*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

154,747 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by lockett93
Hudson2508
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ok, good news first. The bid now rotates correctly.

The bad news, this update made the MP less stable. We struggled to get through a match since it kept timing out or freezing. 5.1 was far more stable, so not sure what changed to cause that.

Another question. Do you think it matters if some of us are using the HD app and some the regular?

Thanks for all your help. This has been a fun outlet during the quarentine.
Philip J Fry
AG
Really? That's surprising. It's pretty simple to put it back how it was. Intuitively, this should have been better, but laws of unintended consequences rule some times.

5.1: The non-host phones can race ahead of the host once a hand is complete and begin the shuffle. This kind of behavior used to spell instability trouble.

5.2: Forces the non-host phones to wait for a signal from the host that all phones were ready to be shuffled.

So, it makes sense to me that 5.2 should be better, but I'll revert that bit of code tonigh

Alsot, it should not matter about HD and non HD.
Hudson2508
AG
Yeah, not sure why it was less stable with the update. I'd wait to see if anyone else has experience with the MP to see if it got better for them.
Philip J Fry
AG
Been playing with 5.3. I'll upload it tomorrow.
Aggieangler93
AG
I love 42. Is there an android version anymore? I'm wondering if this is the same one I used to play on the PC years and years ago?

Edit...I believe this is the same one I bought back in the 90s. I found it on amazon's app store for ANDROID here:
https://www.amazon.com/MaroonEntertainment-Texas-42/dp/B00EUY85B8
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Philip J Fry
AG
Definitely not the win42 version, but I'm flattered.
Hudson2508
AG
Did 5.3 get uploaded? Not seeing it. We are having pretty terrible problems staying connected in a MP game on 5.2.
Philip J Fry
AG
It's in the review queue now. If it doesn't get approved soon, I can always make you a beta tester and get it to you sooner.
Philip J Fry
AG
HD is approved and ready for sale. The iPhone version should be ready soon.
AGinHI
AG
I've had you're game from when you first released it-just had my boys pick it up.

It's great for learning-playing versus AI or multiplayer when mom is at work and we can't sit at the table.

One observation-when bidding two marks for splash/plunge winning awards 3 marks instead of 2.
“We don't have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. We have government of the people, by the bureaucrats, for the bureaucrats.”

-Milton Friedman
Philip J Fry
AG
I think that's how it's supposed to work? Otherwise if you bid 3 marks off the bat, you are telegraphing that you are splashing before the bid is over?
flashplayer
AG
We still are having trouble even starting a multiplayer game with just 2 people. We text the invite to each other, tap the invite, a message says "Retrieving" and opens Game Center. Then nothing happens. Any ideas?
beb06
AG
We tried playing with 4 of us a couple nights ago. We were never able to make it past a couple of hands. One time it got stuck for one person and his screen would not update, then the next 2 games we started both froze on the 'synchronizing' message on the 2nd or 3rd hands.
Philip J Fry
AG
Best advice I can give is to make sure everyone is on 5.3.

Until I can get in a game with some of you guys, I'll only be guessing at the problem.

So send me an email at maroonentertainment@gmail.com and we can try and work something out. Might be possible to use XCODE with a live app to see what's happening when it stalls.

Unfortunately, the answer has often been that the Game Center service blows. It drops connections out of the blue and doesn't offer the developer a way to bring the connection back seamlessly.
Dr. Horrible
I thought the connection issues were just us.
Philip J Fry
AG
No. It's always been systemic to a certain point from what I can tell.

I've added features in the background where it pings the server every two seconds or so just to try and maintain continuity, but I'm not sure how much it helps. It is weird though, I can usually play with my mom across country with no issues, but other times have issues with two devices in my hands. Even then, it would be sporadic. Issues one day, none the next.

I'm certain the only real way to fix it is to go to a third party server. It's just a lot of work to get that running...plus it isn't free. I've never heard complaints of MP from android users. Anyone have any experiences with it in the wild?
Hudson2508
AG
Fry, is it possible to pay you to create a private server for a small group of friends to use instead of Game Center? We have terrible problems using Game Center even after all your updates. Our group would be willing to pay extra to create something more usable.

Thanks and reach out to my username at Gmail if there's anything you can do.
Hudson2508
AG
Bump for Phillip to see.
m-walker
AG
No longer in the App Store?
Philip J Fry
AG
I let it lapse. Just didn't feel right keeping it up there when I don't the ability to manage it like I used to. I recently started porting it all over to UNITY and updating the graphics, but haven't been able to touch it in a few months. My hope was that ChatGPT could be my personal developer, but it's honestly it's honestly not there yet. Maybe v5.0 if it ever comes out can help me finish it.
lockett93
AG
I would love a new version with some of the logic fixes that have been known for a while…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.