Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,572 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LEJ said:

The owner of LO (Brennen) was very helpful in answering my many questions by phone and emails. I have the 18.

Thanks! That's a good enough recommendation for me, knowing that you use it!
LEJ
It was the best overall value I could find for my needs. Any bit of buyer's remorse you may have when you see it in person will completely leave you after the first use.

Def get someone to help you on first assembly for dping the "burn in". Wear latex or cut resistant gloves. It is a bit of a pain, esp in the field. Break down is easy.

So worth it
cupofjoe04
AG
I thought they forgot the stove jack for my Luxe tent- but it was wedges in the bottom of the tent box. Customer service emailed me back immediately, and helped me locate it (though they were ready to send a new one if it wasn't in the box). Just wanted to update that everything came as advertised, and give a shout out to a company with good customer service.
cupofjoe04
AG
Do you use a stove jack protector or sleeve between your stove pipe and the stove jack material?

The stove jack is silicone coated fiberglass, but it has a sticker advising the use of a sleeve as well.
LEJ
My seek outside stovejack has fire ******ant material built into it.

FrontPorchAg
What made you decide to go floorless? I use one at work to save pack weight but the is completely negated by the stove.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
cupofjoe04
AG
Mtn_Guide said:

What made you decide to go floorless? I use one at work to save pack weight but the is completely negated by the stove.

Being able to bring a tent big enough for my whole family was the primary factor. My kids are starting to get old enough to hike. My youngest isn't quiet there, but I have a hiking baby backpack he sits in. When you already have a kid on your back, every ounce matters! Plus, for a few years, I'll have most of their gear on my back as well.

Secondly, I wanted a tent that could also double dip for hunting & fishing excursions. This whole tipi is lighter than the Tentsile Flite+ I was using, and that was basically a solo tent vs this housing 4 people easily. Add a stove, and split the weight with someone else, and I'm still way under what most people carry. Being able to extend into colder weather is a huge plus, as we could easily have snow during any of our rifle hunting seasons. Even if it isn't cold, it often rains in the afternoons. Being able go in the tent with my boots on, or hang cloths inside to dry is a plus as well.

Just seemed to make the most sense for camping all year in the west. Instead of having 3-4 different setups, I consolidated them all into 1. The only other thing I'm keeping is my hammock setup. For quick hiking or going ultralight, that simply can't be beat. But there is too much standing dead beetle kill pine in many areas for me to feel safe hanging in a tree.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Anyone receive their OTC archery tag that applied for preference points elk and deferred to archery?

They might not be sending them out until later just checking. I have been charged already.
AgEng06
AG
Not OTC, but I haven't received my limited 2nd-rifle deer tag yet either.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Thanks! Just making sure it didn't get thrown out or address messed up.
Hodor
AG
I was worried as well, and went on the CPW site to check. The OTC tag shows up as bought, but doesn't say it shipped yet. My small game license that I already got has an icon saying it shipped, so it eased my anxiety.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Good to hear! I have my small game license already but no tag. Was getting a little concerned.
shaynew1
AG
last night i dreamt i had a bull at 4 yards and collapsed catastrophically, pushing my arrow a few feet to the right.

and somehow, managed to 12 ring his butthole.

buried to the nock.

did not recover.

anyone proficient at dream analysis?
agingcowboy
AG
shaynew1 said:

last night i dreamt i had a bull at 4 yards and collapsed catastrophically, pushing my arrow a few feet to the right.

and somehow, managed to 12 ring his butthole.

buried to the nock.

did not recover.

anyone proficient at dream analysis?

I'll give it a go:

The fact that you were 4 yards from a bull elk in your dream means you aspire to greatness. It's good to have ambition.

The fact that it was so close and you blew it speaks some insecurity. I suspect you married above yourself and it gnaws at your subconscious at times.

The fact that you 12 ringed his butthole speaks to your ego.

The fact that the arrow only buried to the nock despite a perfect 12-ring speaks to an underpowered bow. Time to upgrade to 80 pound limbs.

Not recovering the animal, again is about fear/insecurity about being judged by the entirety of the OB. Your whole worth is really based upon whether or not you bring home some wild meat this season. I think buying pants that are 1" longer in the in-seam will help this.

