*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

157,017 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
Quad Dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
like a 42 with friends type of game where you make a play and just wait for the next guy to play which can take a long time

What you are talking about is called asynchronous gaming. Games like Words with Friends and Draw Something use it. But I think it would be a nightmare to play a game like this that way. Waiting a few days for one to three other people to make their move. I'd forget the trumps and counts in between moves. I'd personally play against AI over waiting that long.
agfan2013
AG
quote:

What you are talking about is called asynchronous gaming. Games like Words with Friends and Draw Something use it. But I think it would be a nightmare to play a game like this that way. Waiting a few days for one to three other people to make their move. I'd forget the trumps and counts in between moves. I'd personally play against AI over waiting that long.

My thoughts exactly, I'd rather have a synchronized game where everybody is playing at the same time. But that call is PJF's.
Philip J Fry
AG
Asynchronous sounds like a terrible idea. I know I wouldn't pay to wait a couple days for the next move to be made.

The real question I have right now is...

quote:
I could never choose to bid, it always passed me. When I was given a forced bid I could not choose my trump. Now the game board has locked up on me. This app has possibilities, but still has quite a way to go. Right now I'd have to say don't waste your money.

It sure would be nice if apple gave us developers a way to respond to reviews like this. It's such a shame to go from 5 stars to 4.25 because someone didn't play around enough to figure out the bid picker.

I'll grant him the board lockup issue. He probably had a battery warning popup and didn't consider going back to the home screen to fix it. For some reason, Apple does not give you the ability to test this message on the simulator so I have to run my battery down before I can test my fix.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 7/2/2012 9:55a).]
agfan2013
AG
Yeah I read that too. How frickin hard is it to figure out how to scroll and then press? I would just add an explanation for how to pick trumps and bid in your description for the game I guess. The dumbness of people in this world amaze me sometimes.
agfan2013
AG
Also, come on Ags, if you like this game give it a good rating in the app store. I know more than 7 of y'all have downloaded it. The more people that rate it well, the more it gets noticed and downloaded which means more people for mulitplayer in the future.....and more hard-earned money in PJF's pocket
Philip J Fry
AG
iPad Retinal edition complete! Just need to test drive it a bit over the next couple days and it will be submitted to the app store.
Skubalon
Asynchronous could possibly work if there were a timeout setting after which the AI would make a play on your behalf (in other words, if you don't play in, say, 30 minutes, the game makes a play for you).

Just a thought.
3rdAggie2015
AG
I may just not know how to do it, but whenever I open the app it stops any music I'm listening to. When I click play on the music again the game froze until I exited back out. Any solutions?
Philip J Fry
AG
Yes. On my end, I need to put a mute button somewhere in the game so you can turn off the sound. The hardest part about this is the artwork.
GIGEMeh
quote:
iPad Retinal edition complete! Just need to test drive it a bit over the next couple days and it will be submitted to the app store.

Need any testing assistance on the iPad?
khkman22
AG
quote:
It is going to be compatible with iPad 2 as well, correct?
Philip J Fry
AG
Yes it is.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Dumb question for an new IPad user. If I bought the Phone version for use on the IPad, would I have to pay for the Retina version as well?
Philip J Fry
AG
That answer to that question is entirely up to how I upload it to Apple. I can make it universal, making the iPhone app size larger and risking going over the 20MB limit for no good reason, losing the ability to track iPad vs iPhone sales, let's me keep all the code in one database, and allows the user to pay only once.

Or I'll submit it as an iPad only app, where I can set the iPad price separately, track iPhone vs iPad sales, add to my presence in the app store, but require the user to buy it twice and gives me two separate codes to manage.

Both have their +/-s and I haven't fully decided on one or the other. I am leaning towards the latter at the moment because of the extra work I've had to put in to generate new graphics this week. If the iPad had the same screen aspect ratio as the iPhone, I would probably feel differently.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 7/2/2012 4:51p).]
Robert C. Christian
AG
Thanks for the explanation, never had this problem before. That said, I love the game and may be tempted to buy it again for the retina display
James09
AG
I love the game the so far! I had one issue where the game froze up after I went to the menu, but I wasn't able to reproduce it.

At the end of a hand, could you wait for a few seconds before dealing the next hand? (Maybe add a "deal next hand" button?) There were a few times when I couldn't tell exactly how a hand ended (especially when someone gets set or makes their bid before the last trick).
Crown
AG
Just purchased!
Dr. Horrible
Got a buddy of mine to buy it today...

You must have made a solid $20 off this game so far, congrats!
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
I love the game the so far! I had one issue where the game froze up after I went to the menu, but I wasn't able to reproduce it.

At the end of a hand, could you wait for a few seconds before dealing the next hand? (Maybe add a "deal next hand" button?) There were a few times when I couldn't tell exactly how a hand ended (especially when someone gets set or makes their bid before the last trick).

