*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

157,064 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
sims05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How different is the coding between android and apple apps? I am assuming that it is not as easy as copy and paste and making minor tweaks.

Edited for spelling error. It seems copy and paste for spell check is not as easy as I thought.

[This message has been edited by sims05 (edited 3/25/2013 10:18a).]
sims05
AG
Double Post.

[This message has been edited by sims05 (edited 3/25/2013 10:17a).]
Philip J Fry
AG
For the most part, it will be a complete rewrite...which is why it will take me so long.
ccurrie
AG
quote:
I am assuming that it is not as easy as coy and paste and making minor tweaks.

You are correct sir.
agfan2013
AG
So I signed up for the test flight app but when I go to download the beta I can't because "this buld is not available for this device". I just recently switched to an iPhone 5 and the actual game works but I don't know why the beta won't.....
agfan2013
AG
Also had a wrong play on the actual game version.

Here Johnny should have given his partner the 5-5 and set us since the 6-3 was the highest remaining 6, but instead he decides to trump in and then play the 5-5. I guess he could have been thinking I had a trump or something like that (i didnt call trumps for this hand, my partner did) but it just seemed to be an odd play. We still lost this hand eventually.
Coin
I've had a few wrong plays where I lost a hand I shouldn't have.

Most recently I played the last trump 4-3 (3's trump), next player threw junk, my partner played the 5-0 and the last player played the 6-4. 6-4 won the hand.

I know, not great specifics just letting you know I've seen a few bugs still.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
So I signed up for the test flight app but when I go to download the beta I can't because "this buld is not available for this device". I just recently switched to an iPhone 5 and the actual game works but I don't know why the beta won't.....

What iOS are you running? I've seen that error before, but I'm not sure why you are at this point.

My guess is, you are trying to download the HD version on your phone. I may have included your UDID with the HD provisioning at some point.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 3/26/2013 11:36a).]
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Here Johnny should have given his partner the 5-5 and set us since the 6-3 was the highest remaining 6, but instead he decides to trump in and then play the 5-5. I guess he could have been thinking I had a trump or something like that (i didnt call trumps for this hand, my partner did) but it just seemed to be an odd play. We still lost this hand eventually.

And that isn't the beta version, right?

quote:
I've had a few wrong plays where I lost a hand I shouldn't have.

No doubt :-/ If you play it enough, you'll really start to notice where the holes in the logic are. I do think the next version patches a lot of those.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 3/26/2013 11:34a).]
agfan2013
AG
Running the newest version, 6.something.

Yeah that was on the game not, beta
Philip J Fry
AG
And 2.0 just went live!
agfan2013
AG
I just saw the update on the App Store and headed over here. I definitely like the new icon and menu. I don't think I'll try searching for a game just yet since everybody is probably still asleep.....
agfan2013
AG
So here's just a few thoughts after a few games:

-AI to the left has been improved, he doesn't just auto bid 31 every time now
-multiplayer menu is cool (still havent played a game since nobody else has updated)
-I like that it automatically shows what dominoes were remaining in the hands, too many times in the last version I would go to the menu to turn them face up to see what was left and would accidentally press somewhere and advance to the next hand without seeing
-as already mentioned, the new icon is slick

2 questions:
-is the new picker supposed to be more accurate or idiot proof? I noticed it flashes yellow when you make your pick now, and there were a coupled of times where I pressed down to place a bid or pick a trump and it wouldn't register and I'd have to press exactly in the center
-also I know I asked this earlier in the thread but I can't seem to find it, can the iPhone and iPad play multiplayer with each other?

As ways, keep up the good work. It's awesome to see how far the game has come.
Philip J Fry
AG
Yes. I was getting an unbelievable number of e-mails by people who didn't know how to place a bid. I've tried to make it clear what you are selecting and added a small touch length requirement so that you don't bid accidentally.

I didn't say this in the release notes, but the bid/trump picker header is now a button. You can tap that to submit your bids/trumps if you want.

And yes, you should be able to play an iPad against an iPhone...even though they are technically separate apps.

I should probably note that multiplayer will likely behave a lot better with WiFi than 3G. I don't know about you guys, but my 3G blows. It makes the game quite lagggggy/jerky, but there's only so much I can do about that.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 4/6/2013 9:41a).]
agfan2013
AG
Good to hear, I'll be on either wifi or 4G LTE so hopefully I won't see any lag then.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Just FYI, on the about page the email and discussion buttons are on the wrong lines. Running the iPhone version on my iPad.
Philip J Fry
AG
Gah.
Dr. Horrible
Gah... Never mind. Didn't look at what trumps were...

