Outdoors
Sponsored by

Elk Hunt - meals

7,783 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ttha_aggie_09
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need help, again from the OB board.

I eat, a lot... and am trying to figure out how I am going to get my calorie count up while I am on the trip. We're going to have a stove and mostly have mountain house type meals.

Here is the problem, they're only like 400 calories for two servings... I'm going to blow through that boiling the water. Need help adding in stuff to add calories.

The best plan I have so far is the following:

Breakfast (eggs/bacon/oatmeal/dried fruit) - 600-800 calories
Lunch (jerky/high calorie snack bars) - 600-800 calories
Dinner (whatever mountain house meal + high calorie snack bar) - 1000 calories

Any recommendations? I'm fully expecting to drop about 10-15lbs just because my caloric intake will be significantly lower and my physical activity will be higher. I would prefer to keep the weight loss at a minimum and am looking for some advice.

Any advice on coffee, caffeine, etc. also appreciated too.
Watchful Ag
AG
10-15lbs? How long will you be out there for?
Sean98
AG
Where is base camp? Can you drive to it? Packing in?

I bet I eat 8x a day on the mountain. Lots of Clif bars and SpecialK meal replacement bars between real meals. We precooked a bunch of bacon (because I hate smelling like bacon grease on the mountain), cooked lots of eggs, and Folger singles on the jet boil for breakfast. If you make it back to camp, big lunch, then 2 pb&j sandwiches for dinner. When I get to camp after dark I'm bone tired and not in the mood to cook a big meal (or even wait for one to be cooked).

Lunch would be steak, or we also pre-made a lot of meals. Pasta, taco meat, enchiladas, etc. Ready to heat up and eat.

That's my general routine.
Sean98
AG
I can easily lose that much in a 10-14 day hunt.
Watchful Ag
AG
I shouldn't read this thread late at night or I'm going to find myself tearing through the refrigerator like cupofjoe's bear.
Watchful Ag
AG
Makes sense if you're out there for a couple of weeks. Must've missed that somewhere
ttha_aggie_09
AG
6 days
ttha_aggie_09
AG
All packed in on horses/mules. Weight isn't that much of an issue. Base camp 10,000 ft.
ttha_aggie_09
Puryear Playboy
AG
Red beans and rice was one of my staples. Pull the bags out of the cardboard boxes to save weight and space. Add extra rice.

Bring sausage. Spam works too. Or meat from your hunt as you get some.

Easy to cook, fills you up. Keeps you warm at night...
ursusguy
AG
Last October, I dropped 12 pounds in 8 or 9 days. I was slamming water like it was going out of style (avoiding altitude issues, worked like a charm). We had a mix and match of Mountain House and MREs, and a crap load of energy bars. Thankfully we had a bunch of Mountain House and MREs, because right off the bat all 3 of us would each eat an entire Mountain House packet....then go rummaging through the MREs.

Not really a coffee drinker. I'm one of those oddballs that prefers to sleep to the last moment, get dressed, shove some energy bars in my pocket and be headed out in about 5 minutes. I did drink the MRE coffee twice, but it was more of a matter of it was there.

We covered a LOT ground. Base camp at 11,200.
Watchful Ag
AG
I know there are plenty of guys on here trying to lose those final 10-15lbs. Care if we join you?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Would love to let you tag along but I was invited and no more room on the hunt.

I could probably lose 10-15lbs and be just fine I just would prefer to limit the amount of weight I lose. I'm still young and in decent shape.
ursusguy
AG
When we got ready to pack out, I had to get creative with a piece of rope. I couldn't tighten by belt any tighter. The wrangler made a semi serious semi joking comment about making sure my pants didn't fall down when going down the sketchy a-- trail.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
What you described is exactly how I envision it. Eat a mountain home dinner and then stuffing face with high calorie bars.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Luckily the nylon/tactical belt I'm bringing goes down like 6 sizes below.
BusterAg
AG
Peanut. Butter.
ursusguy
AG
When I say get creative, I mean about 15 seconds of daisy chaining paracord. So I practically had a tactical belt.
killbutchereat
For dinners we cooked chili and stew ahead of time then vacuum packed them into meal size packs and heated them up in a pot of hot water. Once hot dumped into bowls. Didn't have to clean a pot, and had a hot meal in about 15 minutes.
NRH ag 10
AG
I know you said weight doesn't matter, but high calorie count per oz will probably still help out for stuff you're carrying with you as snacks.