Pretty sure the issue is going to the menu while the bid/trump picker is up. This has been corrected in v.1.0.1. I'm going to ask Apple to expedite it.

I like the idea of adding a deal new hand button. I'll look into getting that in the next revision.
Mathguy64
AG
Had a freeze when the. 5% remaining battery warning came up on my ipad. . I will try to reproduce it by putting a small charge on it to get above 10% and then playing until the boxes come back up.
KonaAg05
AG
For the next hand button, I always like seeing what dominoes my partner had and being able to determine if I could have won or lost if I had played the hand differently. Would be a nice addition to reveal all remaining dominoes for each player before starting the next hand.

Also for the AI, my partner bid 2 marks and then proceeded to throw his 6/2 off after playing out his trumps. Didn't even get a chance to hit his doubles and force the table to hold a suit.

Otherwise I'm greatly enjoying the game.

[This message has been edited by Konaag05 (edited 7/2/2012 10:28p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Had a freeze when the. 5% remaining battery warning came up on my ipad. . I will try to reproduce it by putting a small charge on it to get above 10% and then playing until the boxes come back up.

Known issue...and annoying to debug. The game should respond if you go back to the home screen and relaunch it. I went ahead and pulled v1.0.1 to address this issue.

Kona, do you happen to remember what setting you had your partner set to? It might help me track down how it made that play. There is a randomness aspect to it though so it isn't always straight forward.

I've been noticing that the computer will bid 34 on fairly weak hands. I plan on addressing this as well with v1.0.1. The problem with moves like this is determining whether the bid itself was bad, or if it just made a bad first move. IMHO, the first move is by far the weakest aspect of the AI and is an area I will be focusing most of my attention on in future releases.

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 7/2/2012 10:36p).]
Mathguy64
AG
Yeah. Did it at a recharged 10% too. Closed it and reopened with no game loss. I would put that kind of error on the back burner if you have other things you are working on. It's a minor bug IMHO.

By the way, great job and I did post a review. Whoever did the 1star must have never played 42 before. Ether that or they have o idea what a scroll wheel is. The game is so intuitive that my wife who has to played 42 in 20 years has picked the game up and is hooked.
KonaAg05
AG
Partner is set on normal.
2006EE
AG
Just realized this was live. Bought it.
RedbeardAG
AG
Why is my partner so much more retarded than my opponents? He just bid 34, set doubles as trumps, and proceeded to play the double 5. He didn't have the double 6....

I've played almost 10 games and feel like I need to outbid my partner no matter what he bids if were gonna have a hope at winning.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Seen several things like that as well. The partner really seems to like Follow Me and Doubles Trump. And it may just be me, but personally I don't like that the computer throws the double five as a pure count domino early when it could be beneficial as a winning domino later. IE threes trumps and you play the Double Three. He has no trump and tosses the Double Five in the first trick.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I do want to say that overall I really like it. Probably just needs some more tweaking here and there now that you have a lot of people playing and running into things. Nothing I wouldn't expect from a new release though. Great job man.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Why is my partner so much more retarded than my opponents? He just bid 34, set doubles as trumps, and proceeded to play the double 5. He didn't have the double 6....

I've played almost 10 games and feel like I need to outbid my partner no matter what he bids if were gonna have a hope at winning.

I caught this too and had many beta testers tell me the same thing. It's taken me a while to figure out what was causing it. A lot of those moves should be fixed in 1.0.1

Edit: Thought about this some more and I don't believe that move is adhering to the intent of the code. When it doesn't have the high trump, it's suppose to draw out the high one by playing low. I'm wondering of I have a hole in the logic for trumps as doubles. I'll check the code tonight.

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 7/3/2012 3:29p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
I've updated the front page to start taking into account known bugs and play strategy.
cas533
Got it.. looking good... will rate today..
Dr. Horrible
quote:
And it may just be me, but personally I don't like that the computer throws the double five as a pure count domino early when it could be beneficial as a winning domino later.
Strange, I thought it was more the opposite. I think it is more of a feel thing, cause sometimes I would do that and sometimes I wouldn't.

Thinking through it, how high the bid was would definitely make a difference. Anything over 31 and I would try to throw it early to get it out of the way, but I'd hold for a 30 or 31 bid.
Philip J Fry
AG
See, I would hold it for the higher bids and toss it for the lower.

Seems like whatever code I develop for that move needs to determine how likely they are to win a trick on the future. I put some thought into it before, but could never wrap my head around how to make that decision.

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 7/3/2012 5:57p).]
Dr. Horrible
I was thinking more that going over 31 would be less likely to have a 5 off, so what would you be holding it to catch?

If for some reason I did go bigger than 31 with a 5 off, I would probably still rather my partner show it early, because even though I would have had a plan for the off, it makes the 5 a safe punt up to 36 (depending on the rest of your hand of course).

Without having a full hand to talk through, that's my thought process.
Philip J Fry
AG
Excellent point about the off. Not sure I completed my thought process before speaking.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.