*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

157,009 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did you download the iPhone app or the iPad app?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I've had both on it. Deleted the iPhone version when the iPad version came out.
Philip J Fry
AG
Great. I would have been shocked if you told me otherwise. I'd say that pretty much covers it.
TexasRebel
AG
I'm collecting screenshots now that I can see what the AI is attempting to do.

Hopefully I can do a write up on them all, but a summary is:

Bidding too low often (+1 instead of 84), and strange logic in first leads.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I want video of these people that can't work the wheel so I can see what spastic thing they're doing that makes it not work.
Philip J Fry
AG
I've seen my grandmother try it. She was just trying to flick it with her fingernail or something.

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 8/14/2012 6:48a).]
agfan2013
AG
I've for a few screens for you as well PJF. As for the nello option, we may need some sort of cheat to get it more often to test it. Through the few games I've played I've only been forced on a bid twice so I don't know how much feedback I can give you on it.
Philip J Fry
AG
I can do that pretty easily if you want to focus entirely on that.
agfan2013
AG
Yeah, whatever works for you. Like I said I haven't seem too much trouble with the normal AI (3 screenshots as of now) and if you want some one to look at nello heavily I think that would be a good way of doing it.
Philip J Fry
AG
I've been so mentally drained this weekend, the most I can do us just stare blankly at the code. I'll try to get something put together in the next couple days. This will include a button to make everyone pass and some code that I've been meaning to write for weeks that I haven't gotten around to for whatever reason.
agfan2013
AG
Sounds good. Take your time.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Going to give it a whirl. Thanks for all the work you are putting into this.

----------------------------------------------------------
America's destiny is not of our own choosing. We did not seek nor did we provoke an assault on our freedom and our way of life. We did not expect nor did we invite a confrontation with evil. Yet the true measure of a people's strength is how they rise to master that moment when it does arrive.
Philip J Fry
AG
Great! Definitely a work in progress. Let me know if you can't get the picker wheels to work.
Oh Four Five
AG
Had a hand this morning that made me scratch my head. 35 bid from Philip. 6's as trumps. Leads 6:6 and pulls a trump from everybody (6:3, 6:1, 6:2). Then 1:1 followed by 6:4, 6:0, then 6:5. Why would he not play the 6:5 to start instead of the 6:4? He had his partner confused too as fry threw crap on the 6:4 followed by the 5:5 and 3:2 once he realized there weren't any more trumps out.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Didn't really matter from the sounds of it. Seems like at that point it was a laydown anyway unless I'm reading it wrong.
Philip J Fry
AG
Yeah, not sure what your other tiles were but I'd say that's a case of "should have bid 84".

Regardless, Fry should have known that Philip had the 65 otherwise he wouldn't have lead with the 64. Great proof, btw, that the AI really doesn't know what each other has.

What I would have preferred to see is Philip play the 60 to go fishing. He isn't smart enough to do that yet, but I plan to add that code eventually.

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 8/8/2012 8:04a).]
Oh Four Five
AG
Definitely didn't matter at that point. They made their bid before I could see the other 2 dominoes, so I don't know if it should have been a 2 mark bid or not. Just thought it was an odd play.
Gone
Just bought...can't wait to play!
Gone
Might have already been discussed, but are there any plans to make this a multi-player online game? I have some buds that used to play all the time but we are all in different cities now. Would be bad action to be able to play them...
Philip J Fry
AG
Yes, it is being developed right now. I'm hoping to have it in beta testing in a couple weeks.
Philip J Fry
AG
Dan, I realized I never really answered your question. Part of the first move code looks to see if it's safe to play the 64. If it is, it will choose to play it ahead of the 65...can't say I really envisioned this scenario though when I
wrote it.
Philip J Fry
AG
So multiplayer may be ready for beta testing soon and I think I'm going to need some more volunteers. Email me at

maroonentertainment@gmail.com if you are interested.
agfan2013
AG
Speaking of multiplayer PJF I was wondering how is multiplayer going to work: is it only iPhone to iPhone and iPad to iPad or will they be able to play with each other even though they are different apps?

