
AG
I use a light liner but I don't think it does much for temp rating despite all their claims. I mostly like it for keeping the bag cleaner.

What bag do you have? Is it EN rated to 15 for comfort?
mneisch
AG
I was using this one: https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Reactor-Extreme-Thermolite/dp/B003BIT004/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=sea+to+summit+liner&qid=1572292897&sr=8-3

It seemed to help, but hard to know since I was still shivering all night.
lazuras_dc
AG
https://www.rei.com/product/107473/marmot-trestles-15-sleeping-bag-mens?CAWELAID=120217890003368899&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=15724606120&CATCI=pla-140602850200&cm_mmc=PLA_Google%7C404_9732%7C1074730001%7Cnone%7Cca954e2a-9eb2-41c5-8a1e-b6480c4bb021%7Cpla-140602850200&lsft=cm_mmc:PLA_Google_LIA%7C404_9732%7C1074730001%7Cnone%7Cca954e2a-9eb2-41c5-8a1e-b6480c4bb021&kclid=ca954e2a-9eb2-41c5-8a1e-b6480c4bb021&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzYfx7Oi_5QIV0YZbCh2W8QF5EAQYASABEgK-aPD_BwE

So i realize the temp probably went below even its tested lower limit. probably why it was so cold
LEJ
I broke down and bought a -10 degree "Convert" from EE a couple years ago. Ain't nobody got time fo shiverin.
harge57
AG
LEJ said:

I broke down and bought a -10 degree "Convert" from EE a couple years ago. Ain't nobody got time fo shiverin.

I have a zero degree bag that is almost always too hot for september. When I am packing I always think I'm going to take the 15 degree bag, but then I remember the night it snowed 2 feet and the tipi collapsed on September 20th.
cupofjoe04
AG
mneisch said:

I was using this one: https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Reactor-Extreme-Thermolite/dp/B003BIT004/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=sea+to+summit+liner&qid=1572292897&sr=8-3

It seemed to help, but hard to know since I was still shivering all night.

I also have a reactor and use it, definitely makes a difference (but not as much as advertised I suppose). The key- like someone mentioned earlier is getting in the bag in your skivvies. Seems totally backwards, but: start cold sleep warm, start warm sleep cold. I think if you are warm when you get in, you will sweat ever so slightly when the bag heats up (after you fall asleep), then you shiver all night. If you are chilly when you get it, you can feel the bag start to warm as your body pumps blood. I don't know the science/biology, just my experience.

I also think all rules go out the window at a certain temp- and you just need a tipi with a stove to stay warm.

If it is really cold, I'll put a jacket around the foot box of my bag, maybe some loose wool socks on my feet, and keep a hat beside me to throw on my head if needed.
harge57
AG
Contemplating paying $280 for a bear tag during my NM mule deer hunt. Will be in unit 36.

Would be pretty cool to shoot a bear, but I need to learn up on skinning one.

Not sure though.
shaynew1
AG
You've come to the right place to get talked out of it

Not. Buy it.
AgEng06
AG
shaynew1 said:

You've come to the right place to get talked out of it

Not. Buy it.

stdeb11
AG
Best way to make sure you don't have any bear problems is to buy that tag

I bought a bear tag this archery season.Buddy had a bear at 30yds and talked to two other guys who each bumped into bears. Of course I couldn't have such luck
AgLA06
AG
Yep. We decided we didn't want to kill a bear so we didn't buy any tags. Literally had a bear walk through camp.
LEJ
When you're makin love to your wife on that bearskin rug, $280 will seem like a bargain
cupofjoe04
AG
Truth on this thread.

Buy the tag if you don't want to see one.
Don't buy it if you want one living in camp with you.

As for skinning- lots of videoes on YouTube. Straight forward, except for the paws. They can give you trouble. But prepare yourself- there comes a point when skinning a bear where you look down, and it looks like you have just skinned a human. It's very odd.
harge57
AG
LEJ said:

When you're makin love to your wife on that bearskin rug, $280 will seem like a bargain

Sold
BradMtn346
It is called bear insurance around here. Not a tag. You buy one to insure your hunt is bear free.
aggie0959
280$ for the tag then $1500-$2000 for the rug.
BullSprig07
AG
LEJ said:

I laughed way too hard at this
AgEng06
AG
Ok, here's my CO 2nd Rifle recap...

There were 5 of us with a total of 4 tags (1 mule deer, 2 elk, 1 bear). I had the muley tag and was the only one to tag out. In fact, I was the only one to get a legitimate shot at any animal. Since the hunt was largely unexciting, my recap will be short and sweet.

First, our camp for the week...

We spotted a handful of elk on Friday (the day before season opened) at ~1,000 yards away in a meadow. We tried to get on them opening morning/day, but were not able to relocate them. They were close to a small parcel of private land when we saw them, so it's possible they hung out there for the duration of our hunt.

On day 3, we jumped up two mule deer bucks from a small reservoir (a small forky and another forky with approx. 12" forks). I was unable to get a shot at them, even though they stopped and looked at us within 150 yards or so. It was mostly because they were obstructed by bushes and I wasn't comfortable with the way my rifle felt against my pack strap. About a half hour later, we walked right past another forky watching us at about 20 yards. I had time to stop, turn to my dad and buddy and point him out, and then watch him circle us and walk away down the trail we just came from. I'm not really sure why I didn't shoot him, but I just kind of stood there and watched him walk away. After he walked away, I spent the next few hours enduring ribbing from my dad and buddy over why I didn't shoot him and asking if I was "huntin' meat or horns", haha.

Later on day 3, we set up back at the small reservoir to hunt the evening. At some point in the past, someone was nice enough to craft a makeshift "stand" in a nearby tree, so that was my post for the evening.

