*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

157,048 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen a case where the AI made a 30-31 bid with 5s, but did not hold the 55?
eeaggie11
AG
quote:
Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen a case where the AI made a 30-31 bid with 5s, but did not hold the 55?

I have but they had a good hand and the 50 so I was fine with it and I would have made the same bid.
247bassist
quote:

i'd do it
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
I have but they had a good hand and the 50 so I was fine with it and I would have made the same bid.

Okay phew. Same situation here. I was a bit surprised to see it though to be honest, and I had a moment of panic that I completely jacked up the bid algorithm for 1.0.1.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 7/11/2012 9:01p).]
Dr. Horrible
I've done it... Now 3 trumping in 5s without the 55 and two other offs, probably not...
Philip J Fry
AG
Gah. Another day, another day still in review. All for a grand total of 12 lines of additional code.
agfan2013
AG
So if you had to guess, when are you expecting the iPad app to be approved and the new update to be out?
Philip J Fry
AG
The iPad some time next week....or maybe a week after that.

v1.0.1 should happen in the next few days. Apple's review process is the following

"Waiting for review": 7-14 days
"In Review": < 24 hours.

So it's a lot of waiting with no input on where it is in the queue or anything. Updates take just as long as new submittals.

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 7/14/2012 7:58a).]
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
"Jay" bid 34 on 4s I ended up catching one of his offs and had 2 more doubles to lead. I lead the double 6 and he trumped it and then lead another off that was a 5 which I couldn't cover and we lost the hand.

He should have played the off on the trick that I had won and saved the trump till later.
Philip J Fry
AG
Couldn't agree more and I added that to my list a few days ago.

I've been looking into what might cause him to trump in when you are winning to begin with and I'm testing out the code now with 1.0.2. Unbelievably frustrating not being able to push these updates out more quickly than this.
Philip J Fry
AG
1.0.1 is finally being reviewed. If it passes inspection today. I will turn around a submit 1.0.2. Hopefully that one won't take 2 weeks to approve.

EDIT: 1.0.1 has been approved and is available in the app store.

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 7/16/2012 7:00p).]
Oh Four Five
AG
I made my wife download this on her iphone. Great job overall. We're really enjoying it. A couple of things we've noticed so far...

- When I bid 2 marks, my partner gives me count instead of holding for potential offs. Ex. I'm pulling trumps and my partner throws the 5:5 or 6:4 instead of the 2:1 even though count doesn't matter for a 2 mark hand.
- My partner held the double blank until the final round, presumably because it's a double. This one might be a little harder to code, but at some point, you realize you're not going to get the lead and you slough the double blank instead of something more valuable.
- Allow ability to review the hand. Basically at the end of the hand, give the option to watch how it unfolded with all dominoes face up.
- Need an Android version.
Shilo
AG
I played a game last night where the other team went 2 marks (on a hand that was def not a 2 mark hand). Anyway, that's not my concern. My issue was that my partner held on to count (4:1 & 5:0) while throwing away the double 3 before the 3:0 or 3:1 had been played. Turns out the guy with two mark had an off of 3:0. Is there a way to fix the AI so that they realize points don't matter on a 1 or 2 mark hand?

Great game by the way! That's the only issue I've run into so far.
Philip J Fry
AG
The issue with holding on to count during a 1+ mark bid has been corrected in 1.0.2 and was submitted to the app store this morning! So, in another week or so you should notice a difference. I still have an issue with it playing the 55 in this case, but that fix is going to take a little bit of work to get right.

Totally agree about the double blank. The slough code is absolutely the most difficult to get right. I'm still tinkering with it.

About reviewing...I had a suggestion via email where you would just shake the phone a bit to continue the next hand. How does that sound?

Android.....GAH. Once I get the iPhone sorted I'll either start working on it or just pay someone to do it for me. :-p

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 7/17/2012 2:02p).]
Shilo
AG
Thanks Fry! I think the app is great. I started playin 42 with my parents when I was in middle school and had no idea it would be so big in college. I've recommended your app to all my old 42 buddies!

I think a multi player version would be a hit. Something like words with friends where you can just make a play whenever you have time. I'm sure it'd be a tremendous amount of work for you but definitely be something worth doing. I'm sure someone has already requested it but forgive me for not reading all 9 pages of posts on this thread.

