Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,542 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
shaynew1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Since I'm on down time I did successfully fling some 6.5 lead in preparation for a two day antelope hunt.
harge57
AG
I'm not worried about mechanicals not deploying. I'm mostly worried about that one blade of grass or leaf that's going to deploy it early and mess up the flight.

The elk i shot in Montana last year was at 52 yards and I couldn't see his legs as he was just on the other side of a crest/ridge. Even short grass 5 yards in front of him would have had me worried with mechanicals.
cupofjoe04
AG
harge57 said:

I'm not worried about mechanicals not deploying. I'm mostly worried about that one blade of grass or leaf that's going to deploy it early and mess up the flight.

The elk i shot in Montana last year was at 52 yards and I couldn't see his legs as he was just on the other side of a crest/ridge. Even short grass 5 yards in front of him would have had me worried with mechanicals.

I used to have the same fear, but I honestly think it takes quite a bit more force to open a mech than that. I remember when the "shoot through mesh" came out on ground blinds, I was firmly in the camp of NEVER will I shoot a bow through it. (I still never have, tbh).

But I remember researching and finding lots of peoeple testing and surprised by the results. Consider the following site, where they did some pretty thorough testing- and found that none of the mechanicals deployed prematurely though the mesh.
https://www.bowhuntingmag.com/editorial/shoot-ground-blind-mesh/309633

So, it's hard to imagine leaves or grass opening the broad head. A stick, different story. But that will deflect any projectile, even a bullet (to a point).
LEJ
I'll just say that I'm firmly in the fixed blade camp and think everyone should be for use on elk.

But forget all that... I'm headed to the mountains in a couple days. Trail report directly from the trail crew leader in Pagosa is "trail is clear up to the divide and stream crossings are manageable".

He also told me that there was actually way less deadfall this year than in years past. The theory is that the 10+ feet of snow actually helped hold trees up through the winter that would have fallen otherwise. Mountain got its own ways.

I'm taking my 16 yo niece with me on her first multi day backpack trip. She's either gonna love me or hate me after all is said and done. I'm not sure how this is gonna go, but looking forward to it.
cupofjoe04
AG
This is true for many of the main trails. Crews and individuals are working hard this year. I've been out several days this month hacking and sawing away. Problem is, many haven't made it up to the remote secondary and tertiary trails- and those high ones are where I'm seeing the most dead fall and slides.

I was up a lesser traveled trail this week (just west of where you like to go) - after the first 2 miles of relative ease, it was 5 miles with anywhere between 50-100 trees/mile down. I then turned to go up another canyon- and avalanche debris had the whole trail blocked just 400 yards in. It was 8-10' deep of debris, with snow still under it. That whole canyon (and all the HUGE mule deer in it) are completely cut off all the way up to the divide. I tried for an hour to get around it on foot, and couldn't do it. I couldn't make it to treeline. It would take a crew several days to punch though just that one slide. I know there are monsters back in there, but I ain't signing up to cut that path...

I also did Pagosa Peak this week, and it was pretty choked at points. Easily 100 trees in the first mile. Thankfully after that it is all above tree line. There was a much smaller avalanche that covered that trail, but it was much more typical, just a dozen or two smaller trees scattered over a shorter section. I moved about 10 off trail, and that's all I could manage.

Many of the more remote places still have closer 50 trees/mile in certain places, with smaller slides to bushwhack through/around. More are being cleared every day. On foot, most things are passable. Horses are still having to pick their spots. But the trials that have a horse camp at the trailhead are mostly cleared all the way up. All that to say- people may be a little more compacted this year.
LEJ
Nuts! I've heard that some of the high country lakes are still frozen and unfishable. Don't have a definitive report on the one I'm headed to but keeping my fingers crossed.
LEJ
I spoke to a guy named Boone with the forest service last year and he told me about PATC. Think he said his wife is very involved. I had intended to try to get up there this year to try to help in whatever way they needed but just couldn't get it to work. He told me straight up that vols are more needed than $.
cupofjoe04
AG
LEJ said:

I spoke to a guy named Boone with the forest service last year and he told me about PATC. Think he said his wife is very involved. I had intended to try to get up there this year to try to help in whatever way they needed but just couldn't get it to work. He told me straight up that vols are more needed than $.

