Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,587 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
LEJ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm wore out as a 9 year old Hereford bull running with 50 wild eyed, coffin headed, flop eared Brazos River Bottom cows... but I'm satisfied.
shaynew1
AG
Murdering some carbs and beer then headed back up?
LEJ
Back in 2 weeks. I think I'm gonna fatten up a bit. Temps are dropping and I lost about 8 lbs last week.
shaynew1
AG
Dang I'm jealous.

Trying to figure out how to broach the subject of a return trip to the second trimester boss lady.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
shaynew1 said:

Dang I'm jealous.

Trying to figure out how to broach the subject of a return trip to the second trimester boss lady.
Please let us know where to send flowers for your funeral
shaynew1
AG
In lieu of flowers please book yourself a hunting trip
Alta
AG
I just had this conversation with my wife for next year. I'm fat and would like not to be fat so told her that I really needed a carrot in my life to get me back to my fighting weight (and not marathons like I used in the past because that really isn't much of a carrot). She seemed to bite and agreed that maybe a elk hunt would be a good motivating factor for me to get back into shape and then if I did it annually a good reason to not fall out of shape.
CTGilley
AG
It worked for me. I dropped about 40 lbs before last year's hunt and about 25 this year. ~28-18%bf
cc_ag92
AG
Alta said:

I just had this conversation with my wife for next year. I'm fat and would like not to be fat so told her that I really needed a carrot in my life to get me back to my fighting weight (and not marathons like I used in the past because that really isn't much of a carrot). She seemed to bite and agreed that maybe a elk hunt would be a good motivating factor for me to get back into shape and then if I did it annually a good reason to not fall out of shape.
That is great thinking!! I started with that thought 4 years ago. Now I do a boot camp style workout 5 days a week. Then on my off day I swim, and hike around with a pack on. I have also drastically changed my diet, you can not eat like crap and continue to do the hard work it takes to hunt in the mountains. I have lost 45 pounds and now I am starting to get lean. I still have some fluff to get rid of. As far as hunting goes I have shot 2 mule deer and 2 elk all on public land and all solo. The fun part is I have managed to get all the meat out by myself. This year I am headed to CO 1st rifle, I am going with two hunters that have never been so it should be a lot of fun!

Good Luck, but be fore warned once you start you will be sorry you haven't been doing this earlier. But it's never to late to start.
shaynew1
AG
I tell everyone that's considering it they need to go. No ones getting any younger.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
that sounds like too much exercising!

I am on the opposite end of the spectrum this year, life's been crazy, I hit the stair machine and weights for the first time Monday and I am hurting now, haven't even run since like March. Main focus is to fix muscle imbalances caused by my knee and back issues so I can stay injury free. I do have a lighter rifle this year so that should help!
lazuras_dc
AG
NRD09 said:

that sounds like too much exercising!

I am on the opposite end of the spectrum this year, life's been crazy, I hit the stair machine and weights for the first time Monday and I am hurting now, haven't even run since like March. Main focus is to fix muscle imbalances caused by my knee and back issues so I can stay injury free. I do have a lighter rifle this year so that should help!

Hey you sound like me with the muscle imbalances!

I've been doing some light exercising, like playing tennis, 10minutes on the stairclimber here and there... but starting to ramp it up this week. Did some "hills" w/ my pack on and even started hot yoga this week. 4 more weeks !
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
fixing the imbalances is key. I work out like a girl...machines and reps. 3 sets of 10 but I work each leg/muscle independently and use the same weight on both sides. It usually takes about a month to get everything back even after a hiatus like I've been on.
Apache
AG
I started "elk training" in July. Down almost 20 pounds.
Been climbing stairs 3x per week.
In July I did 75 flights and I was nearly dead. Now I'm ripping out 150 floors in 35-40 minutes. Elk will die!!
agenjake
Way to, Apache. Jump on it.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Kill elk, not your legs!
shaynew1
AG
If you drink enough coffee and eat enough snickers you can skip some leg workouts
Apache
AG
I WILL RUN HARD AND FAST AND THROUGH ELK I WILL SHOOT MANY HOLES.
shaynew1
AG
I definitely abused the sugar on my trip. Been a long week coming down off it.
cupofjoe04
AG
shaynew1 said:

