Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,548 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
AggieMPH2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Drew Montana as well combo hunt in the Kootenai
shaynew1
AG
ttt!

Working on some arrers trying to find a most best vane configuration. They all steer broadheads fairly well...just trying to see what groups better at distance.

60 yd group w no winner.

Going to roll back to 90 when the wind lies down.
mneisch
AG
Starting the gear acquisition phase now, so far I have picked up:
2 man backpack tent
insulated sleeping pad
frame pack
spotting scope
10x binos
tripod

Still to get:
sleeping bag or top quilt (eyeing a down quilt from Hammock Gear)
shaynew1
AG
I like the quilt in theory but I froze in one two seasons ago. If I ever try another one I'll definitely have a top shelf rate pad underneath it.
mneisch
AG
What were you using and what was the temperature?

I bought the Klymit Insulated Static V Lite, with an R value of 4.4. I figure that ought to be warm enough from below during second rifle season. Then eyeing either a 10 or 20 degree quilt.
shaynew1
AG
Max hunter with the early lead from 90!

Gonna screw some broadheads on tmw afternoon and see what they look like.
shaynew1
AG
mneisch said:

What were you using and what was the temperature?

I bought the Klymit Insulated Static V Lite, with an R value of 4.4. I figure that ought to be warm enough from below during second rifle season. Then eyeing either a 10 or 20 degree quilt.
Early archery, low 30s at night (I think, might have been lower), 20 degree EE quilt, but w a pad rated 2.4. It was August so I thought that'd be serviceable.

I just got cold and stayed cold that whole trip. I wore every stitch of clothing I brought the entire time we were up there.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
90 yards? Sure thing, mfbarnes

Serious note, what sight are you using? I need to upgrade and plan to shoot out to 60-70 and practice at 80-100 (if possible). My current sight is maxed at 60 yards on my bow, plus the pins are .125" ... need to go smaller diameter.
shaynew1
AG
Right now I've got a 5 pin Tommy hog. I fixed pins for 20-60, and the bottom pin for anything further w the slider.

I've also used a mbg ascent w the same setup. I like both of them for different reasons but I don't think anyone could go wrong w either.
mneisch
AG
Sounds like the pad was likely most of the issue. I've heard great things about the EE quilts. I'm still on the fence on quilt vs a bag. I like the idea of the greater flexibility, and smaller size and weight. Having never used one though I have my concerns and don't really want to figure it out during a week long backcountry hunt.
shaynew1
AG
mneisch said:

Sounds like the pad was likely most of the issue. I've heard great things about the EE quilts. I'm still on the fence on quilt vs a bag. I like the idea of the greater flexibility, and smaller size and weight. Having never used one though I have my concerns and don't really want to figure it out during a week long backcountry hunt.
Ya the pad was for sure the issue, and its anecdotal and probably not a good baseline.

but in my mind...i blamed the quilt. so there.
agenjake
This is the in-between year since I am aiming for a bigger combo hunt in 2020, but I put in for antelope doe/fawn in SE Wyoming. Hoping to turn a Thanksgiving family visit into a meat hunt.
harge57
AG
My brother drew an idaho moose tag. Fall is getting busy.

Montana archery elk, NM 3rd season mule deer, Idaho moose, and might try and tag along for my nephews NM pronghorn.
cupofjoe04
AG
Results came out while I was overseas, and I forgot to check until I just got an email from Colorado's DNR with the sheep hunting clinic materials.

So that means I drew my #1 desired tag this year!!!

Checked my account and confirmed that I finally hit on a Rocky Mountain Sheep Ewe tag! While certainly not as coveted as the ram tags (which have an almost multi-decade wait to begin having a chance for a once in a lifetime tag), this is still an awesome tag to draw.

I had SO much fun guiding a buddy to an ewe a few years ago, I am excited to finally go on my own. Will be a an absolute butt kicker of a hunt where I'm planning on going, about as remote as you can possibly get in the San Juans. I'm gonna need to double my planned fitness program to prep for this...

If it proves itself along the way, I'm thinking I'll take my new 6.5 CM up there instead of the old trusty .300 WinMag.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Somewhat draw related... I am going on a speed-goat Hunt next year in CO! Going with an outfitter so we shall see how it goes.

I did get my notification of points for Utah earlier this week or late last.
cupofjoe04
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Somewhat draw related... I am going on a speed-goat Hunt next year in CO! Going with an outfitter so we shall see how it goes.

I did get my notification of points for Utah earlier this week or late last.

