*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

157,059 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
whiskey02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would buy it for Android if it was multiplayer.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:
1: This is the iphone verison, right?
2: Do you know what your house rules are?
3: Do you remember Philip's bid?

1. Sorry, forgot to say this was droid.
2. House rules are default.
3. Pretty sure Phillip passed.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
1. Sorry, forgot to say this was droid.

I'm going to need to figure out a way to make that obvious from the playing table. I'll try and get to it soon.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:
I'm going to need to figure out a way to make that obvious from the playing table. I'll try and get to it soon.

Maybe a function to get the version of code they are running, and overlay it in the bottom left just a few shades of green different?
Philip J Fry
AG
Exactly where I was thinking of putting it. Under the future "hint" button.
lockett93
AG
I'd like a button that tells me what the computer would bid on my hand.
TexasRebel
AG
I'm guessing that'll be part of the aforementioned hint button?
Philip J Fry
AG
I'm going to add my label on the playing and add an auto-draw button in this release. I'm already 90% done. 2.2 will have the hint button...and other AI improvements.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:
I'm going to add my label on the playing and add an auto-draw button in this release. I'm already 90% done. 2.2 will have the hint button...and other AI improvements.

Will this be iPhone only?
Philip J Fry
AG
No, but I suspect the iPhone beta testers will get it first.
Philip J Fry
AG
Alright. ios 2.1.3 beta has been released. No changes to the AI yet, but I have added the autodeal button and the game version on the playing table.

I've also painstakingly converted my individual sprites to sprite sheets like I should have ages ago. That means there's a fairly good chance I've broken something...if everything checks out with the beta testers, I'll release it in a couple days.

Then it's on to the AI for both android and ios...then maybe multiplayer for the androids.
schmellba99
AG
Is there not a nello, doubles are low option for Android? I have force nello on, but all i can do is doubles are trumps or follow me, neither of which I want.
Philip J Fry
AG
No doubles low yet for either platform.
Philip J Fry
AG
One of the last betas for 2.1.3 is about to be released. As long as I don't get any crashes or illegal moves with this version, I will be releasing it to the app store this weekend.

EDIT: I should note that I re-did all the paper work crap to get the beta renamed Texas42 Beta so you can now install both the production and beta versions at once.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 11/1/2013 7:15p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
2.1.3 now live in the App Store.
bthotugigem05
AG
I think it's been mentioned earlier, but are there plans to improve teammate AI when splashing or plunging? It's playing very poorly.
Philip J Fry
AG
I think now that I can relax a bit now that I've made everyone happy with the game mechanics, I can focus a little more on AI in general.
bthotugigem05
AG
Please don't take that as a criticism, btw, I absolutely love the app, it's changed my pooing life, and has also helped lead to two daily 42 games in our company cafeteria at lunch.
Philip J Fry
AG
Nah. I've been doing this too long to take anything too personally.
kbassil
AG
If anybody wants to hear an interview with Phillip J Fry, check out our latest podcast (#6).

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/never-game-alone-episode-3/id719880460?i=168990345&mt=2

[This message has been edited by kbassil (edited 11/13/2013 1:28p).]
wee_ag
AG
Good interview!
DrQuincy
AG
Reppin' the HOWDY! Good bull...

pencil
So how does this multiplayer auto match work?
Capt. America
AG
Very nice app man! I'm enjoying it
BuLi97
AG
Hey man, we've been enjoying all the improvements to this release! Lots of good stuff there!

Wanted to report a bug we saw though. My wife and I were playing multiplayer as partners with computer as our opponents. She bid a plunge, I called the trumps. We played out the hand and we won the bid. Before the plunge hand we were tied 2-2. After we won the plunge hand, my screen correctly showed the score at 6-2. Her screen incorrectly showed the score as 3-2 (it acted as if we only got 1 mark for the plunge hand). After we won the next hand, mine indicated we won the match while hers was still at 4-2, and at that point we were out of sync. I had initially invited her to join me, if that makes a difference.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
So how does this multiplayer auto match work?

Very poorly thanks to apple's black box. You have a very small window to find more than 1 player at a time. Unless there are 2-3 people hitting auto match within a few seconds of each other, the game will generally start with just 2. No real way around it unfortunately.

And nuts to the plunge bug. I'll make sure it's fixed in the next release. Hoping to have it ready in a couple weeks.
1208HawkTree
AG
One AI suggestion. Example - my partner is holding 5-blank and 5-3 (neither are trumps, which are gone. It leads the 5-blank automatically causing a set by our opponent with the 5-5. Why not lead the 5-3 and extend it another hand? Does the AI automatically lead the smallest domino if both are the same suit and not the double?

Great app, once again.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Does the AI automatically lead the smallest domino if both are the same suit and not the double

Actually no. It's suppose to look if that lowest domino has count or can draw out a ten count in the process before playing it. I'm not sure why it made that particular move. I'll try and recreate it this weekend.
Philip J Fry
AG

Alright. The bulk of the work for the new release is pretty much done. You'll now be able to change up your screen however you like...and yes, you can choose black pips.

Now on to some AI fixes and it should be in beta testing by Sunday.
chilidogfood
AG
I havent read the whole thread, so this may have been mentioned, but...

It could just be coincidence, but I feel like the AI cheats a bit when I try to go low. They always know my weak spot if I'm trying to slip through a 'high' domino.

Has anyone else had this problem?
JaceAG12
Just bought the app last week..really great 42 app thanks guys
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
It could just be coincidence, but I feel like the AI cheats a bit when I try to go low. They always know my weak spot if I'm trying to slip through a 'high' domino.

Flattering, but no. The AI does not "know" what your hand is. It does make a guess though. They keep track of what dominos are still out there and choose to lead with the one that will be the most likely to lose.
DB Coach
AG
Randomly wondered if someone had created a 42 app and ran across this one on the App Store. When I saw the name of the company, I instantly knew it had to be an Ag! Superb job on the app!!! It is spot on, and I've already shared it with some other family members. Way to go! GIG'EM!
Philip J Fry
AG
Thanks for that! It's a labor of love...definitely a labor.

Realized tonight that I slightly broke multiplayer with this release. Already found the fix and am uploading the new version now. With luck, it will be ready soon.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 12/31/2013 12:38a).]
bigbass1170
AG
This app. I can't say how many hours I've played while offshore.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.