[This message has been edited by Dr. Horrible (edited 4/6/2013 7:54p).]
The Honey Badger
Whenever I click multiplayer it says multiplayer is unavailable because the player is not signed in. Anyone know how to help me with this?
Philip J Fry
AG
Sounds like you need to sign into Game Center through the Game Center app.
The Honey Badger
Got it thanks
Philip J Fry
AG
One VERY important note...

This is a live game...not turn based like ___ with friends. That means, if you leave the game for more than a few seconds (don't know the exact threshold) you'll get booted from the table.

Don't blame me. Blame apple for not supporting true multitasking :/

You can however, blame me for not figuring out how to reinvite you once you've disconnected.
Gone
Just downloaded 2.0! Trying to get more buddies involved! Thanks Fry...this game has saved me during flights and airport waits!
Philip J Fry
AG
Just out of curiousity...has anyone played a full multiplayer game yet? My wife and I play just about every night without incident, but I haven't been able to make it through a full game in the game center yet. Wondering if this is a common problem or not.
2006EE
AG
I played a full one last night. Two real players and two computer players. And it was randomly selected and worked well.
agfan2013
AG
got one game in today with a random guy. worked all the way through to the end
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:

by Corette brown

Do not like the update. Before my team won about 59% of the time. Now the opponents get 90% of the bids and make them about 75 percent of the time. About the only way my team makes points is to set the opponents. Don't mind losing but consistently 75% of the time makes me not want to play anymore. Have played for 55 years so I am not a greenhorn at 42

Interesting review. Maybe I need to go back and re-fat finger all the bug fixes I made.
2006EE
AG
Tell him to join an online game and not be seat 1.
TexasRebel
AG
They should learn to bid, or lower the difficulty.

I garuntee that is one of the little old ladies who pass on everything, then bid 30 on an 84 hand. If not, that is who they normally play against.
agfan2013
AG
quote:
Before my team won about 59% of the time

Really 59%? kind of an odd number to choose unless she literally kept a running score of who won bids.

quote:
Now the opponents get 90% of the bids

that's her fault, set your friend to aggressive to bid higher and the opponents to conservative so they bid lower amounts, and on every fourth bid you get the last bid. its not difficult to win a few more bids

quote:
Have played for 55 years

and here's your main problem, no offense to any older folks on the board, but dont complain about technology just because you dont understand it, there is a 99.9999% chance you are doing something wrong that someone more familiar with technology is doing right. Kind of like one of the first guys who reviewed this game with a bad score because he said he couldnt make a bid or pick trumps because he was to stupid to figure out how to use a scroll wheel on a touch screen.

[This message has been edited by agfan2013 (edited 4/7/2013 6:42p).]
TexasRebel
AG
I just played my first multiplayer game. My partner chickened out before the seating so I got Jay. ...damn good partner. Up 6-1 we won 7-4. I'm not sure if Jay was reading my indications, but it seemed to work out.

Two things I noticed:

Is there any provision to keep clients from playing while looking at 14? (Or 21, or 28). Both of my opponents were named xCleinx. I'm assuming husband & wife, and they were NOT cheating, but the possibility is there.

We need a ranking system. Like chess. Somehow you have to know what you are getting into. I got away with anything I consider intermediate or better, and they made beginner mistakes more often than not.

If you ever get a turn based game going, look at the chess.com setup. I think you could work with it.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Is there any provision to keep clients from playing while looking at 14? (Or 21, or 28). Both of my opponents were named xCleinx. I'm assuming husband & wife, and they were NOT cheating, but the possibility is there.

Can you explain that to me again real quick? As in keep folks in the same room from seeing each others hands?

As far as Jay goes...

Still not reading your indications, but I did completely recode how he determines what to slough and when/when not to to trump in. Before, they didn't really look at your tiles to hold on to the one's that can beat your leading one...now they do.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 4/7/2013 7:01p).]
agfan2013
AG
Had a glitch on multiplayer, I think it's pretty obvious....

Philip J Fry
AG
Ah. Stupid iPhone 5s and their stupidly long screens. Submitting a patch for this now.

It will probably take a painful week or 1.5 weeks for apple to approve.

What's really interesting about that screen shot is that game center name belongs to a close family member of mine...

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 4/7/2013 10:50p).]
SSC
Any thoughts to a quicker version. For instance we don't need to see everyone get their dominoes, and speed through bidding and others hand play.

Thanks for an awesome app

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.