Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,580 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
stdeb11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got mine. Much smoother today. Guessing waaay les people try for the bear tags
shaynew1
AG
Young cupodjoe, shoot me an email when you have a few. I got a question for you.

Shaynew1@hotmail.com
cupofjoe04
AG
Email sent
shaynew1
AG
I have whittled all opening week work obligations down to one remaining wild card.
cupofjoe04
AG
CO REALLY seems to want more bears taken this year. I've gotten this email yesterday and today.

Also, look who was waiting for me when I got back in town! Ha ha ha
shaynew1
AG
All accounts seem to imply they need to kill some bears.

I'll be trying to do my part
shaynew1
AG
On the other thread RE James John, did you hunt the San Miguel/ San Francisco side?
cupofjoe04
AG
I hunted the northernmost section of the Crazy French. That ranch surrounds the northern point of the James John, and runs the compete length of the west side (ranch actually runs into NM), and most of the length of the east side. I hunted both sides, as well as the point that juts put towards Trinidad. All on private of course, my tag didn't allow me access to the John on top. But those elk were pouring on and off of that flat top. And I skirted almost every single mile of that fence line over the first few days just trying to find them. The actual James John looked really nice and huntable, with remote access. Where they John stops and the ranch starts is basically huge cliffs with small saddles. Good places to hunt, but hard as hell to get to.

I killed my elk in a drainage off the north east side of the John. Some thick old burned forest where the only thing regrowing was that red brush which was 10' tall and had 3" thorns from hell. Basically an area that no human had any business being in. It was a chore to get him packed out, to say the least.
arrow
AG
I just need to hunt in your neighborhood dang it!
lazuras_dc
AG
Ok I think I've broken down and decided to get a new pack. I have a hand me down I put 60 lbs in yesterday and it was creakin' and not the most comfortable.

I've been looking at Exo Mountain Pack k2 5500 but its hard to justify $650 for a pack. What do youguys think of a Kuiu system? Looks like you can do a Ultra 5500 with PRO harness and frame from like $430.

AgEng06
AG
I'm an Exo man, so I vote you go that route. It's worth the cost in my mind.

My buddy, AgEng08 on here, just got a Kuiu Icon pack, but hasn't taken it hunting yet to give good feedback. We'll be putting it to work in October.
aggie0959
I have the exo 3500 and love it. I now want the 4800. I am becoming a gear addict quickly
AgEng06
AG
Guess I should say I have the Exo K2 with a 2000 and 5500 bag. I really like the size of the new bag offerings, but probably won't upgrade unless I something happens to the bags I have. I have had zero issues so far.
cupofjoe04
AG
No comment on either of those. But I've put a lot of miles and A LOT of meat on my Alps OutdoorZ Commander X, and it is awesome. Highly recommend taking a look.

If you want a traditional frame, their Trophy X is good too. But I found the hybrid extreme frame of the Commander to be much more comfortable. The ability to leave the bag at camp and just take the meat hauler is a huge plus for the kind of hunting I do.
BullSprig07
AG
Splurged on the new EXO K3 4800 this year. So far on short prep hikes I love it. There are lots of used K2's hitting the market now that guys are getting their K3's in. You might check out this facebook group. Exo Mountain Gear And Mountain Hunting. They hold their value extremely well though so still not cheap even for a used pack.

Never used a Kuiu pack, though the guy I hunt with used one his first year in Colorado and switched to an EXO the next year and never looked back.
lazuras_dc
AG
This what I'm looking at Joey?

https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-OutdoorZ-Extreme-Commander-Pack/dp/B011YC293S/ref=sr_1_1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-ojFs42D5AIVEVYMCh1SlANVEAAYASAAEgIRPPD_BwE&hvadid=178108531139&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9028157&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=14332656294782895350&hvtargid=kwd-138330621843&hydadcr=9687_9896346&keywords=alps+outdoorz+commander+x&qid=1565811247&s=gateway&sr=8-1
arrow
AG
AgEng06 said:

Guess I should say I have the Exo K2 with a 2000 and 5500 bag. I really like the size of the new bag offerings, but probably won't upgrade unless I something happens to the bags I have. I have had zero issues so far.

X2

I hike with guys that own Kuiu and Stone Glacier. I never have pack envy. I do think for the price Kuiu is fine. That's what my brother is going to be using the year.
cupofjoe04
AG
lazuras_dc said:

This what I'm looking at Joey?

https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-OutdoorZ-Extreme-Commander-Pack/dp/B011YC293S/ref=sr_1_1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-ojFs42D5AIVEVYMCh1SlANVEAAYASAAEgIRPPD_BwE&hvadid=178108531139&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9028157&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=14332656294782895350&hvtargid=kwd-138330621843&hydadcr=9687_9896346&keywords=alps+outdoorz+commander+x&qid=1565811247&s=gateway&sr=8-1

That's the one. They have gone up since I bought, but still a little more affordable. I use the meat frame by itself more than I use the whole bag. But that pack has seen at least 4 multi-day trips every year for the last 4 season. Held up incredibly well. The frame has seen multiple elk and deer packed out each year.

Customer service is good too. I bought the frame years ago on another site with a coupon code. 2 season went by, and I finally had need for the bag. Got it, and the zipper wouldn't fit. Apparently they changed teeth count. Even though I bought neither piece from Alps direct- they sent me a new frame for free, and told me to keep the old one. So, I ha e 2 frames and a bag. I leave the spare frame in my Jeep, so when I can a buddy to help pack out, I have a frame for him.
stdeb11
AG
One more vote for Exo. I've got the 5500. No issues in the 3 years I've had it. Great pack. Use it for backpacking as well.
cupofjoe04
AG
Ok- so it's not technically relevant to 2019 or this thread, but I thought it was a LITTLE premature to start a 2020 Western thread...

But the 2020 Colorado season dates are out, the 5 season structure is posted. You can read all about it here
https://cpw.state.co.us/seasonstructure

2nd stays at 9 days- 3rd goes to 7 days. Might impact some of your plans
shaynew1
AG
Baby number two will be here in January so I'm reckoning that a couple weeks before I leave this year is a bad time to bring up dates for next year.

Funny unrelated note...all the hogs out here are basically cake broke and run to the truck.
stdeb11
AG
Scouting trip round 2 starts this evening. Got the truck packed and just waiting on 4 o'clock to run home and grab the pup and head out. Hopefully this plan will go smoother and we'll find some elk
cc_ag92
AG
You won't save a ton of money but check out the Mystery Ranch Metcalf. I won one these a couple of years ago and they are great packs. So far it has hauled two elk and a carries a 40 lb sand bag weekly.
harge57
AG
Lets start getting some animals on the board.

My nephew put this down on a NM youth tag this morning.

agenjake
Excellent! Nice cutters.
shaynew1
AG
Hot damn it has begun!
cupofjoe04
AG
Heck yeah! Congrats!!! Really nice cutters on that buck
AgEng06
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Nice buck! What'd he shoot it with, a chainsaw!?

I screwed around and apparently missed out on getting a bear tag. Oh well i have some work to do before the legs are ready to carry an elk, let alone an elk and a bear
BrazosBQ
arrow
LEJ
You gonna ruin the boy.
cc_ag92
AG
Congrats!

Way to start off the season.
AgEng06
AG
Alright guys, which of you "regulars" are getting out to hunt first? Who's hitting CO archery?

I know it's not me, as we aren't going until CO 2nd rifle.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Won't be out in the field until 9/18. So pumped!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.