*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

157,072 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And shoot. I forgot to fix that keyboard issue on the iPad.
txagbq2009
AG
I found this App a couple of nights ago while bored... I'm having a great time with it. I didn't realize it was made by Aggie's until I downloaded it (Maroon entertainment gave it away) and found the discussion thread in the about section.. Great job guys, going to be suggesting it to my buddies!
Philip J Fry
AG
You have a million buddies, right?

Glad you're enjoying it.
txagbq2009
AG
sure do.. but If I spread the word to 1 million of my buddies I want at least 100,000 of your profits..
trueaggie2782
AG
Nothing to see here. I'm an idiot.

[This message has been edited by trueaggie2782 (edited 9/16/2012 7:36p).]
trueaggie2782
AG
See above, lol.

[This message has been edited by trueaggie2782 (edited 9/16/2012 7:36p).]
2006EE
AG
NM. We will keep this between us.

[This message has been edited by 2006EE (edited 9/16/2012 7:37p).]
trueaggie2782
AG
Lol
Philip J Fry
AG
Now I'm dying to know what the issue was.

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 9/16/2012 9:23p).]
2006EE
AG
Something about him thinking you coded wrong but he played a trump.
Philip J Fry
AG
I get a LOT of emails like that.
trueaggie2782
AG
1s were trumps. I had a 3-1 (last trump) and a 6-4 left. I knew my partner had the last of the 6s with a 6-5 and a 6-2. The opponents had the last 3 with a 5-3. I thought I played all of my trumps so I led the 6-4 knowing the partner would catch it and have a walker afterwards. He then threw the 6-2 which confused the hell out of me. I thought all was lost. So I threw the 3-1 and much to my surprise, we won. Then I was REALLY confused. It turns out that my partner made the correct play after all and I just had a huge brain fart. Let me tell you, you've come a long way in the bidding/playing aspect in this new beta.
Philip J Fry
AG
That's an interesting scenario. Let's pretend you didn't have the last trump...

I'm fairly sure your partner still would have played the 6-2 in this case. I need to sit down at some point and really figure out how to make your partner identify tricks to try and take the lead from you when it knows your tile is going to win anyway. I can't say I've been able to think of an easy rule of thumb to use for that though.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
"I love the app but it will not let me bid! How do I do this? When I touch 'bid' it does nothing"

Any suggestions on how I can make this clear for new users without cluttering up the screen too much? Probably the most common e-mail I get at this point.
trueaggie2782
AG
When it's their turn to bid, bring up a calculator. j/k Really, I like the way you have it set up now, but I guess it may not be intuitive for some users.
TexasRebel
AG
What if you make the word "bid" tapable?
Philip J Fry
AG
That is how I used to have it. I think what I need to do is have an option to use that as a button vs using the wheel.

Once again, that comes down to needing a separate options window, or re-adjusting the current one to fit it in.
TexasRebel
AG
couldn't you just have both at the same time?
trueaggie2782
AG
Now i see that "Make a Bid!" does look like a button. Perhaps you can make it look like regular text, then add an actual button down below the "wheel" saying "confirm" or something of the sort.
Philip J Fry
AG
It looks like a button because it used to be a button. Every single person I ever saw try to test it out, tried to submit the bid/trump by tapping on the wheel so I changed it.

I could make it do both, and that would be the easiest thing to do, but the real problem is that folks tend to make bid selections by accident. I need to disable the wheel selection for those people.
Mathguy64
AG
You could raise the price of the app. That would keep the incredibly cheap and incurably stupid from buying it. You make more money and get less moronic "how do you bid?" emails.

And before someone rips me to shreds, it's on a touch sensitive screen on an iPad/iPhone. It should be made to move with your fingers and be intuitive. It is.

[This message has been edited by mathguy86 (edited 9/17/2012 7:14p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
I think the problem is that there are two typical customers here....

1: young college aggies who are tech savy
2: older 42 iPad players who are relatively new to the tech world

agfan2013
AG
quote:
, it's on a touch sensitive screen on an iPad/iPhone. It should be made to move with your fingers and be intuitive. It is.

That's what I said when the first person gave it a bad review for not being able to bid. It is not that difficult to figure out
Mathguy64
AG
When you get an iPad/iPhone it should be mandatory to play Osmos.
Philip J Fry
AG
Well, I'm hoping that the new touch rules I put into the beta will put an end to the accidental bids. Good grief. The next revision can't come out soon enough.
fig96
AG
I haven't played the latest beta so sorry if this has been addressed, but with the latest release version there's been a few occasions where my partner bid and then led with a suit other than his trump suit. We lost both hands because the opponent was able to play a trump on a ten count after a few plays, in this example when my partner laid the 55 on my double blank before any trump had been played (see screengrab).

I know there's occasional situations where you'll lead with an offsuit double, but in my experience it only works for one or two plays at most before backfiring. Anyone else have this issue?
agfan2013
AG
I've seen it happen (more in real life, but a few times in the game). To me its a valid play; the person who bid most likely didnt have the highest trump or two and is trying to get an opponent to use it without having to pull it out of their hand by wasting one of his lower trumps. I've seen it work and i've seen people get set after two hands, it just depends.
fig96
AG
I'm not saying it can't work and I can see the occasional use for it, but in this case you're laying a 10 count on the 4th play of the hand with no idea where any of the other trumps are.

Had he just laid off or even played the 64 I'd agree with the play more.
2006EE
AG
Are you iOS 6 ready?
agfan2013
AG
Yeah I see the issue. I agree that he should have played something else, if I'm trying to use that technique I would lay down a five count to try and get someone to bite, and that it wasn't the best play.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I haven't had a problem with it on iOS 6.
2006EE
AG
quote:
I haven't had a problem with it on iOS 6.

How do you have ios6?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
It's on the first page of the Nerdery. The iOS 6 GSM thread.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
http://mobile.texags.com/Forums/30/Topics/2150601

[This message has been edited by Lucky #007 (edited 9/18/2012 12:49p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
fig96,

Next time you run across this issue, can you flip the tiles over so I can see what else was left over? Even though it says tap to continue, it will allow you to go to the menu screen without continuing.

I'm guessing that Jay's remaining tiles are all trumps and that he doesn't have the 33. There is a bug in the code that I finally found in updating 1.1.2 where the computer would choose to play a 10 count tile instead of playing a trump tile during unforced moves. I suspect that's what is happening in this case.

That explains the 55. The other is really a strategy issue that I plan on addressing in a later release.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 9/18/2012 1:20p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.