Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

142,558 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I took a buddy from Dallas out for a little fun in the San Juan's today.

We chased ducks around a mountain lake all morning. 3 grown men and a dog all piled into an old canoe. I sat in the middle so my buddy could have the front and shoot. It was fine until the dog started getting in and out, and filled the bottom of the canoe with 1/2" of icy cold water sloshing about. Being on my knees on a cold metal canoe with soaking pants for several hours... I was hurting at the end of it.

But we ended up with 7 ducks. My buddy was really having a rough time knocking them down at first. After a while of paddling around and watching him blast water and scare ducks, I started shooting too. I ended up with 5 and he finally got a few. There were geese and quite a few mallards, but they were so skittish. Neither would come close enough for shots, really. We managed a few hens, and a couple mergansers.

We Went looking for grouse next, and mostly just enjoyed driving and checking out the beautiful fall colors and took our 20 gauges for a walk. It is stunningly beautiful right now. No grouse, but no complaints either.

All in all, a good day was had!

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Mergansers! Congratulations... never shot one. Sounds like a fun hunt and the colors changing is awesome
shaynew1
AG
dang i wish i had some san juans in my backyard
lazuras_dc
AG
Looks awesome. Guessing you guys didn't get much snow ?

En route to Colorado right now ! No issues checking firearm. The only weird thing was TSA wanted to wipe down and test my game bags in my carryon for some reason.
BullSprig07
AG
Checking the firearm at Hobby was very painless. When I was waiting to pick it up upon arrival I was talking with another hunter from my flight who said checking a firearm at the Denver airport is way more of a PITA and to allow yourself extra time. Just FYI if that's where you're flying out of.

Stayed at an Airbnb in telluride last night and watched the stros at a local watering hole. Headed to the trailhead now to scout our 1A spot. Jamming to Ted Nugent. Some of you here have never jammed to Fred Bear on the way to a hunting spot at 5AM and it shows.
aggie0959
https://imgur.com/a/tEfssOe
lazuras_dc
AG
Thx for the heads up. Wonder why Denver is harder and what they do differently. I'm sure they see it often.
mneisch
AG
Pictures!
cupofjoe04
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Looks awesome. Guessing you guys didn't get much snow ?

En route to Colorado right now ! No issues checking firearm. The only weird thing was TSA wanted to wipe down and test my game bags in my carryon for some reason.

No snow here yet, it just got pretty cold.
AgLA06
AG
Apache said:

Bull down!! My first... pics & story to follow.

Did I miss this?
Apache
AG
OK, sorry I'm a little slow getting this up. Lots of work & things to catch up on were waiting for me when I got back.
Drove out to Las Vegas, NM & then got up early to drive to Pecos Wilderness in the pouring rain on Friday Oct. 4. We were all supposed to meet up at 10:00 AM to pack in on mules to our camp, but the rain kept coming so we didn't leave until 3:00. The four hour mule ride was rough on this old man! We saw a lone bull near camp who was utterly unconcerned with us.

Day 1: My guide (who despite his appearance I am positive is part Sherpa & part Ethiopian distance runner) & I set out early on mules in high winds. There were no elk out in the open, so we tied up the mules & snuck around through the woods cow calling near some wallows. Nothing. Later than morning we heard a bugle, but after some excitement we saw a couple of hunters peering back at us from about 400 yards away. The evening was pretty much the same. Lots of riding & no action.

Day 2: Up early on the mules & into the timber. Winds still whipping. More riding, occasional cow calling & not hearing anything at all. We break for lunch & take a quick nap. Around 3:30 we are back on mules & I am staring at spruce trees off to the left. My guide quickly turns & says "Get your gun out!" Off to my right a nice 6x6 is working over a small tree about 35 yards off trail. I throw the guide my reins & do my best John Wayne pulling out the rifle from the saddle scabbard & hop down. I throw in a primer as the guide is pulling the mules away. 6x6 is staring right at me broadside. I kneel down & turn the scope to 4x & the site is full of elk. BOOM I let him have it with the .50 cal T&C. The elk wheels & heads down into a nasty canyon. My heart is pounding as the above action took all of 30 seconds.

We head to the spot where the elk was standing & there is no blood whatsoever. Nothing on the trail & we never heard him crash. I missed. WTF?! I was pretty much beside myself. How in the heck can you miss from 35 yards? Standing where the elk was I looked back to where I took my shot. I started to walk slowly back & at about 7 yards from where I shot, it became evident why I missed:

My bullet plowed through a branch that wasn't visible in my scope. An inch higher & I'd have been clear. I was really frustrated because we hadn't seen an elk & I thought this might be my only chance. At the same time I was relieved that the elk wasn't wounded & it wasn't my crap shooting that caused me to miss.