P.S. I'll send you the 1.1 feedback tomorrow or Saturday

[This message has been edited by agfan2013 (edited 8/9/2012 11:20p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
iPad users should be able to play iPhone users if it's set up correctly.

Make sure you are using the version I sent out last night, or whenever it was. There is still an error in Philips code where he plays his smallest double instead of his highest even when he knows he's going to win. I've fixed it.

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 8/9/2012 11:30p).]
agfan2013
AG
Cool
Philip J Fry
AG
At this point, I have to decide whether or go ahead and release 1.1 now and then release a 2.0 with multiplayer, or wait for the multiplayer kinks to be worked out and submit them together.

I do think the app name will change to "Texas 42 with Partners" once multiplayer is online though.
Dr. Horrible
This may be for version 5.3 or something, but a local multiplayer using multiple iPhones to hold your donimos and the iPad as playing surface would be pretty awesome. Similar to how the scrabble ap is set up.

Looking forward to testing multiplayer.
agfan2013
AG
Got caught in a round of golf and a graduation party so I'll get the evaluation to you tomorrow PJF. Although I have to say, for your first nello code, I've been really impressed so far. I've caught a few things but it's already functional. As always, keep up the good work!
Philip J Fry
AG
You just named the two things more important than writing beta test reports.

I finally sat down today and developed some code that lets me replay hands. I have no idea why I didn't do this about 7 months ago.

I also think I have my hands around some of these low bids. I should be submitting 1.1 to the app store sometime tomorrow. Then I'll start focusing my attention of completing multiplayer. It works alright for 2 players now though there are some timing kinks that need to be worked out. Then, maybe...just maybe, I'll sit down and start learning java. Spoke with a freelance developer and he seemed to think he could bust it out in a few weeks. I'm not convinced I want to pay for it though.
Philip J Fry
AG
V1.1 for the iPhone submitted. Here's a quick rundown of the update.

Nello is here! But only for human players for now. I don't want your partner bidding 84 on low hands yet until I get significant testing in with the bidding strategy. Other updates include:

1: I do think I really fixed the sound issue now. Make sure you can play your iPod music in the background while you play. It works fine on my phone.
2: Fixed an issue with the keyboard not disappearing when entering your name on the initial options menu.
3. Fixed (I think) an issue where the AI would hold on to tiles with count and lose them anyway instead of holding the high trump tile.
4. Added code preventing AI from playing for count when their partner is winning during a 42+ bid.
5. Added code which tells the AI to play its high tile/trump in cases where its partner lead the hand with a lower tile.
6. Added option to let users play with all tiles face up. I was tempted to add a disclaimer that the users not e-mail me AI complaints now that they can see what the computer hands look like.
7. Drawing lots now correctly places the winner as the last to bid.
8. A lot of folks complained they couldn't look at the remaining hand when their bid was made/set. Now a message pops up that says "Tap to continue".
9. Had some reports that the game didn't always calculate the right winner. I'm not sure if this is really true or if it just moved too fast to see. I went ahead and tweaked the trick winner calculation anyway. I suspect this was a "it happened so fast, I didn't really see what happened" type thing.

I'll be sending the iPad update later today or tomorrow.
Gone
Philip J Fry
AG
*********Attention ANDROID USERS************

Can I get a run down of the kinds of phone you guys are using? It would help me identify which ones I should focus on to start with.
Hudson2508
AG
Galaxy SII Skyrocket here. Also have a Nook Color which is what I would be playing it on most of the time.

Do you really have to develop android apps for every different phone or is it based on screen resolutions? I've always wondered if the apps I run on my Nook are any different than the phone versions.
Philip J Fry
AG
If its just a different resolution, it isn't a big deal but different aspect ratios will require me to code and make sprites specially for each phone.
Fido04
AG
Galaxy S

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.