*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

157,058 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
agfan2013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

It will get here soon enough. Now you know what us iOS guys went though when he first mentioned he was initially developing it.

Philip J Fry
AG
Heck, if there are any android developers out there, send me an e-mail and you might be able to help get me passed some of these growing pains.
Texaggie7nine
Dunno if this has been brought up yet. Too lazy to go through all the posts. What would be super useful, especially for our weekly 42 group, is a 42 score keeping feature. We are always forgetting to bring pen and paper.
Philip J Fry
AG
Are you talking for multiplayer? If so, that will be part of the built in game center record keeping.
Philip J Fry
AG
Also had an e-mail suggesting a pass around version of the game.

Anyone ever played an app like that? Seems like it should be fairly easy to implement.
Texaggie7nine
No I mean just a feature to keep score for real life games.
Philip J Fry
AG
Oh right. Like the built in note pad app?
Texaggie7nine
Well I use the notepad a lot for it but its a pain to keep having to move the cursor back and forth :-)
Philip J Fry
AG
I gotcha. So you want something where you can right out with your finger tips or something?

For example:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chalkboard-pro-for-ipad/id365964154?mt=8

Would be kind of a fun add on feature in the future to work on.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 9/27/2012 10:20p).]
Texaggie7nine
I was thinking more like a template of a scoreboard with us and them where you check or something to register a mark and it automatically keep up with the game score after each hand
trueaggie2782
AG
Fry, I think he means an app with two buttons, us and them. When you click us, it creates a mark. When you click them, it creates a mark. When seven marks is reached, it says winner winner chicken dinner or such. Then you can reset the marks and start over. Those marks can spell a word, make lines for aTm, etc. Seems like a simple app but I have zero iOS programming skills.
CT'97
AG
quote:
Also had an e-mail suggesting a pass around version of the game.

Anyone ever played an app like that? Seems like it should be fairly easy to implement.

My kids love playing battleship in the pass around mode. They make their play then pass the phone over, you click a check box and make your play then pass it back.

I'm glad to hear the android version is in the works. I'd love to have this on my S3.
lockett93
AG
Another interesting twist you could do would be to show what the AI would do for my hand.

This would be great for people learning how to play. You could have a hint button that suggests a bid during bidding round, and also suggests a domino during play. It would be awesome if it listed the conditions that drove it that way...

If not for training, it would certainly allow your beta users the ability to provide feedback on your AI logic.
bizzy
AG
Bug Notice:

Not sure if this has been discussed or not.

I have noticed that if I tap the screen after a hand has been won, but before the "Tap to continue" button appears, it goes to the next draw but maintains the previous draw order.

bizzy
javick82
AG
Any word on an Android version? I saw this mentioned a couple of times.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Bug Notice:

Not sure if this has been discussed or not.

I have noticed that if I tap the screen after a hand has been won, but before the "Tap to continue" button appears, it goes to the next draw but maintains the previous draw order.

bizzy

Fixed in the next release. Not sure when it will go live. It's been in review since last night.

Android: I've decided to finish off developing multiplayer for the iphone before I pick up the android project again. I'm too close to set it aside and forget everything I've learned. Right now, the Android app is about 30% done. Most of the remaining work will be copy/paste stuff, but there is a significant amount of it.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 10/1/2012 1:16p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
1.1.3 now live on the iPhone
Fuzzbutt
AG
quote:
Any word on an Android version? I saw this mentioned a couple of times.

He said that it's in work and will be released ASAP. He's running into a few headache issues and just hasn't gotten it working.
TexasRebel
AG
He did it! Jay took the first trick with the double to my trump instead of playing low!!
Texaggie7nine
So what's new in the 1.1.3?

Philip J Fry
AG
A few things off the top of my head...

Fixed that "tap to continue issue"

Updated for iOS6.

Updated for the iPhone 5 screen size (well, at least the game layer. Haven't messed with the the menus.)

Found a whole section of code that wasn't in use for Doubles play. Should make some better doubles decisions now.

There were a host of minor play errors that were improved.

One major bug that I'm shocked was in there since day 1. Philip and Fry were trumping in, but were failing to look at what the highest trump on the table was. I thought I fixed this before, but apparently not.

Fixed an issue keeping Jay and Fry from bidding 84. I had a variable turned on for debugging that I forgot to turn off when I released it.

I think that's about it.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
He said that it's in work and will be released ASAP. He's running into a few headache issues and just hasn't gotten it working.

Really it comes down to free time. It's not like I do this for a living (yet).

Football season also takes away some of my weekend time. No freakin way I'm coding while Johnny Football is playing. I'm also a lot closer to a fully working multiplayer iPhone add-on than I am getting android running.

I did actually hire someone to take care of this porting for me. Can't say its working out as quickly as I'd hoped so its looking like I'm going to have to do a lot more than I originally planned.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 10/1/2012 8:39p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
So those of you with iOS 6...

Has the app been crashing since the update? Got a couple reports that it crashes when the opponent bids 84, but I cannot repeat this crash myself.
Mathguy64
AG
I have iOS 6 on a 4S. No problems at all.
agfan2013
AG
no crashes with ios6 on my 4
Philip J Fry
AG
Agfan, since you have access to the beta, can you try completely deleting the app (both production and the beta) and reinstalling the production copy? I did find something last night, but it should have kept the bid picker from showing 1 or 2 mark bids at all.
agfan2013
AG
Sure thing. I'll hopefully have some time this afternoon and can get around to it.
Maverick06
AG
Has crashed on me twice when my partner bids 2 marks. iPhone 4 without iOS 6.
agfan2013
AG
Still looks good to me PJF. No crashes
trueaggie2782
AG
Crashed on me once in ios6. Don't recall the cause.
Philip J Fry
AG
Next time anyone sees a 1 mark+ bid by an opponent, please turn the tiles over and take a screenshot before you try to bid.

I haven't been able to see this error myself. I can force the AI to bid 84, but it works perfectly fine on my end and doesn't crash. Even when I simulate a low memory problem.
trueaggie2782
AG

Here's another fun one. I pulled out all the trumps except mine and then led my 6-5 knowing Jay had the 6-6 and 6-4. Instead of taking the trick with the 6-6 and then leading with the high 6-4, he opted to just throw the count and I could no longer lead a six to him. I was counting on him taking 1 trick so I could throw off my 5-1. Needless to say, we lost the game. :-(
Philip J Fry
AG
He wasn't playing for count there. He was defering (wrongly) to your trick since he knew nothing else would beat it.

Also, 1.1.4 just went live. I can't say for sure that this solves the crashing issue since I was never really able to replicate it, but we shall see.

1.1.3 for the iPad too. I really hope I haven't F'd something up with that release.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 10/8/2012 5:32p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
Well, it looks like my hail marry did not work after all. Still pretty stumped as to what is causing this 2 mark crash...so my request is still out there for screenshots.
Maverick06
AG
How do you get to see all the hands?

Also, I don't think I'll be able to grab a screen shot because the whole app shuts down with no warning.

Love the app though. I play every day!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.