I caught a lot of s&*t for shooting a tree from the other guys in camp, but none of them had killed anything either. At least I had a good sunset to to ponder:

Day 3: We ditched the mules today & starting out walking a little after 6:00 AM. We were headed out to the same area we saw the bull the day before. Despite my saddle soreness, I appreciated the mules much more after mile 2 of hiking a general uphill slope. We were around 11,400 feet & despite 3 months of working out I was gassing out quickly on the really steep parts.

We were working our way down a wooded ridge to overlook a meadow when we saw a cow & calf headed away from us. The wind was in our favor, we followed them on the off chance a bull would be nearby. After another mile or so the canyon got pretty steep so we went to the top of the wooded ridge. The guide did a cow call & after a few minutes it was answered by a bugle. After the Day 1 false alarm & the general lack of bugling, I was skeptical it was an actual bull. The top of the ridge was a little windy, but he seemed more optimistic. We began walking in the direction of the bugle slowly.
It didn't take long before the guide turned to me & said again "Get your gun ready". I was already ahead of him & unslung my rifle & popped in a primer. A nice 6x6 was quartering towards us & staring hard, trying to figure out what we were. I grabbed a small tree for a rest & settled in for the shot & pulled the trigger slowly. This time I knew the elk was hit & hit hard. He took a few steps but didn't (couldn't run) The guide wanted me to put another bullet in him just to be safe, so I reloaded as quickly as I could. Grabbing another tree for a rest, I tried to put another shot in him, but once again I hit timber. The deadfall was damn thick. Lost of dead trees everywhere because of the beetle infestation.
Note: Gratuitous elk blood for shaynew1

The bull pushed off after the shot again still walking slowly, and I reloaded once more and this time put another bullet in him. He went down in some really thick stuff but I had a really good eye on him. After a few minutes he let out a few bellows & was done. Took a few photos & quartered him up, then headed back a couple of miles to get the mules for pack up back to camp. That night we enjoyed elk tenderloins cooked over an open flame can't recall a finer meal!

General observations:
*Things happen must faster than I thought. I had visions of watching a bull stride across an alpine meadow for long minutes bugling at me. All my encounters were sub 50 yards in timber & happened in seconds.
*Elk hunting is a lot like turkey hunting. I think I could do this on my own now provided I could get a pack out & get some practice in on calling.
*Wool + a windblocking jacket is the way to go. I was plenty warm in first lite stuff everyone else had Sitka which seemed to be pretty loud in the woods.
*Note to self: Practice shooting muzzleloader at 35-75 yards AS WELL as shooting 100-200 yard shots.
*Holy crap elk are big. My bull was around 900 # more or less looked like a steer laying there.
*Always pack rain gear. Barely made it back to camp before a quick sleet/rain storm hit would not have been fun.
*Altitude is a killer despite all my efforts to get in shape. Can't imagine how bad it would have been if I hadn't been working out.
*I'm switching from powder to pellets so I can reload faster.
*Definitely down for doing this again!!!

aggie0959
Bull down. Old 6x in unit 53 Co. pics to come
AgEng06
AG
Hell yeah! Now we're rollin' boys!
shaynew1
AG
I need to see the blooood
cupofjoe04
AG
Heck yeah! Congrats guys- can't wait for the pics!

I'm headed back in at lunch. A friend has a tag in a limited draw unit over the divide. He has apparently pushed WAY further back in than he anticipated, and is closer to the divide than the trailhead (and his hunting parter who is leaving today). I'm going to hike back in tonight and push over the top and meet him with supplies, then do some hunting with him tomorrow. Maybe we can get him on one in the morning!
mneisch
AG
Eager to hear more reports. Hunting partner and I will be heading out of Houston at 4am Thursday morning, drive straight through to Colorado. Weather is looking a bit colder than usual and preparing for a few days of snow.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Congrats!
Rough couple days here in the front range. Lazuras and i got after them hard Saturday, Sunday and yesterday and they are just not in my valley the way they usually are. Saw goats, moose, deer, but no elk. Decided to pack up yesterday afternoon and hike back to civilization for a shower, burger, beer and warm bed, and talked to several people who had had or heard the same as we were experiencing, elk just not where they normally are this time of year. Think the full moon is not helping. Gonna check out a few different spots this morning then head back to the real world. Good intro for Lazuras into the world of cold nights and backpack sufferfests though! He got some good pics too
aggie0959

mneisch
AG
That's a stud!
Fairview
AG
mneisch said:

That's a stud!

Nice elk too!
LEJ
lazuras_dc
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

Heck yeah! Congrats guys- can't wait for the pics!

