*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

157,077 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Appreciate the input. Quite honestly, for personal reasons, i havent had time to sit down and do anything in a long time. Once I'm ready to roll out the next version, it'll have a substantial improvement in some of those AI moves as well as multiplayer, but I can't say when it will be.

quote:
Next, it appears as though the computer opponents know exactly what is in everybody's hand.

I've heard this complaint before and I'm not sure how to respond. None of the players know what each other has to a 100% certainty.
pencil
Trueag, wanna know how I know you suck at 42?

Just kidding.

Looking forward to the next version!
GaryClare
AG

[This message has been edited by GaryClare (edited 9/1/2013 10:49a).]
Seven11
AG
GaryClare, do you have a screenshot of that? Unless you're running a very old version of the game that should never happen.
LostAg
Needs "Follow me, doubles suit of their own"
Philip J Fry
AG
It already has both?
BohunkAg
AG
Just got the game tonight. Excellent!
Philip J Fry
AG
Alrighty. I'm putting a very rough version of Texas 42 2.0 out tonight on testflightapp.com.

Major changes in this beta:

1: Multiplayer....and that's it. No changes to the AI yet.

A couple things to note. I've been working on this on my own wifi network and it seems to run fine...EXCEPT for when you bid nello or tie when you are drawing lots. I haven't figured out these bugs yet, but I am aware of it so for now, someone pick the 66 and play straight 42 for testing purposes until I track down what's causing this bug.

What I'm most interested in is how the game behaves when there is a big more lag. I've seen the game freeze a couple times when I play on 3G and I've tried to account for it. There are likely tweaks that need to be made if it is a consistent problem.

You should note, this is set up as a real time game...and not turn based like ____ with friends. That may come in the future, but for now, one of the devices is the "host" device. This is the device that actually makes the AI moves and is responsible for my headaches. Right now, if the host player disconnects from the game, the game cannot continue. I'm working to figure out how to get around this.

Instead of Texas 42 Beta, you should just look for Texas 42. Multiplayer is setup through itunes connect and I did not want to clutter my account with extra programs.

Unfortunately, this does not support the iphone 5 yet. Also on my to do list.

I fully expect there to be issues with this beta release. If anyone else wants to volunteer to be a tester who has an iphone 3/4 shoot me an e-mail.
BuLi97
AG
My wife and I just discovered it and we are playing it now! Love it so far! Can't wait for online multiplayer so we can play with other friends and family!

Thanks!
pencil
Bump. Thanks
Philip J Fry
AG
Should be releasing a new beta sometime this week. I think I have a pretty good handle on how to handle players who have been disconnected from the match. I only have 1 problem left and I'm not sure there is a fix for it.

Being that the game is 2-4 players in multiplayer mode, Game Center stops looking for additional players as soon as it finds the second player when in "auto-match" mode. I'd like to to keep looking for players for another 30 seconds or so before starting the match. Otherwise, you are almost guaranteed to have a 2 player match unless you actually send an invite to someone.

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 1/21/2013 4:51p).]
ccurrie
AG
Philip, tried to PM you but TexAgs wouldn't let me. I'm an Android developer; if you'd like some help with the port, shoot me a PM.
Philip J Fry
AG
Ccurrie, that's likely because I don't have stars...which I should do something about soon.

In the meantime, shoot me an e-mail at
maroonentertainment@gmail.com.
agfan2013
AG
Just re-read most of this thread. Some good times for sure. This game has come a long way to where it is today and thanks to a dedicated developer it hasn't even reached its full potential yet.
Philip J Fry
AG
Does feel good to brush the cobwebs off the Mac and I absolutely can't wait to get back to the AI stuff.
trueaggie2782
AG
Phillip, I can't seem to find the new beta. Where do I go to find it, or is it just on iPhone.
Philip J Fry
AG
Just on the iPhone. I'm hoping to have a new iPhone and iPad beta released by the end of this week. Just have piddly stuff left to do for multiplayer at this point.
kbassil
AG
props to this developer who knows what he's doing!
97Gal
AG
Just bought the app. Can't wait to try it out!
Philip J Fry
AG
iPad users....

