*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

157,079 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If my AI learned from you, my inbox would be equally full of complaints that it's too hard.
Stocky82
AG
Philip: Using ver 2.1 on iOS 7, I too have seen the 6-4 unnecessarily sloughed several times, and the 5-5 also.

In each case, it had the appearance of a less-than-aware player following suit on the wrong end of a trump lead. That is, the lead domino was the high remaining trump, either the trump-6 or the trump-5; another player, having no trumps, appears to feel required to follow suit on the 6 or 5 and thus drops the big count on it. This is good play if the lead was your partner's, but not when it was your opponent's.

I haven't watched carefully enough to see if there seems to be a general pattern of following suit on the wrong end of a trump lead, though that seems likely to be the case. It's just easily noticed when a free dime is given to an opponent.

Steve Stockman '82
Philip J Fry
AG
I believe that the forced play code is working fine. It's the unforced play that's the problem and there is no pattern to it. It's 100% dictated by where the tile falls inside the players hands.

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 10/19/2013 9:09a).]
Philip J Fry
AG
Update was approved and is available. One user tells me it crashed on them. Can anyone confirm with details if this is happening?
TwoTimeAg
AG
Just crashed on me as well, third hand in and had just played double 5.
kamartin
Starting last night, the game just closes in the middle of a hand without explanation. This has happened numerous times

I was just told about the app last week & am already addicted.
hwishard
Both my wife's and my I-pad is doing the same thing,. In the middle of the hand the screen does back to the home page. This just started last night and also doing it again this morning. Sometimes I can make it through several hand but unable to complete a full game.
Dr. Horrible
Same here. iPad but running the iPhone version. iOS 6

Always seems to be immediately after I play when Phillip goes to make his selection...

A little more on what happened in my case. 2nd game, Fry won bid for 31, trumps 1s, I won the 2nd hand, followed up with the 6/6 and it crashed right there...

Separate note, in a game before crashing, I went trumps in 5s and on the first hand, led the 5/5. My partner chose to play the 5/1 instead of the 5/0 when he had both.

[This message has been edited by Dr. Horrible (edited 10/20/2013 10:21a).]
Philip J Fry
AG
This is frustrating. I caught this bug BEFORE apple started reviewing it. I self rejected the app and uploaded the fix. A few moments later, the app went into review and then straight to release. I think what happened is that the wrong binary got released somehow.

Let me guess...

Only crashes in the middle of the game and crashes after you've made your move. Does that sound right?

If so, I already have that fix submitted to the app store and re-requested an expedited review.
TwoTimeAg
AG
Correct, that is when it crashes.
Philip J Fry
AG
Well, that's good to know at least. For the meantime, I went ahead and made the app free for anyone to download since it has this fatal flaw. However, I 2.1.2 has been submitted and will be available sometime soon.
Philip J Fry
AG
Texas 42 HD is now in Review.
kbassil
AG
Sh*t just got real.
Philip J Fry
AG
Email from my grandmother

quote:
How long will it be before I can play 42 again without it stopping during the play??
bthotugigem05
AG
What's gross is she sent that from the toilet.
Philip J Fry
AG
The good news is that milwoo will now be a productive worker again until the patch comes out in the next couple days.
Stocky82
AG
The frustrating part is that the crash usually occurs right after I play the "gotcha" that ensures that I take all remaining tricks.

Well, one of the frustrating parts anyway. The other is the fact that I've never been able to complete a game since installing this version. Really looking forward to the patch so I can be nonproductive again. ;-)

BTW, speaking of taking all remaining tricks, is there a "laydown" option in the feature pipeline? If not, can I request one? (Yeah, I'm too lazy to play out 3 or 4 tricks when it's a mathematical certainty who will take them.)
Philip J Fry
AG
Hey, I can't even write code that looks at an index that actually exists in an array. Right now, making a game with a lay down option is risky.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
What am I supposed to do at the office now? Work?!
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:
What am I supposed to do at the office now? Work?!

http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2388754&forum_id=12
YWIA
uncover&humpit
AG
Wow, even Congressman Stockman is in on PJF's 42 game thread. Give 'em Hell Congressman, you are making us proud!
Philip J Fry
AG
During the next shutdown negotiations, can you get me some federal funding to hire some coders?

Oh, and if you vote to raise the debt ceiling, I'll vote against you in the primaries.

[/sarcastic post of today]
TexasRebel
AG
yes. get him some funding so i can start programming 42 AI
Sea Gull
AG
It's been crashing for me since I installed the latest update FYI
Philip J Fry
AG
You know, Apple says it's being expedited. If this is android, you guys would never know there was a problem. Would have been fixed in a few minutes.
Nagler
AG
Keeps crashing for me too
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Update was approved and is available. One user tells me it crashed on them. Can anyone confirm with details if this is happening?

While I'm fairly sure I know what the problem is and that the problem is fixed, I want to hear the details. If it's anyone other than the opponent to your left, that would be news to me and I'll need to address it.
Philip J Fry
AG
More e-mail humor:

quote:
Thanks for your reply. The game is awesome - I don't get to play as much as I would like anymore, so I want to play so that when we do get a chance to play with friends I won't be a total washout!! I am amazed at your skills of getting it up and out there!

1: That's what she said
2: So is my wife
3: Wish my wife was

All responses I desperately want to respond with.
TexasRebel
AG
Are you sure that wasn't a proposition?
hwishard
Just tried it again and it just crashed again. I was in about 3 hands and wham back to the home page. Please get this fixed I am hooked.
Philip J Fry
AG
Let me explain how things work with Apple. I submit an update, and then Apple reviews it. Sometimes it takes days. Sometimes it takes weeks. It's out of my hands at this point.
Sea Gull
AG
It's addicting! What else am I supposed to do on the ****ter now??
Philip J Fry
AG
I suppose you could become a beta tester. I only have a few slots left.

If you want to use the beta, send me an e-mail with your UDID and sign up at testflightapp.com

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 10/21/2013 8:17p).]
Sea Gull
AG
I'll send you the email tomorrow
ConstructionAg12
AG
Phillip,

I must admit this is an incredibly well made app! I have been looking for a great 42 app to teach myself how to play and learning different strategies to be able to compete with my buddies.

I completely understand about the app approving process and hope that it is a speedy one because I would love to keep playing the app consistently. Thank you for putting in the quality time to make this app!

Blue chute for you!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.