Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,596 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
AggieJames09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Awesome Bulls ! Congrats Guys
agenjake
Excellent. Great work, guys.
meggy09
AG
Little different question here, but what are you guys running for tires to get back to trail heads etc? I drive a LC100 and have some Tundra takeoffs on it now. Happy with the all season Michelin's and probably wouldn't worry about changing those for DD during winter (live in CO), but have the stock wheels that I can throw some tires on. Most my hunting this year will be late season, and I probably will go for a late cow almost every year, so I'm expecting snowy slushy mud. Should I get some AT or MT and sip them? Just go with true snow tires and carry chains? Just go with the Michelin's and carry chains?
LEJ

WTF? There's a lot going on in this one. Looks like ol Ben Knox is on the mountain.
cupofjoe04
AG
My honest opinion is get you some good AT's, and have a recovery plan in the trunk. We live in CO, and see quite a bit of snow and slush on our roads. Wife's minivan made it through this last HEAVY winter just fine with all season Michelin's.

I run Cooper ST Maxx's on my Jeep, and love them. Had the stock MT's before that. They were great in deep snow and mud, but HORRIBLE on anything slick. I would not go with MT's again- I think they will just get you slightly further down the trial before getting stuck in the same crap everyone else is. And they are down right dangerous on slick paved or icy conditions.

The AT's are a great happy medium- and I leave them on all year. Carry a winch (I don't have an electric, I carry a hand cranker), straps, a shovel & recovery boards/matts, and some kitty litter. I also have a pair of Amazon knock-off rubber "Truck Claws" that work really well on mud or snow (but not on ice). I have used them a dozen or so times bailing people out, and have only used the ramps once and winch twice. Just some real world utilization, shows you what I grab when all are at hand. I bail people out of the ditch around town and on trials on the regular all winter long.

Just my .02
cupofjoe04
AG
Good Bull!!!!
Awesome picture brother! Worthy of a magazine cover!

Congrats on your well earned reward!!!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Badass!
LEJ
Oh the reward is still on the mtn. Long story short, I tweaked my ankle getting him down from 12k to 10,700. Hiked out today with a little bit of gear but the ankle ain't up to hauling him out on foot. So... tomorrow I'm taking a horse solo 16 miles round trip to get deer and gear. There's a better than 50% chance I'm going to die.
LEJ
LEJ
Fire roasted heart.

So... damn... good
shaynew1
AG
Congrats man!

I can't think of many other things I'd rather kill me
cupofjoe04
AG
LEJ said:

Oh the reward is still on the mtn. Long story short, I tweaked my ankle getting him down from 12k to 10,700. Hiked out today with a little bit of gear but the ankle ain't up to hauling him out on foot. So... tomorrow I'm taking a horse solo 16 miles round trip to get deer and gear. There's a better than 50% chance I'm going to die.

Bummer, but it sounds like your making the right choice. If I wasn't in Dallas this weekend, man ide be there for you!
LEJ
Hauling Blue Duck up the mountain
agenjake
Great buck, man!
Texas 1836
AG
LEJ said:

WTF? There's a lot going on in this one. Looks like ol Ben Knox is on the mountain.
That's an amazing picture.
stdeb11
AG
Congrats gents! Y'all are killing it.

So far I've seen 3 bulls and a handful of cows. I passed on a perfect opportunity at a cow last night, but had two bulls in bow range this morning twice so happy with that call. This morning one time was a bad setup and the other was unexpected to actually find them again. Hopefully this evening or tomorrow morning.
Blue Duck
AG
After 2 days... 1 bear down in camp. It isn't mine but it's a good one. We should have had 2 but one got away before my buddy could get the crosshairs on him. Pictures to come in a week when we get back to civilization.
Alta
AG
This thread makes me want to get out there. I keep putting my elk hunting trip off because I have no elk hunting buddies. I'm going to do it next year even if I go by myself.
cupofjoe04
AG
Alta said:

This thread makes me want to get out there. I keep putting my elk hunting trip off because I have no elk hunting buddies. I'm going to do it next year even if I go by myself.