I'm headed back in at lunch. A friend has a tag in a limited draw unit over the divide. He has apparently pushed WAY further back in than he anticipated, and is closer to the divide than the trailhead (and his hunting parter who is leaving today). I'm going to hike back in tonight and push over the top and meet him with supplies, then do some hunting with him tomorrow. Maybe we can get him on one in the morning!

GMU 76?
A buddy of mine has about 15pts hoping to draw for 2021
lazuras_dc
AG
Like NRD said, I got the intro elk hunting for Rifle 1 in Colorado. Packing in and out the gear was tough but wish we could've packed out more weight.

We hunted hard- a lot of hiking, cold nights camping, more hiking, glassing, more hiking. Found some sign - tracks , turds, beds...but never laid eyes on an elk. Saw a cow moose that strolled on by at 100 yards which was cool ! I'm already ready to go through more suffering next year !

Amazing sunsets

Here's the moose. Got to about 100 yards from us as we were having lunch and stood there for a minute then took off.

Our campsite. Pretty sure it got down to the teens. Hunting is fun but cold camping blows. That's not gunna stop me though!
BullSprig07
AG
It's been a tough 1st rifle for me (again) too. We bother saw multiple bulls the first two days and had shots on a couple. NONE were legal. The worst part is that we have either sex tags and have seen NO cows. Add in a flat tire on day three just as we were finding our new spot and it's been a rough four days.
AgEng06
AG
Hey man, don't quit. It only takes a few seconds to turn your whole hunt around.

(well you took a little bit out of my reply w/ your edit...)
lazuras_dc
AG
Buddy struck out GMU 33

He said over run with motorized vehicles. Saw some muley does. Found elk and bear track but never laid eyes on either.

Ran into a few guys at airport - one an Aggie who struck out GMU 55

And another guy who paid for a private land guided hunt in WY. Guide took him on public land instead. They had a big blowup with the guide and left the second day in after seeing multiple other hunters.
lazuras_dc
AG
I will confirm that Denver Airport is much more of a pain in the ass to check firearm. Everyone is nice but it is not very efficient. If you fly Southwest you have to walk with a person to another terminal to run it through TSA and they unlock every case to check it and there's a long line
stdeb11
AG
Got back Tuesday evening from helping my dad and his buddy on their 1st rifle hunt. Both were able to tag their first elk and I got some good scouting in for my 3rd rifle tag in that area. Was an awesome time.

My dad shot his cow opening morning to put us off to a good start. She was big and had tons of fat, for sure the fattest elk I've ever helped butcher. They did complain I "forgot" to mention to them about how much work packing an elk out is, but it was only 2.5miles and relatively flat. They did great for a couple of flatlanders.

My dads buddy had a few issues with rifle sight in and after a few misses Monday we setup a quick "range" and got him back dialed in.

Tuesday morning they were a bit exhausted and tossed around the idea of sleeping in and then packing up. I convinced them to do one more quick hike and my dads buddy was glad he did. He tagged this little one when it got lost from the herd and kept wandering right towards us. I was glad since I was the pack mule. I carried half of that big cow in one trip and I don't think I could have done that again.

Just a fun trip overall as we saw quite a few elk and it was nice to share time out hunting with Dad.
mneisch
AG
Colorado bound! Departed Houston this morning at 4:30 and should arrive at the trailhead around 10 tonight. Will camp there before hiking in tomorrow and scouting.
BullSprig07
AG
Sorry didn't realize I took the "talk me out of quitting" out when I edited. I did not quit day 5 and glad I didn't because any day hiking in the mountains at sunrise is better than sitting here in Houston but still wasn't able to find a legal elk in the last day.

0-2 on elk stings, especially when you prepare and think about it almost all year. I know there's some who've gone way longer than 2 years without tagging one though and if it was easy everyone would do it and it wouldn't be as satisfying when it does come together. My wife has been awesome, even asked me yesterday "don't you just want to get a guide next year?" I'm super grateful I have a a wife who would support that and that I have the means to even be able to consider it. But this elk thing is just an itch I have to scratch myself. Lots more lessons learned this year. In a way it felt like a win having elk in shooting range for both of us the first two mornings of the season at our 1A spot, just damnable luck that none of them were legal.

Hope you guys with tags still in your pockets give us some more pics to fawn over.
LEJ
Water Turkey07 said:

0-2 on elk stings, especially when you prepare and think about it almost all year.

Welcome to the club in which you're unqualified to be 3rd Vice-President.
lazuras_dc
AG
LEJ said:

Water Turkey07 said:

0-2 on elk stings, especially when you prepare and think about it almost all year.

Welcome to the club in which you're unqualified to be 3rd Vice-President.