If you drink enough coffee and eat enough snickers you can skip some leg workouts

This needs to be on a t-shirt
Blue Duck
AG

Time is running out on my chances to fill a tag but this is as good of place as any to watch a sunset.
AW 1880
AG
I tagged along on an elk hunt south of Aspen last week. I bought a bow about two years ago but I've only pulled it out of the case a half dozen times. I'm definitely not ready to draw back on an elk yet. I may not have hunted but definitely learned a lot in case I ever get in enough practice with the bow. Here are some pictures from the trip.

cupofjoe04
AG
Beautiful pics, and good on you for getting the experience!

Did anyone punch a tag? Did you get to hear some screaming bulls?
cupofjoe04
AG
I always tell people the #1 animal/fish attractant is a a good attitude. Looks like you have positivity and perspective in spades! Well done amigo. You will reap a rich harvest from this
cupofjoe04
AG
Ut oh... I got back from my training hike tonight, and found a message that my friend (and his 2 horses) that were going to come with me on the sheep hunt are likely backing out on me. 3 days before I plan to pack in...

That would mean a drastic change in plans. I was planning on packing in and setting up camp about 12 miles in, which would just leave a short but brutal ascent up the ridge each morning, and then find some sheep in the expansive bowl. My foot isn't healed enough to get my camp in and a sheep out 12 miles + however many miles away I shoot the dang thing.

No horses also means no mule deer hunting- that tag is black powder and I'm certainly not able to haul 2 heavy rifles up, nor am I risking hunting sheep with a muzzleloader.

Sigh...
AW 1880
AG
No tags punched but got to see elk and hear plenty of bugling. I%92ve heard guys talk about the wind being tough but it was ridiculous. One minute the wind is perfect and everything is set up. The next minute, the wind is swirling and you%92re busted.
shaynew1
AG
That is a huge bummer.

If you hire me for a month so I can tell my wife I'm working I'll come be your Sherpa. I even have a mountain horse.
Maverick06
AG
Rent some horses. I wouldn't let the tags go to waste.
stdeb11
AG
Ah bummer man. That really stinks...if I had a punched tag I'd be there. Wonder if llamas or something are still available to rent
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
you can do it. trim your gear list, go ultralight, make sure you have a way to communicate with civilization
The internets say a big ewe is 200lbs on the hoof. That leaves you with 66lbs of boned-out meat plus 10lbs or so for the head? I imagine the amount of meat you actually pack out ends up being quite a bit less. Were you planning on taking the cape? Anyway, if you get one, spend the rest of the day dressing and bagging and getting it back to camp, get a good night of sleep, pack up camp and hide everything under a pile of rocks (rifle included), gps it and walk down with nothing but your sheep, trekking poles, and some water (exaggerating a bit but basically). Next day or weekend, or whenever you feel up to it or can get someone to go with you, hike back up, spend the night and carry camp back down the next morning. You can even take your rifle and mule deer hunt your way up and back?
harge57
AG
Llamas?
shaynew1
AG
Seen a guy w half a dozen llamas headed up in front of us a few years ago.

They looked flush w vittles and comforts and we never saw them the rest of that freezing trip.
cc_ag92
AG
Depending on where you are going, I am pretty sure you can get some Llamas. See if this group has anything close to you:

https://wildernessridgetrailllamas.com/

Good Luck
LEJ
DiamondHitch Stables on Piedra Rd just outside Pagosa is where I rented my horse and trailer. $150 for my deal (tacked out) as long as you get trailer, horse and gear back on same day.

You could take a friend, rent 2 horses and have buddy take them down and back to town same day. Prob run you $250.

Blue Duck might still be grumpy by then, but he was a great horse for a greenhorn. He did start looking back downhill at the 7 mile mark and I had to actually walk him about the last 1/2 mile, so keep that in mind.
BurrOak
AG
Anyone ever used packing goats?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.