Good luck.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
shaynew1
AG
This might explain why I get into high stakes footraces after a few beers.
LEJ
You need to be doing more cardio to the point that you're too tired to dream.
shaynew1
AG
I've been jiu jitsuing and working. Lungs is ok, but a few months behind on lunges.
CTGilley
AG
CO first rifle tag came today.
lazuras_dc
AG
CO Rifle 1 tag in the mail today also
LEJ
Got my Colorado deer and otc elk tag today.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Thanks for letting us know! I'll be on the lookout for mine now.
mneisch
AG
Also got Colorado tag today.
GottaRide
S
I also got my Colorado tag today. Any season, private land cow tag.
cc_ag92
AG
Our group got our 1st season elk tags yesterday.
AgEng06
AG
Got my 2nd rifle deer tag today! Is it October yet?
BrazosBQ
AG
Same here
LEJ
No, but August is like next month.
shaynew1
AG
LEJ said:

No, but August is like next month.

It sure as **** is
ttha_aggie_09
AG
The eagle has landed!

cupofjoe04
AG
Went for a climb and then a run tonight. I checked- and the mountains are still here ready to kick your butt (Incase anyone forgot). September will be here before you know it, get your butt moving!!!!

How are you doing on your training? Are you going to crush it or get crushed?!?!

Did a 2 mile hike with some pretty steep elevation, 40lb pack. Felt strong after. Took a break to rehydrate and soak in a little nature. Then I dumped the pack and set out on my routine 2 mile circuit- my goal was to run them both sub 8'/mile. As I approached the end of the second, I was tired but felt decent, so I decided to push on for a 3rd. Finished at 24:12... but I'm chalking it up as a win! Even though I was a touch over 8'/, I had an extra mile. Great to push my lungs and mind like that.

Keep at it boys!!!!

ttha_aggie_09
AG
You're way ahead of me on the running part. About to start morning runs now that I am 12 weeks out.

Stair climber progression has been solid and I have incorporated a lot of stability exercises for legs and lower back into my work out. I've been really sore which has delayed the start of my running. I'm also going to be running up and down the retention pond between two lakes I live by, weighted with a pack.

Not sure how my progression will be on that but am thinking like start at 20 and move up 10lbs each week until I hit 80-100. Our outfitter recommended training down here with about double the weight to prepare for the altitude... that's going to be tough.
shaynew1
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

How are you doing on your training? Are you going to crush it or get crushed?!?!

I always get crushed.

But my arrows are flying wonderfully.
harge57
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

You're way ahead of me on the running part. About to start morning runs now that I am 12 weeks out.

Stair climber progression has been solid and I have incorporated a lot of stability exercises for legs and lower back into my work out. I've been really sore which has delayed the start of my running. I'm also going to be running up and down the retention pond between two lakes I live by, weighted with a pack.

Not sure how my progression will be on that but am thinking like start at 20 and move up 10lbs each week until I hit 80-100. Our outfitter recommended training down here with about double the weight to prepare for the altitude... that's going to be tough.

Best thing to simulate the altitude is training in the heat. Doubling the weight seems to risk injury.

https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20792387/training-in-heat-to-prepare-for-altitude/
LEJ
Go Hunt has an article up about big changes coming for 2020-2026

Just scanned it but things I noticed

Archery deer and elk will now have set dates of sept 2 - sept 30. Season is now 29 days instead of 30.

Rifle 2 and 3 have each been cut from 9 to 7 days with more rest time in between seasons. Rifle 4 now includes thanksgiving so it seems that everything has been pushed back.

I wish I would have started this earlier in life.

Hate to be an alarmist but deep in my gut I have butterflies now more than ever about the future of western hunting opportunities.

Edit- above is all for Colorado. Other state changes coming as well
AgEng06
AG
They are also proposing for 2nd rifle to start on a Wednesday and run 7 days. That sucks for those of us that drive in and need the two weekends to limit vacation days.

Edit to add link: https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Commission/2019/July/Item.16-BGSS.Final.Recs-July.2019.PWC.pdf

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.