Thanks again!!
agfan2013
AG
Just finally had good enough service (vacationing in the hill country) to download the update and everything looks good after 5 games. I also got your email PJF but since I won't be around my laptop with itunes on it again until Sunday I doubt I'll be able to give you any feedback on 1.0.2

Keep up the good work!

[This message has been edited by Agfan2013 (edited 7/18/2012 6:08p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
No worries! I've been playing myself the passed few nights (you'd be surprised how little time I've had to play it for enjoyment). I know of 3 areas that I'd like to work on. In the mean time, I really am considering contracting out the multiplayer stuff to get it out the door earlier.
Philip J Fry
AG
iPad put on hold while I diagnose a very confusing graphic related issue.
khkman22
AG
quote:
iPad put on hold while I diagnose a very confusing graphic related issue.
Are you talking about the yet-to-be-approved submission, or the iPad's v1.0.1?
Philip J Fry
AG

I'm talking about the iPad version that has already been in the review process for 11 days.

It showed up fine on my screen, but the beta testers could not see anything at all. I think I understand what the issue is at this point, but I'll need some time to make sure it is behaving.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 7/19/2012 2:24p).]
Dr. Horrible
Updated to 1.0.1 from the ap store today. Only played one game, but looks good so far!
Philip J Fry
AG
Great! There was only a very minor AI change to 1.0.1, but you should notice your partner catching your punts more often.

The biggest change is that the picker won't lose focus if you go to the options menu while the picker is up. I think I also fixed the issue with the keyboard not disappearing if you hit the save button instead of closing the keyboard popup with the return button.

I think I have the iPad version back under control. I was finally able to replicate and fix the issue last night, so it went back into the app submittal process.
10PennyNail
AG
you are my hero.

When you start work on the Android app, I will be happy to beta and will purchase. I have several buddies on Android's who would all do the same.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Say you get the bid and you lead out your trumps (5's) and "Jay" is holding two of them the 6/5 and the 5/1. You lead the 5/5 and Jay plays the 5/1. Now you start to wonder where he 6/5 is so you throw a low one only to find out that Jay has it. It would be nice if he were to play the 6/5 first to help you out so it doesn't throw off your game plan
TexasRebel
AG
That's awful logic.

Jay can now lead a double or two so you can dump offs and win the hand.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Say you get the bid and you lead out your trumps (5's) and "Jay" is holding two of them the 6/5 and the 5/1. You lead the 5/5 and Jay plays the 5/1. Now you start to wonder where he 6/5 is so you throw a low one only to find out that Jay has it. It would be nice if he were to play the 6/5 first to help you out so it doesn't throw off your game plan

That is an interesting strategy, but if Jay has it and played it with your 55, wouldn't your instinct be that he is now out of trumps? You are also giving up a guaranteed trick with that move and lost an opportunity to dump an off so you can trump in on the 46.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 7/20/2012 6:09p).]
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
But if I play the 5/5 and Jay plays the 5/1 I still have the lead. My next goal is to find the 6/5 and to get it off the table so I will play the 5/4 or whatever the next trump down the line is. If Jay doesnt play the 6/5 right off I immediately change my strategy because I will lose the next trick because the other guys have it (that is my way of thinking). If he were to play the 6/5 right then I can continue my original strategy of dominance.
TexasRebel
AG
And lose the hand when your offs come around.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I don't bid if I have offs that if I lose will result in the loss of a hand. That is reckless.
Philip J Fry
AG
So you don't bid 30-31 if you have any offs at all? Just out of curiosity, how often do you win your bids?
TexasRebel
AG
Every off can potentially lose a 30 bid.

You'd be shocked when the 55 might fall to compliment a nickle and end it.
agfan2013
AG
I look at what I have in my hand. If I have even one hand that I can win for sure I play the 5-1 (using your example) then play the 5-6, then lead double/other domino guaranteed to win, which allows your partner to play his offs. I realize it's kinda scary not knowing who has your trump but everybody I play with does this.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I win probably 90% of my 30 or 31 hands
Philip J Fry
AG
Sorry, I meant how often do you get to pick your trumps?
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
It's probably 50/50.

I'm a pretty conservative player because I was taught by some VERY conservative players. I can keep up with aggressive players but that isn't my style. I rarely bid more than 32 if I'm going to bid 33 I would rather bid 1 mark.

I understand the way you other guys play I was just commenting that it is annoying with my way of thinking because that isn't what I would do. However, I'm weird.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.