That is absolutely true. Especially with all the beetle kill pine (and the subsequent mismanagement of said pine) in certain areas; people to run crosscut saws are at an absolute premium.

Maybe next year we should get a group together from the OB and join a crew for a couple days- would be a great way to get some training in the mountains! Ha ha

The last remnants of snow and ice are melting off this week. I wouldn't imagine much of it hangs on past July, but I could be wrong. We've been having highs in the low 80's this week in town, with lots of heavy afternoon storms (more than our typical showers). Creeks have come down and cleared, but are still flowing pretty good. Fishing the edges and slack seems to be best.
LEJ
I'm in.

Did they end up taking chainsaws into the Wilderness around there, per the variance this season?
stdeb11
AG
I'm headed up to scout a new unit tomorrow for the weekend now that snow should be melted and I've got time. Should be a butt kicking backpacking trip but hopefully get some good info vs just research the past few months. A bit nervous being up near treeline with some storms in the forecast, but see how it goes. It'll be fun.
LEJ
Oh trust me, I've been watching the weather. Had 57 on my truck early the other morning and I'm ready for 30s. Looks like it's gonna clear up right about the time we hit the TH.

A buddy of mine said he nearly grabbed a jacket. He's my next Backcountry victim but I don't think he'll like the violent and unpredictably predictable high country weather
cupofjoe04
AG
LEJ said:

I'm in.

Did they end up taking chainsaws into the Wilderness around there, per the variance this season?

Sadly, no. They passed the variance, but then conservation groups sued the Forest Service over it in May. In early July, they rescinded the decision. The Forest Service claimed that because of snowfall, crews weren't able to get on trails to clear them (which was true), thus the reversal of the decision. Conservation Groups were claiming a victory, citing pressure from the law suit.

I think the truth is in the middle. Crews weren't able to get on trials early enough this year to see the full benefit of a summer clearing with chain saws. If you are going to fight the battle legally (which the Forest Service will clearly have to), might as well wait until you can maximize the benefit. I think the rescinded the order so that a judge didn't rule on it, and jeopardize future efforts.
LEJ
Whatever you do, don't get cocky and go all "Lt. Dan" when it gets woolly. I did that once. Once.
cupofjoe04
AG
LEJ said:

Whatever you do, don't get cocky and go all "Lt. Dan" when it gets woolly. I did that once. Once.

#Truth

These storms have been pretty comparatively heavy, but like most mountain storms they just move in short waves. Be smart, bring good rain gear (and an emergency tarp shelter if you are out and about), and hunker down when you need to.
stdeb11
AG
Hahaha. At least I'm shorter than the buddy that's tagging along.... And be a good test of the new pyramid tent setup
LEJ
FWIW, I'm actually glad to hear they didn't. I never thought I'd say that and I understand that going powerless is a burden, but that's the way I feel about it. I'm willing to put some skin in the game to keep it the way it is... just gotta find the ability.
cupofjoe04
AG
LEJ said:

FWIW, I'm actually glad to hear they didn't. I never thought I'd say that and I understand that going powerless is a burden, but that's the way I feel about it. I'm willing to put some skin in the game to keep it the way it is... just gotta find the ability.
I hear ya. I could honestly go either way on the issue, don't feel terribly strongly one way or the other. Both sides have really great points. Ultimately, I was in favor of the temporary provision for saws (restricted to only moving dead fall that is actually on a trail). The only reason I felt that way was that you see the dead-standing and deadfall increasing, and the help pulling saws decreasing. More trails get lost every year.

