*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

156,995 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Also I don't know if this has been addressed already on here, or how difficult it would be to program, but it would be nice if partner understood that count doesn't mean anything on mark and 2 mark hands and would hold the bigger dominoes rather than the count.

Philip J Fry
AG
It's been addressed on here, but I haven't been able to get to it yet. That will be in the next update.
Philip J Fry
AG
Added to my list formally. The next update will take longer than this one to make sure it's properly vetted. I wasn't happy with how quickly I rushed it out.

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 7/30/2012 2:27p).]
agfan2013
AG
If you want me to help beta test the new version just let me know PJF. I feel bad since I wasn't able to help on te last one.
Philip J Fry
AG
Actually, it is working afterall, but I think you have to remove the phone from memory or something before it behaves. Definitely didn't see this before and I'm not sure it's a permanent fix.

Speaking of beta version, I'll be submitting updates to my drop box folder, but the app will be named "Texas 42 beta" to avoid issues with the released version on your phones/iPads.

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 7/30/2012 9:26p).]
Texaggie7nine
Another idea, I dunno if it has come up yet. What about a practice mode. One where I can rewind plays and hands to play differently to see which would have worked the best?
Philip J Fry
AG
I did have someone suggest a practice mode once. I think it's a great idea, but I'm not sure how quickly I can get that done. It would be a big structural change to the code and that always makes me nervous.

I don't know if it will be in the next release, but there will be a tiles face up mode. That will be really easy to implement and will probably result in my email box filled with hate mail for bad AI moves. I think it will be worth it though.

Also, I just finished the AI for Player 1. Now all I need to do is add the "hint button" artwork and we'll be in business.
tony
AG
I don't know if you answered this already, but what is the split of the 2 bucks between you and apple? Best 2 bucks ive spent in a long time!
Philip J Fry
AG
Apple gets 30% off the top. Not too bad of a deal. Actually, it's an incredible amount of money when you think of how many purchases are made in a day.
TexasRebel
AG
for practice mode, you could modify the drawing algorithm. Instead of being random, you could allow the user to choose the hands. Put in an option for "create hands" or "use last".

The more difficult option (maybe to be added even later) would be to set up one hand and randomize the other three. This would be a mix of the two hand-creating solutions. This is useful if a player want to Monty Carlo a certain hand to see how often it will work.
bonfirewillburn
AG
Maybe its just circumstance

But partner seems to like punting a low 4....

We have lost 3-4 times from this.

4/0 is a bad punt with the and 6/4 still out unaccounted for

[This message has been edited by Bonfirewillburn (edited 7/31/2012 9:09a).]
Philip J Fry
AG
Does he have any other tiles he could have punted with than the 4:0? He isn't suppose to lead with an off unless he didn't have a choice otherwise. His first choice should be his least dangerous offs.
Philip J Fry
AG
Thought about this a little more. Let's say he has the 3:2 and the 4:0 left. I'm fairly certain he's going to play the 4:0. There's a bit more work I need to do with this logic, because this is a case where playing the 3:2 might be the better move.
bonfirewillburn
AG
Im not sure because it sets us everytime....showing tiles after might help....

Its punted a 5 also a few times in the last few games.....w/o knowing where the big 5 is....

I'm not trying to complain, its hard enough teaching a human who can Lear....cant imagine coding this.....
bonfirewillburn
AG
You have done an outstanding job PJF. Hats off to you!
tysker
AG
quote:
but it would be nice if partner understood that count doesn't mean anything on mark and 2 mark hands

Again, I'm sure it's been mentioned, but I find this happens with the opponents as well.

Love the app. Thanks so much for feeding my addiction.
Philip J Fry
AG
Yeah. The opponents have the same code as your partner so that isn't surprising. It's definitely something that has my attention for fixing.

Bonfire, the whole point of this thread is to have an open an honest discussion about moves you like/dislike. I think if the designer of the other app actually took the time to listen to their customers, I wouldn't have bothered with my own. No need to apologize.

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 7/31/2012 2:15p).]
bonfirewillburn
AG
"moves you like"

He does seem to catch my offs quite often! Its hard to write up moves you like caus they are expected

If it tells you anything I've barely put the game down since I got it!

Oh yea, battery warning came up last night, no issues, seamless.
bonfirewillburn
AG
Likely a MUCH later add:

What about table customization - insert your own background? Or for the love of Pete, lets get some aggie logos for the bones (who really cares about copyrights)
Hudson2508
AG
Hurry up and pay someone to code the android app....just kidding. Your work on this seems to be going great and I can't wait to try it out. One of these days I'll steal the wife's Ipad and give it a go.

Let me know if there is a way to donate some money for the Android cause, through Paypal or something similar.
thegooddoctor
quote:
Hurry up and pay someone to code the android app....

This
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Likely a MUCH later add:

What about table customization - insert your own background? Or for the love of Pete, lets get some aggie logos for the bones (who really cares about copyrights)

Already on the front page :-p

I think the way around copyrights is that I'll let you choose whatever graphics you want for the tiles. It won't be like I'm selling A&M logos or anything.
Texaggie7nine
I'm obviously lazy and haven't read the whole thread. So sorry again if this has been brought up.

The last trick of the hand, if you aren't really paying attention it just goes to the next hand saying you won or lost and you don't have time to even see what happened.

I just had a hand where I swear I trumped in but it said we got set and instantly went to the next hand and I didn't even get to see what happened.

Maybe some sort of view previous hand option.

Philip J Fry
AG
Yeah, that last hand goes fast. I think this is on the front page. It's a common request that I need to get on the ball with coding.

And I should say, any miscalculation of winners is an absolute "stop what I'm doing and fix this" showstopper. I don't care (well I do) how bad the AI is as long as it doesn't cheat (renege) or incorrectly calculate the winner. As long as it does both of those, I can sleep well.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 7/31/2012 8:08p).]
Philip J Fry
AG

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 7/31/2012 8:05p).]
AggieSportsGuy
AG
Congrats
TexasRebel
AG
Whole
Leigh
Cheat
Agmechanic
AG
Yes plz. then need 4 player game
agfan2013
agfan2013
agfan2013
agfan2013
Philip J Fry
AG
Just a proof of concept so far. The final release will be 2-4 player. And yes, I broke down and paid for a talented developer to bust this out for me because the learning curve was just too high for me at the moment. According to the schedule, it will be completed in about a week.
bonfirewillburn
AG
Is the AI weighted to go "follow me" more?

It just seems like it happens way more here than normal?

Any hints/spoilers on the multiplayer game play??

AG
I'm sure the bidding algorithm could use some tweaking. It is in no way an exact science.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.