Ran into a guy who drew moose points For 25 years. Finally got his tag and didn't see an animal. Burned his tag. Brutal!
cupofjoe04
AG
Thought ide post up a few local bulls, just to break up the strike outs. I ate 2 heaping bowls of tag soup myself- muzzelloader deer and ewe sheep.

Been helping out with a few animals since then.

A buddy drew a Unit 76 tag (10-12 points). Went in early, to hunt a pretty steep drainage. Not too hard to hunt, just a butt kicker to hike- old burn and lots of avalanche chutes makes spotting them a bit easier. It took him a decade of points to draw this tag, and there are some true bruisers in there. He was really set up well for a week of hunting big elk, and saw 4 bulls the evening before season.

Opening morning, they had 4 elk bugling. Early afternoon, he finally made it to a little clearing and saw a bull. Boom- hunt over. These pictures are... generous... to say the least. He is a nice bull- but 1/2 way in day one in a premium unit that took a decade to draw. Not me.

He is a pretty young 5x5, but has plenty of mass and a dark face. In all fairness, this is his first ever bull to kill. Though he enjoys talking big and playing "hunting guide" for his friends (I've never heard of any of them killing anything). It was a decent pack down to camp (with a couple of helpers), and horses from there. The 3 times I've heard him retell this story since we got back, the distances and elevations seem to grow, and the story gets a little wilder each time. Hey- he's excited and proud of his first bull, as he should be.

After that, I had the pleasure of bouncing up the road to join a good friend for a day. He was hunting a specific area we know well, and had some elk down in a very inaccessible spot. I decided to just come up for a day and see how bad it was. This was in my home unit, so not nearly the size as across the divide in 76.

We get up there and sure enough, a couple bulls are down in a box canyon. They are VERY hard to spot and keep a track of- it is crazy thick. Each had a small group of cows, and were driving each other crazy trying to keep them separated in such a tight spot. What was really odd- they weren't talking at all. You could have EASILY walked right by that canyon, and never known they were there. We ended up getting above them, and it was there I saw something I've never witnessed before. They were actually bugling at their cows- but they would assume the position, curl the lips, the belly would go up and down, hot air coming out... but we couldn't hear anything at all. I believe they were bugling so very softly, that only their cows could hear. Probably learned that whoever makes noise gets shot.

There weren't any huge bulls, but one decent 6x6. We were debating the route and if it's possible to climb down without busting them all out, and how many ropes and climbing harnesses we would need to get one out- when we caught some movement below us. It was a satellite bull, a nice 5x5. Not heavy, but a good bull for the area for sure. He was trying to peel off cows from the fringes. None of the elk were too excited, but they were still trying a little bit. Post-rut I guess.

I asked my buddy if he would shoot it, and he said "hell yeah". We decided to try and call him up to us, since he looked a bit desperate and lonely. We were only about 500 yards away, but basically straight above him. We thought he would have to come up the corner of the canyon, where there was a steep elk/deer trail. So, he set up 100 yards from where we thought the bull would crest, and I backed up about 20 yards behind him. I started some really subtle sweet sexy elk music, and almost immediately my buddy turned and said "he's looking". I couldn't see or be seen by the elk, and I started pacing the ridge a little while calling, keeping the volume WAY down. He didn't bugle back, or anything. So I gave him a pretty soft pleading whine, and then I shut up. After a minute, my buddy said "he's coming".

We waited and waited, scanning the corner where he should be popping up any second. He should have been there by now. Wind was right, sun was at our backs- we both shrugged at each other. I signaled for him to sit tight. I gave another soft cow call, then ran back over the top of the hill, faced away, and did about 1/2 of a bugle (all I had was the cow call, so I did my best). I then rolled back over the hill, and cow called facing away from the bull as I trotted over towards where I had bugled.

About 15 seconds later, I hear some branches breaking and rocks falling, followed by a BOOM. I thought "Oh crap, he fell down into the canyon!" I ran over the ridge again, and see my buddy standing and aiming behind him. I look, and see a bull elk trying to crawl over the top of the hill.

Apparently, he didn't take the trail, but basically scaled the freaking side of the cliff like a goat when he heard my last calls. He came up behind my friend, who wheeled and shot him. That was a blessing, because he crawled on top of the hill instead of rolling back down the canyon. What we thought was going to be a brutal pack out ended up being just a heavy stroll around the ridge!

Nothing like a little San Juan Success!!!
LEJ
Awesome. I'm pretty confident that I know what was going on when you witnessed the "silent bugles".
lazuras_dc
AG
Great trip report Joey!

Rinella was also talking about silent bugles on one of their latest podcasts.

Would be pretty bizarre to see I imagine.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.