What iOS are you running? My iPad refused to run properly with iOS 5.1, but works perfectly fine with iOS 6.
agfan2013
AG
Ipad 3 on 6.1 and havent had a problem ever (also had it for 6.0 and 5.whatever was before 6)

on a side note. nothing scientific but when I've been playing over the last week it seems like the computer to the left is a lot more aggressive than everybody else. I've got it on normal AI (the other two are on normal as well), but it bids on probably 75% of hands and of those bids more than half are automatically 31, whether someone else bid before it or not. No pictures or any proof, and maybe it just so happens that its been getting really good hands by coincidence but just something I noticed. And I realize you havent released an update for awhile so thats what has me wondering.
Philip J Fry
AG
You aren't the first person who made that observation. I think with the last update, I moved the normal player to be more aggressive with the bidding than I would like. I actually think there is a real bug in the bidding algorithm and I suspect he may be trying to outbid himself in the process...though I haven't proved it yet.

I came very close to setting the iPad development aside completely when I ran across this latest issue. For some reason, the same code that worked fine with the iphone and ipad simulator refused to work with my actual iPad. I've spend nearly a week on the same 10 lines of code trying to make it work. I finally got it working tonight with my iOS update. All I have left for the iPad multiplayer is to move some new graphics around.

Then its off to tweak the AI in a few spots and then off to the Android.

And just because I'm excited to be so close to getting this thing published, here's the new start menu.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 2/14/2013 9:12p).]
agfan2013
AG
awesome
Bunkhouse96
AG
Love the game on my ipad, can't wait for multiplayer.
Bunkhouse96
AG
Love the game on my ipad, can't wait for multiplayer.
trueaggie2782
AG
Here are a few graphical issues that I've noticed so far with the latest beta (2.0 #2)

1. The first player to receive dominoes bids before the last player receives his dominoes.
2. When I go to bid and press the number I want, a yellow selection square shows up over the number.

Neither of these are real issues, I've just never seen the app do this before.
trueaggie2782
AG
Here is a weird bug. If you start a game and during any part of the game go to menu and then about and then go back and resume the game, you aren't able to select a bid or any dominos.

Btw, I'm running on the ipad 3 with 6.1

[This message has been edited by trueaggie2782 (edited 2/20/2013 10:12p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
You can still see the number though, right? It should almost look like you are highlighting that number. I've gotten pretty tired of answering "how do I bid" emails and thought I would try and make it a little more obvious. Did I over do it?

Interesting about the about menu. I'll check that right now. Part of the problem is that I was working on the multiplayer app parallel to the released version. I suspect I have reintroduced some old game mechanic bugs in the process if merging the multiplayer code in with the original.

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 2/20/2013 11:12p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Here is a weird bug. If you start a game and during any part of the game go to menu and then about and then go back and resume the game, you aren't able to select a bid or any dominos.

Btw, I'm running on the ipad 3 with 6.1

Stayed up way too fricken late on a work night, but I fixed it. I'll submit #3 tomorrow night.
trueaggie2782
AG
I actually like the highlighting of the number, just wasn't expecting it. I think it'll be a good feature to help people out.
Philip J Fry
AG
New iPhone and iPad Betas uploaded tonight. Here's a run-down.

1: Fixed Issue where "Fry" would bid 34-36 on an unforced 4th bid.

2. Corrected issue causing the app to stop responding to touches if you enter the "About" menu from the game scene.

3. Fixed bug preventing 2nd player of the hand from trumping in during obvious situations.

4. Added code to further tweak the punting algorithm.

5: Fixed multiplayer code so that the game scene is brought up after tapping the "multiplayer" button.
Dr. Horrible
Did you stop maintaining Texas 42 Beta as a separate release? When I updated the beta version, it overwrote my current released version, so I have the most recent beta as Texas 42, an older pre multiplayer beta as Texas 42 beta, and no current release through the store.
Philip J Fry
AG
For the time being yes. Multiplayer has to be set up in itunes connect and was not working with my beta release for some reason. I haven't been able to wrap my brain around what the issue is yet. Eventually, I'll have to work it out to keep beta testers from playing against folks who have the production version, but we are a ways away from having to deal with that.
Dr. Horrible
Ok, I'll just delete the beta version for now...
diehard14
AG
Just downloaded

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.