Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,560 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No love from the Gila Elk for me this year... but I WILL be chasing monster pronghorns in Oct
shaynew1
AG
Ppl dog NM lottery but I love it.

Happy to see some guys here draw.
Log
AG
If you've never hunted 45 before, let me know, and I can give you some tips. This will be my 5th or 6th trip. Killed one, missed two, and had a MZ misfire on me.
Texmid
AG
I was successful in the NM draw. Hunting up near Chama Dec 7-11.
aggie_2010
AG
I love it, and feel like it's the most fair, least complicated system. Best of all, there's no point creep that automatically prohibits you from hunting an area, unless you live to be 100 years old.
PFG
AG
Agree with all the above. Love the NM draw set up. Beats the heck out of points and point creep and playing that game.
shaynew1
AG
we are able to play the points game simultaneously in other states though, which makes both more tolerable.
arrow
AG
Congrats that those who drew!
arrow
AG
shaynew1 said:

we are able to play the points game simultaneously in other states though, which makes both more tolerable.
Agree. It's good to have options. It can be frustrating when sorting through the mess, but I'm okay with every state being different.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Headed to NM as well.
lazuras_dc
AG
Is it June yet?
shaynew1
AG
i forgot about registering for the san antonio total archery challenge and now they only got friday an sundee spots.
AgEng06
AG
Dammit. And I forgot to remind you to remind me about it.
shaynew1
AG
i can probably snake out on a friday if anyone else can
Shes2fat4me
AG
Drew NM unit 36 muzzle elk first week of October, first time to ever try on elk in any unit any weapon. No luck on mule deer this year. Never been to that unit so if anyone has any experience there would appreciate any info.
cupofjoe04
AG
Shes2fat4me said:

Drew NM unit 36 muzzle elk first week of October, first time to ever try on elk in any unit any weapon. No luck on mule deer this year. Never been to that unit so if anyone has any experience there would appreciate any info.

Congrats! You doing a guide or DYI public lands? There are some great bulls in 36
Shes2fat4me
AG
DYI public land hunt, but with two days guided out of the five. Don't really care to have a guide but I opted to draw through the outfitter pool so I have to have two days guided by law. Guide will actually stay at our camp and we feed him, part of the tip I guess. Will not mind another man to pack out though. Heard there were good bull numbers and decent bulls.
cupofjoe04
AG
You won't regret the guide at all in a brand new territory. Will give you a decided leg up on locating them. Congrats!
Ag97
AG
Finally drew out again after 3 unsuccessful years. Will be hunting Muley's in unit 16 in the Gila come November.
cupofjoe04
AG
Ag97 said:

Finally drew out again after 3 unsuccessful years. Will be hunting Muley's in unit 16 in the Gila come November.

Ohhhh... that's gonna be GOOD!
FincAggie06
AG
Drew the same. Group draw (3 of us) on 3rd choice Unit 16 in November for Muley's any weapon. Not expecting the best hunt but will be cool to be in a premier elk unit. Missed on Elk.

FincAggie06
AG
Texmid said:

I was part of a Elk hunt (no tag personally but had two tags in camp) in 51A last year in the Carson. Can give you some insight if that is where and what you drew.
Dynamite08
AG
Drew Unit 34 archery second week of September. Never hunted this unit before (always done 13/17) but super pumped about it. Hearing they've gotten a ton of rain (most they've seen in years). Anybody have any good recommendations for outfitters? Would like someone who specializes in that area.
PFG
AG
So who's hunted Gila in 15?

I'm headed there to help a buddy who drew a muzz tag in Nov.

Rut long over. I'm guessing bulls will be in their sanctuaries.

Anyone done a late season 15 hunt? Or any 15 hunt that would be up for talking shop?
shaynew1
AG
Dynamite08 said:

Drew Unit 34 archery second week of September. Never hunted this unit before (always done 13/17) but super pumped about it. Hearing they've gotten a ton of rain (most they've seen in years). Anybody have any good recommendations for outfitters? Would like someone who specializes in that area.

Email me shaynew1@ hotmail.com I'll put you in touch w some guys I've hunted with that live in cloudcroft.
Texmid
AG
FincAggie06 said:

Texmid said:

I was part of a Elk hunt (no tag personally but had two tags in camp) in 51A last year in the Carson. Can give you some insight if that is where and what you drew.
We are in Unit 51, muzzleloader, either sex. There were three of us on the application. We (my cousin and a family friend) have been hunting units 51 and 52 for about 25 years. There was an 8-year stretch during the late 90's and early 2000's where we drew out every year (we always put in for either sex hunts back then).

My grandfather used to live in Albuquerque and he started hunting up there in the late 60's. He started taking us up to Hopewell Lake fishing in the 70's. I shot my very first elk with the same rifle he shot his first elk with. What made it even better is that he was standing right beside me when I pulled the trigger. I don't know who was happier, him or me. He has since passed away but I still use that .270 to hunt. Of course this year I will be buying a muzzleloader for our hunt.
Ag97
AG
Dont overlook 16 for some big bucks. I've seen some monsters pulled out of there in the last 40 years. We've always seen lots of elk but the deer population has seemingly rebounded back to pretty good numbers over the last few years. My parents and some other family drew out last year and saw more deer than they ever have.

Its rough country but if you get off the beaten path, there are trophy quality animals there.

LEJ
DER-2-305

shaynew1
cupofjoe04
AG
LiveOak said:

So who's hunted Gila in 15?

I'm headed there to help a buddy who drew a muzz tag in Nov.

Rut long over. I'm guessing bulls will be in their sanctuaries.

Anyone done a late season 15 hunt? Or any 15 hunt that would be up for talking shop?

I have hunted early muzzleloader in 17 before, and spent some time in 16E. But I'm not sure if it's similar to 15, I think it is, continuation of same mountains.

Not sure if you are looking for specifics, but ide be happy to share what we learned and it may help generally. I have no specifics for 15 to offer
harge57
AG
Nephew drew a youth deer tag in 21 and youth pronghorn tag in 38.

If anyone has any experience they could share all is welcome.
cupofjoe04
AG
harge57 said:

Nephew drew a youth deer tag in 21 and youth pronghorn tag in 38.

If anyone has any experience they could share all is welcome.

Congrats! I hunted speed goats in 38 last year. Private land, though, so I can't help you with access. But the ranch we hunted bordered national forest just outside of Corona. PM me is I can be of help.
arrow
AG
Montana - Big Game Combo
It feels great to draw a tag(s)! Even if it's an easy draw.
harge57
AG
Officially headed back to MT on the general elk as well. Hopefully will get on to one of the several other bulls we were in last year.

shaynew1
AG
Grats guys. I hope to make time for Montana one year soon

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.