But, losing trails is certainly not hurting the critters... it's likely helping them if anything. So, I'm all for letting the wild stay wild as well.
LEJ
I don't know if Colorado BHA has gotten involved on this issue at all but one of my long term goals is to engage them on this to try to mobilize more volunteers, myself included.
stdeb11
AG
To my knowledge they haven't. I'm pretty good friends with some of those guys that are in the Denver area and can bring it up. Or maybe I'll try to help do something about it next year as I should do more of that stuff.

And I do see both sides of it, but like the idea of just human power....But I also need to get out and pull some saws.
cupofjoe04
AG
What a great idea getting BHA involved! I've never worked with them, but hear excellent things.
cupofjoe04
AG
Just talked to a buddy who was flying over the divide from Pagosa. He said many of the highest lakes do still look frozen. Lower ones are thawed or thawing.

Here are a few pics of the avalanche & mudslide debris I encountered. This is not a main trail, but gives you an idea of what can be around the corner when you get a couple hours back in. Hopefully you don't see anything like this at all.

*there is still several feet of snow under those trees.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
pictures like that get me excited! Means there won't be horse packers up that valley! (but really it means there won't be horse packers up that valley until a week before rifle season, when the wranglers get out there and open the trails up)
cupofjoe04
AG
NRD09 said:

(but really it means there won't be horse packers up that valley until a week before rifle season, when the wranglers get out there and open the trails up)

Bingo. Except the outfitter's (the good ones anyways) have been cutting for a few weeks now, and lamenting they weren't able to get up earlier.

I know the outfitter that hunts deer and some elk back in that valley- so it will get sawn eventually. I'm dreading seeing his name on caller ID...
LEJ
You gotta have the iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, of the Tiiiiiiiiigah!
stdeb11
AG
With moving into the new house a week and a half ago all my gear is a wreck. Think I managed to get everything jammed into the pack. Weighed in at 31lbs without water. I'll take it

Hit the road at 0530...
shaynew1
AG
New string an shooting bullet holes. Strings claim to have little to no break in. But we will see.
shaynew1
AG
close but not the same. lots of work to do
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Just replaced my string, sight and quiver. Was really tempted to pick up a new bow but maintained willpower!

Sight is on at 20. The new sights are very easy to setup. Off to 30-40-50-60!
cupofjoe04
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Just replaced my string, sight and quiver. Was really tempted to pick up a new bow but maintained willpower!

Sight is on at 20. The new sights are very easy to setup. Off to 30-40-50-60!

What kind of sight are you running now
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Spot Hogg Hunter 5 Pin with .019 pins. I like it but I think I am going to change the sight ring (not sure that is the proper term) to the bigger one (comes with 3 and I am using smallest). It's a little too small for the peep sight right now.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I will add that my tendinitis in my elbow has been flaring up since I have been shooting again. This thing has been really helping, in case anyone has tennis/golfers elbow:
TheraBand FlexBar, Tennis Elbow... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KGOMBC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
shaynew1
AG
I probably need one of those things.

I'm constantly stretching and lactose balling all the muscles from wrist to wrist
stdeb11
AG
Well, I wish I had nicer things to say about my scouting trip but it was pretty much a disaster. Guess it was good learning. Was quite a bit further than I had mapped out, much rougher country, and severe lack of water where I thought it would be. Got rained and hailed on for a good while, got cliffed out, ran out of water, and ran out of time/energy. Just overall got my butt kicked right outta there before getting to where I wanted to be... Mountains got it's own ways.

Anyways, here's the highlight of the trip. Gus didn't seem to care that it was a disaster, just that it was hot and steep jumping over deadfall at times.

shaynew1
AG
Well even if it was a butt whoopin some of us still might be jealous

At least you didn't get back there in season w a weeks worth of gear to find no water
stdeb11
AG
That was my thought. I now know what I'd do to get back in there. If I decided to go again. Not sure I'm man enough to haul one outta there and I worry about being locked in to that specific spot. Sucks going back to the drawing board but always fun checking out new places.

Now to get my bow sight back together. Realized the dove tail holding the sight housing got cracked, probably in the move. Hopefully MBG sells just that piece.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.