Shouldn't be too hard to find friends on here if you plan far enough out.

My advice is always to go whenever you can. You can't start the learning curve soon enough, it will just get harder and harder
stdeb11
AG
Welp, came back with only a grouse in the cooler. Overall, awesome hunt and ready to get back out in 2 weeks. Scouted this unit a couple weeks ago, but first time hunting it so the first few days were a learning curve. Sadly, none of us could close the deal on an elk but each of us came dang close. This morning my buddy and a 5x5 danced around at 20yds while I called but he couldn't ever get an opening...
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
You guys are killing me! 1st rifle can't come soon enough. Thanks for providing me with motivation to get some last-minute training in...
LEJ

I think ol Blue Duck hated me after our 14 hour day and 16 mile round trip together, including 2 hrs drive time, but damn I loved that horse power. You're my boy Blue!

On another note, I paid a pretty steep "Bear Tax" but got a duplicate tag from local GW after a meeting and explanation. One more nite in Pagosa and then on the road again in the AM. More pics and stories later. Head is at the taxi here in town.
Apache
AG
Lol I was in the same boat. Reading these threads for years & had friends back out of trips constantly.
I got pissed off & now in 24 days I leave to go chase elk with a muzzleloader. Going with a guide as a compromise with my wife who didn't want me to go alone. (Probably much better chance of success as well!!)

You ain't gettin' any younger, just do it!
shaynew1
AG
texags needs a :flex: emoji
Alta
AG
Not much to add but that is a badass picture!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
hope he replaced your mulie tag with a cow elk one. In my experience (n=1) buck mulie meat aint worth writing home about
cupofjoe04
AG
Ah, that makes a lot more sense now. I was confused about the taxi & tax last time we talked. My bad, so I didn't catch that.
Last year I helped a buddy cut up an elk. We found a creek, dug a hole and damed it up, wrapped quarters in trash bags, and weighted them down in the water. I always carry a few trash bags now, as some cheap insurance from heat and bears.

Glad the GW did right by you.
Blue Duck
AG
Another day... another bear down in camp. I got within 60 yards of a decent buck but he took the wrong trail and got in some thick stuff. Back at it tomorrow...
Log
AG
NRD09 said:

hope he replaced your mulie tag with a cow elk one. In my experience (n=1) buck mulie meat aint worth writing home about

False
Blue Duck
AG

I just heard an elk bugle and I'm not mad about it.
LEJ

1 more pic before I hit the road. This is Bo. He's the Camp Host at the horse camp right by the trailhead I use. I visit with him and his wife Olinda every chance I get when I'm there during season or preseason hike/scout trips. Super good folks.

I rode a bit as a kid but I can't remember the last time I sat a horse. I've never taken 1 into a mountain environment and I've certainly never attempted anything like I did on Saturday. Bo walked me through everything we could think of gear wise, including putting on, loading and cinching the panniers properly.

He's beaten cancer and is still fighting some related health problems but he said he'd come looking for me if I wasn't back by a time we figured.

Wouldn't even let me buy him lunch.
BurrOak
AG
Hell. Yes.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
hard to be mad about anything with a view like that!

LEJ sounds like an awesome experience all around. And great deer!
AgEng06
AG
Any of you guys interested in a pair of First Lite Grizzly Cold Weather Gloves? I have a pair I bought after last season that I have never worn outside of trying them on when they arrived. They were on clearance so I couldn't return them.

I'll sell them to a fellow OB'er for $80 shipped.

I can take actual pics tonight if anyone is interested but they are just like these below.

Fusion pattern, size Medium...

https://www.blackovis.com/first-lite-grizzly-cold-weather-gloves

AgLA06
AG
https://images.app.goo.gl/A21WS9kRxGkWwqHS9

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.