Outdoors
Sponsored by

2019 Western States Draw Deadlines

141,644 Views | 1407 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
LEJ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We still have a few 2018 stories to tell (I'm lookin at you AgEng06 and in the mirror), but we've got no time for that right now.

Wyoming deadline is tomorrow Jan 31 (not sure what time) and Arizona is fast approaching (February 12).

Let the (pre) games begin!

Edit: WY deadline is tomorrow at 11.59pm
AgEng06
AG
WOOOOOOOOO!
AgEng06
AG
And I know, I owe the 2018 thread a story.
BurrOak
AG
I'll probably be sitting out this year. PP only.
stdeb11
AG
Hell yeah.

First I need to figure out spring Turkey hunting. CO apps due 2/5.... Although I just checked had one less point than I thought I did so maybe just OTC again
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Can anyone explain these western state systems for a noob?

I'm on the Wyoming website right now applying.

I'd like to apply for elk and mule deer. Are they going to charge my card for $707 right now and refund if I don't get selected?

Also, assuming I don't get selected, is that how I accrue preference points?

Thanks.

cupofjoe04
AG
Every state is different. I can tell you about CO, but I'll let someone with knowledge tell you about WY. Essentially, you have the basic as correct. There are TONS of quirks and nuances for each system, though
agingcowboy
AG
Wyoming charges your card for everything as if you drew. When you don't draw they refund all but a small fee.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
44mAG
AG
In for Wyoming elk. According to draw odds, I have a 98% chance to draw. Hopefully I am not one unlucky dude! Looking forward to my hunt in late September!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
In! Montana is end of March I think. Looking at MT, CO, NM, and possibly speed goat in WY
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
44mAG said:

In for Wyoming elk. According to draw odds, I have a 98% chance to draw. Hopefully I am not one unlucky dude! Looking forward to my hunt in late September!
Which unit did you apply for? I'm thinking 124.
LEJ
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers (BHA) has FB groups for all the western states. Can usually find willing residents with helpful advice n info.

I think I read recently on the WY page that points are no longer automatic and you have to actually apply for them later if you don't draw or even if you don't apply
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Correct. I think that application starts July 1.
TexasAg2017
AG
Is there 1 or 2 sites that have a general run down of the process and things like that? Noob to all of this but want to start the process
AgEng06
AG
gohunt.com is a pretty good resource... but it's a subscription service. You can post specific questions here, though, and I (or others) will do our best to answer them.
LEJ
Gohunt.com and Corey Jacobsens Elk101.com and his elktalk podcast with Newberg or Newberg's hunttalk podcast are all good resources
TexasAg2017
AG
Gohunt seems pretty helpful, would you say the membership is worth it?

I'm really just looking to go for elk and mule deer tags for now. Pronghorn in the far future. I hear Wyoming and Colorado tossed around a lot for elk. Not sure about mule deer though.
agenjake
Yes, you have to pay up front for the tags. But, that alone does not count for preference points. If you want to accumulate preference on points, you must also buy the preference point.

If you do not get drawn, you get refunded the tag costs, but not the application fee or preference points.

Paying up front is GOOD. It keeps the low bidders out and helps keep odds better.
44mAG
AG
So, if you do get drawn, your points go to zero, correct? I would also assume that you are not allowed to buy a point in the summer if you get drawn this year?
98Ag99Grad
AG
Are these for a public land hunt?
arrow
AG
Finally!

TopRut.com has some good info for free:

I also use gohunt.com quite often for planning. You can also do a year subscription to Huntin Fool and learn everything you need to know for a good western state strategy. All the youtube stuff from Newberg and Jacobson will likely answer most questions. Certainly regarding elk.

arrow
AG
After my last three seasons, August snow storm in Colorado, wind storm in Wyoming, and bitter cold in BC, I'm thinking of going floorless and running a stove.

