*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

157,042 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
trueaggie2782
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Btw, no crashes yet on newest beta on iOS 6
stchamps2
Thanks for your prompt reply. I really enjoy playing the game and am recommending it to my friends who have ipads. Multiplayer would be fun, especially to play with friends I don't see often. I will take a screen shot next time, but I was so mad at my partner like in a regular game I didn't think to do that. Hope all goes well. Good Luck!
TexasRebel
AG
to be fair... your bid cost the 2 marks.

That hand does make 35 all day long...
trueaggie2782
AG
With a competent partner, that bid will make 7 marks all day.
TexasRebel
AG
unless your partner doesn't have the 22...
trueaggie2782
AG
I took a risk. He had it. He played incorrectly. Sometimes you have to rely on your partner to have a domino.
Philip J Fry
AG
Interesting. Jay obviously thinks its more important to have the roach than the 22. I'll sit down some point tonight and see if I can figure out why.
2006EE
AG
I will hold the roach to make a who ever has the 11 keep it in hopes that they trow something that could set us.

It's hard to know. It's easy to say what should have happened while looking at all the tiles. But what if holding the roach had saved you? I think it should be based on their setting.

[This message has been edited by 2006EE (edited 9/20/2012 12:38p).]
TexasRebel
AG
Holding the roach cannot save you there.

You either hold 11 10 which are both useless... Or 11 22. Where the 2 can still catch a trick. Since it is no-trump the 11 walks.
Philip J Fry
AG
Yeah. Playing the roach would have definitely been the right move here. I can see an argument in other cases, but not this one.

I also noticed this was the first move that was unforced. I'll freely admit that I need more code to handle unforced moves like this.
2006EE
AG
I understand but you say that looking at all tiles.

I sometimes hold the roach hoping an opponent has to pick between holding the 11 and an rock that can set my partner. It's a gamble I know but all of 42 is.

More times than not I have someone throw something that would have won and hold the 11 thinking we are trying to walk the roach.

Just saying it's a tactic.
Oh Four Five
AG
It is, except it doesn't really work when you're the one holding the double 1...
trueaggie2782
AG

Here's another fun one for you. I am playing a few hands with tiles up to see how the computer plays. My partner had 4 5s (3 of which were high) and 3 doubles but only bid 31. This is always a 2 mark hand, so I bid 2 marks and went in 5s to see how my partner would react. I threw the 3-2 knowing my partner would trump in and our opponents would have to follow suit. My partner hit with a 5-5. However, instead of pulling the rest of the trumps out, he played all his doubles. Obviously on his final double, one of our opponents was able to trump in.
jbeaman88
AG
I haven't been to the Nerdery in awhile so just read through this whole thread and have to say it's pretty amazing due to multiple reasons.

- Great insight into the development/refinement process of an Itunes app from the viewpoint of the coder and several beta testers and users.
- On top of that, its subject is an Aggie developed app for the most popular Aggie game and the love of that game is the primary driver for writing the app.
- Interesting game strategy/philosophy discussion resulting from troubleshooting the app.

Reading through and seeing some of the screenshots, I have a somewhat Aggie 42 related question regarding tallying the 7 marks. Did anyone else while at A&M or elsewhere keep score by first drawing in the T on the ATM logo, then keeping score by adding one mark at a time in completing the A and the M? So the winner has a completed ATM symbol. If so, that might be part of an optional Aggie related theme with appropriate tabletop and domino markings. Or you may prefer a completely seperate app with the Aggie theme.
Philip J Fry
AG
You know, I modified the first play code a while back to help with this sort of thing, but I only modified the part that assumes that the AI was the one that made that bid. I honestly didn't think of a case like this at the time. As far as the bid goes...totally a 2 mark hand. I've dialed back the bidding agressiveness quite a bit in this release and this is a bi-product. I am a little surprised it didn't at least bid 35 though.