Justin's almond and peanut butter packets are about as good as it gets for this. 1.15oz and 180-190 calories. Maple almond butter and Vanilla almond butter are my favorites. Granola is great, reeses are really good, trader joes dark chocolate pb cups even better. Having a variety of snacks that are savory, salty or sweet should help you keep eating.

A little bit of olive oil added to your MH meals would probably be good too, stuff is like 250 cal/oz.
birddog7000
AG
Variety is a good thing, I got tired of eating the same stuff over and over and pretty much stopped eating my snack food the last day and a half. Pack out was tough since I didn't eat enough.

Edited to add that I might have had enough variety packed, but I ate little bits of everything every day. I will make bigger bags of stuff and eat one thing one day and switch it up the next.
birddog7000
AG
One thing I will pack again was dates. Put some peanut butter in a baggie and add three or four of the big dried dates. Lots of calories and it was a nice change from granola or chocolate.
FatZilla
AG
Whatever you decide to bring, eat some samples a week or so before to test out your reaction to them. Nothing like shltin your guts out for days because the new bar you brought doesn't agree with you.
ursusguy
AG
Nope, that is part of the fun.

That is the useful part of the MREs. You can use them to manipulate whether you are plugged or dropping weight. ;-)
FatZilla
AG
ursusguy said:

Nope, that is part of the fun.

That is the useful part of the MREs. You can use them to manipulate whether you are plugged or dropping weight. ;-)
Some weird fetish ya got there :P

stridulent
AG
If you want good coffee, get a small percolator or french press. For a percolator, you have to buy whole beans and then grind them. This can be done easily with a ziploc and a rubber mallet (both usually available on a camping trip).
dragons06
AG
Check out:
Heathers Choice
Green Belly Meals
Lungblood
I think you may be misinterpreting the labeling. Many Mtn House meals are in the 600+ cal range, if you consume the entire pouch. There are some that are higher. Almonds have a high cal/weight ratio and they're delicious. Rice seems like a waste of time, space and effort. You ever seen a fat Chinaman? No, no you have not. Cliff bars are just terrible. I will eat pine bark before I eat another cliff bar. Lara bars are tolerable, even decent. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna pack an avocado or two this year. They're just too damn tasty and it's something wildly different from the norm.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Most are 210-290 per serving, so a little less than 600 calories a pack. I eat lunches on a normal day that are 3x - 4x times that.... without walking/hiking for 6-7 miles. That's my concern.
Lungblood
You're gonna lose weight. The end.
AgEng06
AG
dragons06 said:

Check out:
Heathers Choice
Green Belly Meals
I like almost everything about Heather's Choice meals - the ingredients, the idea behind the meals, and the fact that Heather is pretty easy on the eyes.

The thing I don't like is the fact that the entrees are $15. I'll go ahead and take 2 Mountain Houses and chance the gastrointestinal issues for that price.
AgEng06
AG
For the OP, I have had good luck with the ProBar Meal bars. They are 3 oz and have 350-400 calories. That's pretty dense and some of the highest calorie/oz stuff you'll find.

Also, as has been mentioned, nut butters, jerky/meat sticks, and cheese work well.
Watchful Ag
AG
Why don't you be a real man and only eat what you kill?

Kidding of course. But a challenge is a challenge. Just saying ....
agingcowboy
AG
My longer trips have consisted of 3 packs of instant oatmeal for breakfast, summer sausage and bagel sammiches for lunch and a full Mountain house meal for dinner (serving sizes be damned). I'll eat bars and fruit snacks in between. I've stopped eating super healthy bars and substituted Snickers which seem more calorie dense to me. I also bring propel or other drink packets and drink at least 32 oz of water upon returning to camp (in addition to the 3L I drink from my water bladder throughout the day).
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Lungblood said:

You're gonna lose weight. The end.

I'm aware. Just trying to avoid looking like I went on Naked and Afraid
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.