*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

157,078 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
2006EE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I don't think the "i" stands for intelligent. "intelligent pod?"

It was a joke.
Oh Four Five
AG
Lucky, I've had similar plays happen to me, too.

I also had a hand where my partner had the 4 high trumps and I had the other 3. He went ahead and pulled all of mine before playing his offs.

Another one where he trumped a penny instead of sloughing a 5-off which he promptly led and lost to the double.
Philip J Fry
AG
Interesting. Once 1.1 comes out, you'll be able to play tiles face up at any point in the hand and I've added a message that pauses before resuming to the next hand.

I also created some code that lets me replay specific hands. I think all of this combined will help me get to the bottom of this play. I've tried to restrict the AI from trumping in on an unforced play to certain situations, but it sounds like I've still missed something.
fta09
AG
Razr Maxx here
Helmet2Helmet
Pantech burst
Fuzzbutt
AG
quote:
quote:

It was a joke.

I think it actually stands for idiot
2006EE
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

It was a joke.

I think it actually stands for idiot

I'm rubber you're glue...
Fuzzbutt
Philip J Fry
AG
The i stands for "Internet". Duuuh. You know, because the iPod was created for surfing the web and all.
Philip J Fry
AG
iPhone v1.1 should be live in a few minutes. Still waiting on the iPad.
agfan2013
RoyIII_Ag08
AG
Atrix 1!
Mathguy64
AG
Just got 1.1 and three hands in it bid 2 marks (opening bid at that) in 6's. Without the 6-6. First round it tossed the 6-3.
Philip J Fry
AG
GD!

Philip J Fry
AG
If you see a bid like that, switch to tiles up play and send me a screen shot please.
Mathguy64
AG
In hindsight, it plays just like me after 3 or 4 shots of bourbon. Kind of felt like college all over again.
Philip J Fry
AG
Haha, well I can't say that was what I was going for!
TexasRebel
AG
Sounds like there should be a "drunk" setting in the options.
Philip J Fry
AG
I think that's the default.
wee_ag
AG
Last seven posts are gold!
Philip J Fry
AG
As much crying as I do about the android, one thing that I really like about it is how quickly I can submit updates once it's up and running. No 10-14 day wait.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Here's one. I forgot to change to tiles up after it so I don't have much info. Partner goes 2 marks. We only needed one mark to win. Partner calls 4s trumps. Leads 4-0. Phillip plays 4-4. We're set on the first trick.
Philip J Fry
AG
Ah... Two problems I need to add to my list.

1: Don't bid 2 marks when you are 1 mark away from winning.
2: Need a hard look at how it's coming up with that kind of hand when it doesn't have the bull. I think I know what's happening, but I really need a screen shot to confirm.
TexasRebel
AG
I had a few instances of getting away with being 3 deep because the opponents gave up the high trump to hold count... just to lose count and any possibility of taking a trick.

I know you've addressed this, but it keeps showing up
Philip J Fry
AG
Funny. I can play game after game myself while I'm coding and never see a play like that and then have it happen right off the bat to a paying customer.
TexasRebel
AG
paid with algorithms that seem to not work.
Philip J Fry
AG
That must be it. I'm sure all of these moves go away as soon as I drop the price to zero.
Philip J Fry
AG

Have this "Want to get away" voice repeating in the back of my head for some reason.
Philip J Fry
AG
And with 6 lines of code, the computer will no longer bid anything higher than 36 if it does not have the bull. Submitting 1.1.1 to the app store now.
sjagwhoop
AG
Can't wait for the update. Still nice to have a 42 game finally. Appreciate all the work sir.
Jacqueaux
Has the iPad version been updated with nello? I have not been prompted to,updat, nor is th app in th store show that it has been updated? Fantastic app btw.
Jacqueaux
I see your earlier post, that you are still waiting or ppt oval for the updated iPad version. Hope it's soon.
Philip J Fry
AG
The code for the iPad has been updated, but apple hasn't approved it yet. Odd because I submitted it within minutes of the iPhone app....so it should be ready soon.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
My step dad got a shot of the opponents doing it.

Philip J Fry
AG
Yeah, that's exactly what I thought was happening.

One of the complaints when I first allowed the beta testers to see the tiles was that it was missing 84 bids when it clearly had a lay down hand. I found a couple issues with the algorithm where it wasn't actually taking credit for the number of trumps and doubles it has. The original algorithm I developed in my excel spreadsheet did exactly that. The problem is that the number of trumps and doubles the computer has is overpowering the penalty I have for not holding the bull.

I fixed this last night and already submitted it to the store. If the computer thinks it should bid 84, it will look to see if it has the bull. If it doesn't, back to 35 it goes.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 8/29/2012 10:19a).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.