Sounds like the groundwork for plundge and splash.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 9/20/2012 5:10p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
At some point in the (distant?) future, I plan on adding in some customizations. I know a lot of folks use

ALL
SEX
ATM
SFA

etc instead of tally marks. Feel free to list any others that I might have missed.
TexasRebel
AG
numbers
trueaggie2782
AG
Well at least you know the conservative setting works, lol. I've been playing tiles up because I'm curious how the ai will "think" in different situations. It's funny because we used to play with a guy that would bid high, call trumps, and have none in his hand. Needless to say, he didn't win very much.
2006EE
AG
quote:
It is, except it doesn't really work when you're the one holding the double 1...

Yeah. Didn't see that. Carry on.
Philip J Fry
AG

One trueag issue down...

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 9/20/2012 9:17p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
iPhone 5 beta is ready for anyone who wants it.
2006EE
AG
quote:
iPhone 5 beta is ready for anyone who wants it.

Does it come with the iPhone 5?
Philip J Fry
AG
No, but it comes with extra iPhone 5 graphics that you can't see.

Also did find another bit of code that needed tweaking which will be in there as well.

I take it still no crashes with the iOS 6 beta?
2006EE
AG
Not yet. I played several games with the iPad yesterday. I haven't spent much time on the iPhone since upgrading.
trueaggie2782
AG
Played the beta on iOS 6 for a substantial amount of time today without even a hint of a crash.
agfan2013
AG
Working on my iPhone 4 with iOS 6
capn-mac
quote:
Feel free to list any others that I might have missed

B.O.N.F.I.R.E.

also

R(eady) A(im) F(ire) B(oom) R(eload) G(ig'em) A(gs)

also (very old)

SMTWDFS (days of the week)
trueaggie2782
AG
One thing I noticed is that if I call trumps, and my first trump thrown is low, my opponent will almost always trump lower instead of taking the trick. I would say this has cost me 10 or so hands already because the opponents always trump higher. I'll take a screenshot next time this happens.
Philip J Fry
AG
Yeah, if your partner does not play his high trump in that case, let me know. He is coded to throw out his highest trump in that case so something might be slipping through the cracks.
trueaggie2782
AG

I led 6-1, partner played 6-0. This situation didn't bother me too much because we both had all the trumps.
Philip J Fry
AG
Hmmmmmm.

Something is off there. As far as Jay knows, Fry has the 66 and should be obligated to play his high 6 for this move. Sounds like he isn't recognizing that Fry could win this trick or something.
TexasRebel
AG
I actually don't mind that particular one too much... although Jay does have a good lead which he should have won the first trick and gone with.

Since you bid in 6s and led low, a very valid assumption is that you have the 64. If I'm your partner, and I have 65 63 62 60, I might assume that you have three, but I will rely on you having at least two.

Knowing you have the 64, that makes 65 63 62 all equal on the first trick with the 60 just lowly. By playing 61 and Philip not playing a trump, I now know where six of the seven trumps are... and the missing one is the 66. If Fry has a trump, it beats mine, so why waste a high one?

I can argue both ways for taking this first trick... While the 33 looks good, that 53 does not... unless a low 3 happens to lead. Jay also knows he has the most trumps on the table in a hand he did not win the bid, so staying out of the lead for a bit is a good thing... He can either leave it with you, or let Fry take it and play last.
Philip J Fry
AG
And that's exactly what Jay is thinking (that his partner has the 46, but not the 66). The problem is that I thought I told him to play the high tile anyway in this situation. I'm happy with the result, but it bothers me a bit that he did something unexpected.
lockett93
AG
I'd have played the 6-2. It is the same value as the 6-0 but if by chance I win, I'd have a double to lead for my partner.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I didn't get a screenshot earlier but I would swear the fry won the bid, doubles trump, played the 66, I wasn't paying attention and played the 64 thinking 6s were trumps and it gave me the hand with the other players playing doubles as trump.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.