*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

157,068 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's an option to turn over the tiles in the options menu.

I have been able to recreate the crash now though, but the CAUSE is thoroughly confusing to me. The line of code that is crashing is the code that brings the bid label to the top layer. This is the exact code that I use when you bid 30. So as of right now, it make ZERO sense to me.

I did determine that it's definitely an iOS 6/Xcode 4.5 issue.

[This message has been edited by Philip J fry (edited 10/9/2012 10:11p).]
Fuzzbutt
AG
programming never makes any sense until you figure it out. Then it's obvious.
Philip J Fry
AG
Well, I believe I've fixed it, despite not understanding how it was happening to begin with and totally not understanding why the fixed fixed it.

I'll submit a new update tomorrow.
TexasRebel
AG
Indexing issue?
Philip J Fry
AG
No, I don't think so. I think it was something structural...

quote:

if (int_array_currentmove_player[int_player_counter]==2)
{ [self schedule: @selector(player2Bid) interval:1.5];}

if (int_array_currentmove_player[int_player_counter]==3)

{ [self schedule: @selector(player3Bid) interval:1.5];}

if (int_array_currentmove_player[int_player_counter]==4)
{ [self schedule: @selector(player4Bid) interval:1.5];}

if (int_player_counter==4)
{
int_player_counter=0;
[self schedule: @selector(determineBidWinner) interval:1];
}

Became:

quote:
if (int_player_counter==4)
{
int_player_counter=0;
[self schedule: @selector(determineBidWinner) interval:1];
}

if (int_array_currentmove_player[int_player_counter]==2)
{ [self schedule: @selector(player2Bid) interval:1.5];}

else if (int_array_currentmove_player[int_player_counter]==3)

{ [self schedule: @selector(player3Bid) interval:1.5];}

else if (int_array_currentmove_player[int_player_counter]==4)
{ [self schedule: @selector(player4Bid) interval:1.5];}

I don't really see how this change does anything.

I also moved

quote:
[self reorderChild:_player1actionlabel z:1];
[self reorderChild:_player1actionlabelbackground z:0];

To the top of the method. It was near the bottom. The only thing between the top and the bottom are if statements that define the local string variable for _player1actionlabel, but I am 100% certain the issue is related to the memory allocation for both _player1actionlabel and _player1actionlabelbackground.

There are 2 settings you can use when you're building your app...Debug mode, and Release mode. I think the modes are self explanatory. What I think was happening is whatever was causing this crash was based solely on the speed of the code being executed. When I would test this bug out on the phone, I was using Debug mode so I could step line by line....but I was never able to make it crash. I'm guessing Debug mode slowed things down just enough to not cause a conflict with _player1actionlabel/_player1actionlabelbackground. I'm guessing something similar was happening with iOS 5/iOS 6 and SDK 4.3/4.5. Even running the code in release mode using the Xcode simulator failed to produce this crash. So whatever it was, is based entirely on the performance of the device....i think.

Definitely a learning experience on my part. Can't say I enjoyed it.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 10/10/2012 7:51a).]
jstusmith
AG
Need the option when going straight up nello to call doubles are high or low. Also need sevens, splash and plunge and multiplayer. Are you planning on adding the nello doubles are high or low?
outlaw08
AG
Splash and plunge are there just have to be forced by a 2 mark bid before hand (and the way I've always played) to this day I've only talked to 3-4 people who actually understand 7s. Low double low would be nice and something he said he was going to implement but guessing this bug he encountered has prevented that to date.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Need the option when going straight up nello to call doubles are high or low. Also need sevens, splash and plunge and multiplayer. Are you planning on adding the nello doubles are high or low?

I'll get right on that. :-p

Consider me one who doesn't understand Sevens. Someone will have to explain the rules to me sometime.

Doubles high for Nello? Is that not already in the game? If you play Nello Follow Me, Doubles act as the high tile in the suit. If you play Nello Doubles, its Doubles as their own suit. I can see why there is confusion. I'll work to change how those trump tiles are labeled sometime in the future.

Multiplayer has had my full attention for a couple weeks now. I diverted back to the released version last night to finally tackle this stupid iOS induced crash.
Oh Four Five
AG
7s sucks. Spend your time elsewhere, like an Android implementation.
agfan2013
AG
Sevens
TexasRebel
AG
7s is linear play. No options. As far as programming goes it would be cake.

Each person plays their closest to 7. First one closest wins.