LEJ (pretty sure it was you), ready to give a review on the tipi with stove? Anyone else? It would add nearly 4 pounds to my current set-up, but I'm still thinking it would be worth it.

jetescamilla
AG
Alaska F&G closed their draw in December of 2018. Aside from an already planned caribou hunt I have on Adak Island in October I put in for caribou in DC485 and moose in DM325

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=huntingmaps.hunt_details&huntfile_id=21824

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=huntingmaps.hunt_details&huntfile_id=21911

LEJ
I have a seek outside silvertiip with lite outdoors stove (18" with baffle and spark arrestor).

If you're tall, you need to go bigger than the silver tip. It's billed as a 1-2 man but 2 would be tight, esp with stove. I've pretty much got my layout down pat.

The total setup is a little over 4 lbs. Floorless takes a little getting used to but it's much better for Western hunting, IMO.

It bucks the wind great and you can pin the edges down tight to the ground or jack it up (line lock extensions) completely or partially on one or more sides if you need a little air flow.

Picking a good spot that's not dished out is important if it rains.

The burn time on the stove with seasoned post oak is unbelievable... overbite is no prob. Unfortunately, there's none of that in the mountains. About 3 hrs burn time is the longest I've been able to get with sappy mountain juniper, pine and spruce.

At the end of the day, it makes life easier and much more comfortable. I've had it 80 inside while in the low 20s with a whipping wind blowing out.

Setup is a pain in the ass until you've done it a few times and you def want to "burn it in" and practice a couple times before you leave. Latex or cut resistant gloves are a must.

LEJ
arrow
AG
That looks just about ideal for going solo.
BullSprig07
AG
In for this year's thread. I'm still mad at the elk after last year. Looks like we're burning our points (2) on a first rifle unit in Colorado we got some good info on. Then just PP in AZ, WY and UT. Will take a couple flyers in New Mexico (Ibex, Oryx). If I can refine my sales pitch to the wife that I need to make two trips out west a year then may apply for some late season mule deer in New Mexico or look at finally doing the Arizona OTC deer hunt in January 2020.

Look forward to reading all you mug's times on the 22's again this summer.
AgEng06
AG
Water Turkey07 said:

Look forward to reading all you mug's times on the 22's again this summer.
F that, I know where I stand. I won't be doing that sh*t again.
LEJ
Wtf is shaynew? We're gonna need another load of sand, stat!
LEJ
shaynew1
AG
HELLO
fightingfarmer09
If someone (myself) wanted to hunt MT/WY/CO in the future, but not 2019 how would you begin getting points?

Do you have to purchase them prior to the deadline? Or can you purchase them at a later date?

Again not hunting in 2019, but would like to have a chance to go for Antelope/Elk/Mule Deer in the future.
arrow
AG
Montana and Wyoming make it easy. They have period starting in the summer and ending in the fall for points only purchases. In Colorado, unless their new system changed this, you simply purchase your point during the normal application period.

Colorado is a straight preference point state for deer, elk, and antelope. Highest point holder gets the tag.

Wyoming is a preference point state. 75% go to highest point total. 25% go random. (Keeping this about points, I'll not getting into special draw vs regular draw).

Montana points are a little different. They have a bonus points for their limited draw units and preference points for their general tag. Bonus points are squared. That's how many times your name is in the hat. You can draw with any amount of points.

Up until the last couple of years the preference point wasn't required as the General Tag was a 100% draw for non-residents. I think last year or maybe 2017 this changed to about a 90% draw. So you needed a preference point to guarantee yourself a tag.
LEJ
Worth it. Also get a $50 credit towards online store stuff. Don't know if you still need a code but poke around and make sure you're getting it.

I bought my SG pack off go hunt at same price SG sells them for and earned points towards future gear purchases from the gohunt store. Wading through all this crap state by state is for pre Algore internet days.
BullSprig07
AG
Newberg does a good job explaining the draw/point systems of each state. These are a couple years old and some of the states have already made some tweeks but it is still a good overview. You'll know pretty quickly if it's something you are going to want to get into, and if so then the goHunt membership is well worth it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.