During the few hours that I sat there, I made up my mind that I would shoot the next legal buck I had a chance at. There were a few reasons: 1) we had not seen much else to shoot and if I tagged out it would help our overall camp morale, 2) if I tagged my muley, we could focus more on getting my buddy an elk, which had so far given us the slip, and, most importantly, 3) my dad was there with me. He was on the trip with us last year when I killed my first bull, but he was elsewhere hunting with my brother. This time he was right beside me, and I didn't want to let the time pass without making a great memory with him. So.... there we sat waiting for any legal buck.

Around 4:45, a deer came over the dam of the reservoir to water. I immediately confirmed it was a buck and within about 5 seconds, he was on the ground. The 180gr 300WM did it's job and he dropped in his tracks. Unfortunately, I didn't account enough for the crosswind, so the bullet went right through both shoulders. I was kind of upset about that. I would have preferred a lung shot right behind the shoulders.

He ain't much, but he's a public land DIY mule deer...

We spent the next 3 days of the hunt trying to get in front of an elk, but came up empty handed. Reports from other hunters and stores in the nearest town seemed to echo our experiences. Everyone was seeing mule deer, but very few were able to put an elk down. Oh well, we'll try again next year.

Here are a few random landscape pics I took...

LEJ
stdeb11
AG
Congrats on the deer! Great to get one with your dad there.

Sounds like next year deer tags are the way to go
aggie0959
Think I need one of those exo orange lids
Ag210
AG
Finally getting around to our Colorado 2nd Season Deer recap.

This was the first trip out West for my self and my brother (BrazosBQ) so there was a pretty good learning curve but we did get a little experience last year at Lake Meredith.

Scouting Day - We arrived in our area early on Friday and began driving the units to get a lay of the land, first spot we checked we couldn't really scout because it was snowing to hard to glass, The weather was slightly better in our second spot and I got my first taste of semi-offroading in the snow, managed to make our way up the two track but get out and discover that one of the heater hoses on my truck has a quick disconnect fitting that is leaking, joy.... We press on and make the mile or so hike to a glassing spot and pick up a small forky buck on the way, We set up and find a couple bull elk bedded but no more deer. We hike back to the truck and decide to head to town to get some parts. We fight the quick disconnect fitting in the autozone parking lot for more than hour with no luck, We find a shop that will be open on Saturday morning and decide to get a hotel for the night, not exactly the start we had hoped for.

Day 1 - Opening morning we head to a trail head close to the mechanics shop in order to atleast get a hunt in on opening morning. We hike in, setup, and glass for about and hour with no luck. We run into several other hunters on the way out and run to get the truck fixed, One hour and $60 later we are back in business. We head to the spot we couldn't glass the day before and set up camp. Talk to the Game Warden who was a real cool dude and start our hike. The area seems like it is hammered hard by road hunters so we head for a spot away from the road along a private border. Glass all afternoon and evening and turn up 3 does on private but not much doing.

Day 2 - We wake up to an inch or two of snow, not sure I slept at all the night before due to the wind blowing all night, We glass for a while and turn up a big bear but with all of the traffic in the unit we decide to pack up and move. While we are packing up a dude begins moving a huge herd of sheep into our unit reinforcing our decision to move. At this point we are in a bit of a loss, all of the areas we had planned on getting to are suspect travel wise because of the amount of snow. We take a stab and drive to an area where we glass a couple of trailheads. We immediately see a group of hunters at one of the trail heads with two bucks, about 5 minutes later we spot two additional hunters up the mountain dragging down to more deer and the area immediately catches out interest. We glass a little longer and see more deer higher up the mountain and decide to hike a 5 mile loop through the area. We jump a moose cow/calf pair on the way up which was pretty cool. We find deer tracks everywhere, track two of the bucks to where they were shot and decide that we are coming back to this spot in the morning, We were concerned that the area might be shot out but with over 2' of snow at 10,000+ we hoped more deer would get pushed down, turned out to be a good call. We go get a good burger at a local diner and hotel camp for the night.

Day 3 - We wake up at 3:45 to make it to the trailhead by 5:00, hike in about 2.25 miles and get setup. About 45 minutes after shooting light we spot some does about 1000 yds up the mountain and sneak in to get a closer look. We intercept there path and get within about 100yds before we bump them off. We decide to follow the does and about 40 yds up the hill, out of nowhere, I spot two bucks to my left at about 80yds in the same meadow we are walking through, the insuing 45 seconds was a bit of a s**** show. Without a solid rest and in the wide a** open we scramble to drop packs load rifles, etc and I proceed to miss on the bigger buck, luckily by this time BrazosBQ is set up and drops the bigger of the two bucks, about 5 minutes later the smaller of the two bucks clears the aspens, presents a shot and I take it. The deer looks hit good but runs into the cover. We know the bigger of the two bucks is down so we move down the hill to check it out and we are completely dumbfounded, we had no expectation of getting a "good" deer, being our first trip, forky's where fair game, what are the odds of getting one with a drop.

I recover my deer and was surprised to find he is also much bigger than I thought as well.

We end up making two trips on the pack out but get off the mountain just before dark, do about 11 miles total on the day.

All in all a bit of a whirlwind of a trip. With family, work, etc can't quite make this a yearly deal but will definitely be coming back in a few years.

harge57
AG
Nice work!
mneisch
AG
Nice deer! Second season folks got it done.
stdeb11
AG
Congrats!
AgEng06
AG
Awesome. That's a helluva first muley for your bro!
BrazosBQ
AG
Thank ya sir! Was a heck of a trip.
LEJ
Great bucks and great story

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.