If you include 7s. Just make the computer show the table who wins.
Philip J Fry
AG
So you follow suit just like normal, but try to play a tile whose pips add up to 7?
abileneag09
AG
Sevens sucks, agreed. However, here’s a basic explanation (it’s easier to explain with dominoes in front of me)

There is no suit in Sevens. It’s all about playing dominoes that add up to 7, or as close as you can get to that.
Example: If I win the bid in Sevens, then I start play with either the 4-3, 5-2, or 6-1. Everyone then has to play the domino that is closest to adding up to 7. You’re not allowed to play small dominoes (such as the 0-0 or 0-1, etc.) in an attempt to keep the big dominoes. Since the rules of the game dictate what dominoes you have to play, there’s zero strategy involved and therefore it’s pretty boring and generally not considered a true 42 game.

Round 1
Player 1: 6-1
Player 2: 5-1
Player 3: 4-1
Player 4: 3-3

Round 2
4-3
4-2
5-0
5-4

Round 3
5-2
3-2
3-1
6-3

Round 4
6-0
5-5
2-2
2-3

etc. Don’t feel like typing the rest out but that’s the sequence of play.
abileneag09
AG
On a different note, this is the first time I clicked over here and saw this thread. I'm an android user, and am very excited about getting this app when it comes out! Wish I was a programmer so I could help you get it running sooner!
Philip J Fry
AG
So do I.

So who wins when the 52 61 and 43 are all on the table?
abileneag09
AG
It's all about what's played first. If I'm first and I play the 5-2, then it will beat both the 4-3 and the 6-1. But if I play the 5-1 then any of the "7" dominoes will beat it.
Philip J Fry
AG
So the tie goes to the earliest tile laid down? Wow. I'm tempted to leave Sevens out just to keep some semblance of 42 purity.

[This message has been edited by Philip J fry (edited 10/10/2012 4:39p).]
abileneag09
AG
Nobody I play with plays sevens. If you feel like adding it then go for it, but I think we can all agree the Android app is more important!
trueaggie2782
AG

This scenario has just been grinding my gears. Jay has the final trump and the highest (or double) of his walking suit. Instead of trumping in, he throws his walker suit off. This allows fry to throw count and costs us the game. I can't count on one hand how many times this has happened in the past hour.

<insert frustrated emoticon>
Philip J Fry
AG
Gonna have to live with it for the time being. I won't be making an update to the AI until after multiplayer is in beta testing.

I am cataloging all the moves I need to make changes to though. Just can't get to it get though.
TexasRebel
AG
if you get P2P2P2P multi-player working most of the AI woes will all but be forgotten. It'll push players to play real people over bots.
Philip J Fry
AG
I agree. I'm finishing up the two player code now. I think I'll start testing 3 devices this weekend. I'm guessing it will be ready for beta testing by the end of the month...which means I'll need a LOT more testers.
Maverick06
AG
Crashed again when my partner bid 2 marks. Before I could grab a screen shot.
Philip J Fry
AG
I believe I've tracked down that problem. I expect the update to go through on the next 2-5 days.
HtownAg92
AG
quote:
Doubles high for Nello? Is that not already in the game? If you play Nello Follow Me, Doubles act as the high tile in the suit. If you play Nello Doubles, its Doubles as their own suit. I can see why there is confusion. I'll work to change how those trump tiles are labeled sometime in the future.

No, I believe he means that the double acts as the lowest tile for the suit.

Thus, in Nello, the 6-6 will "beat" (stay below) the 6-0.a Conversely, the 6-6 will set the 6-0.
Philip J Fry
AG
That would be Doubles Low, would it not?
HtownAg92
AG
Yes.

I'm sorry if I missed it already being there. What I see is "Nello: Doubles" (doubles as their own suit) and "Nello: Follow Me", which would seem to be doubles high.
Philip J Fry
AG
Right. That's why I was confused about him asking me to include doubles high...being that its already in there.
Philip J Fry
AG
1.1.5 for the iPhone is now live.

All this does is fix the 2 mark crash thing.
lockett93
AG
I haven't gotten any notices to update the beta, which may now be behind the iPhone version?
Philip J Fry
AG
The iPad beta version is still ahead of its release, but not the iPhone.
Maverick06
AG
Finally got a screen shot. You want me to email it to you?
Philip J Fry
AG
Unless it came from 1.1.5 and still crashed, I think I'm good.

Have you updated your app yet (assuming you're on the iPhone)
adamg14
AG
just bought this app yesterday. I'm not much of a 42 player, I know the rules just not good on strategy. I am enjoying it, spent most of my time in one of my lectures today playing around on it. I'm worse than I thought can't even beat the damn computer. Great job though! Can't wait for multiplayer
Dr. Horrible
Interesting, I stopped getting emails from the test flight app, so I haven't been updating the beta even though you've released new versions.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.