Congrats! You will have a great time I'm sure
lazuras_dc
AG
Awesome !
What are dates for that season?
Do units correspond like normal Co units? If so, what GMU?
cupofjoe04
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Awesome !
What are dates for that season?
Do units correspond like normal Co units? If so, what GMU?

Thanks. Ewe season (mine) is Sept 14-Oct 6. Rams get a full month, Sept 3-Oct 6. I'll be in S16 - there were only 4 ewe tags slotted for that unit, so I feel fortunate.

The sheep and goat units are not the same as the GMU's. S16 is the closest to my house so I can do plenty of scouting (and conditioning) this summer. It's a LONG freaking hike, and there were between 30-60 trees per mile down last summer on the trial I want to use. BUT, this year they made and exception and are allowing chainsaws on the wilderness trails ONLY tree clearing. Should make a huge diff in opening a lot of forest up that has become unreachable. I'm sure I'll be out with an outfitter I know that uses that tail helping him clear.
mneisch
AG
Some good deals on backpack meals at Sierra today. Use coupon code FREESHIP for no minimum free shipping. I have read lots of good things about the Peak Refuel meals, so I picked up 6 of them at $7 each for my mule deer hunt.

https://www.sierra.com/camp-food~d~10100/
lazuras_dc
AG
Speaking of food: anyone tried these self contained heating pouches? Wonder if its much heavier? May eliminate need for bringing a stove on some shorter trips? https://www.amazon.com/OMEALS-Self-Heating-Portable-Meals-6-Pack/dp/B07GWZLCG7
DG96
AG
Heavier for the amount of food. Not much food really.
mneisch
AG
DG96 said:

Heavier for the amount of food. Not much food really.

Yep, I see the same issue. 8 ounces of carry weight for only 220 calories. You can easily get 3x the calories in a lighter weight package. For a shorter trip I'd probably just use meal replacement bars if you really wanted to avoid a stove.
stdeb11
AG
No stove = no coffee... Which would be the real deal breaker for me. Nice afternoon cat nap on a log and a cup of coffee before the evening hunt is one of my favorite things
FrontPorchAg
Skunked on Elk again in Nevada this year. I did draw a muley tag for Jarbidge, NV. It's a really cool remote area of the state along the Idaho border.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
mneisch
AG
Should hear Colorado results this week.

Are non-resident big game tags still a combo tag for fishing? They have been in the past. I'm heading up there in late June and hoping if I am successful in my mule deer draw that I'll be covered for fishing.
AgEng06
AG
Nothing is showing up yet on my CO account, but my CC was hit with a charge today...

Edit: Upon further investigation, it looks like it was the charge for my moose PP. I was charged $9 initially for the PP app, and now another $100 for the point. Does that sound right?
mneisch
AG
Yes. Various websites are saying moose draw today, elk and/or deer tomorrow, then bear and antelope.
AgEng06
AG
Anyone seeing anything about CO deer yet? I see on Rokslide that residents are having their cards hit, but I don't think any non-res cards have been hit yet...
cupofjoe04
AG
Deer & Elk have not hit mine yet (Resident). Account still says "Entered"
cupofjoe04
AG
My CO Pronghorn point just showed up in my account this morning.
Looks like another day or two wait to see if I got a Muzzleloader deer tag again.
Maybe Deer/Elk tomorrow?
AgEng06
AG
Yeah, I think it may be later today or tomorrow for deer/elk, based on what I'm reading elsewhere. Lots of people are seeing pronghorn info show up, rather than deer.
lazuras_dc
AG
I've been checking my credit card account for two days waiting to see if I get a hit... hopefully soon!

ps. staff must be getting liberal w/ the ads here. anyone else seeing this?

AgEng06
AG
I don't see any ads on TA, but I'm not sure if that's because I use AdBlock or because I have a subscription.

And aren't the ads largely based on your Google search history?
cupofjoe04
AG
lazuras_dc said:

ps. staff must be getting liberal w/ the ads here. anyone else seeing this?

I have been as well, and it's getting annoying. The last 3-4 days its in the rotation. I have clicked on the X to close the add and asked Google not to show it any more, which it says it won't- but that apparently doesn't do jack. I would love it if this add would disappear.

I've got stars and still see adds, so it must be your blocker. I've heard ads are based on search history... but I don't think that's always the case. I can definitely tell you this computer has not been used to search or buy women's undergarments, or anything related to that (degenerate or otherwise).
agingcowboy
AG
There used to be a "back door" method to check your draw results in CO before they were posted. Did they fix that? I can't seem to figure it out this year...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.