*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

157,060 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
7s will come eventually. Though I think my priority will be:

1: Android
2: splash/plunge
3: nello doubles low
4: ???
5: sevens

Question for the masses. Are you still able to play music in the background? Have a few reports from folks who say it isn't working anymore, but it works fine when I try it.

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 4/25/2013 7:49a).]
t_engler2001
AG
Music still works for me.
agfan2013
AG
Phone is good (5) but if I remember right my iPad 3 wouldn't let it play music during the game
Philip J Fry
AG
Interesting. I wonder if it's just an iPad issue...even though its the exact same code.

agfan2013
AG
Well I just played a round on the iPad and it can play music so it's working now. I still think (probably 80% sure) that I did try and play a game a few days ago and it turned the music off when we drew dominoes to determine the bid order.
javick82
AG
quote:
7s will come eventually. Though I think my priority will be:

4: ???
5: sevens

Question for the masses. Are you still able to play music in the background? Have a few reports from folks who say it isn't working anymore, but it works fine when I try it.

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 4/25/2013 7:49a).]

I can't wait!!!
SSC
What about a way to change your trumps if you screw up when selecting. Just blew a 2 mark hand because of fat fingers.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
What about a way to change your trumps if you screw up when selecting. Just blew a 2 mark hand because of fat fingers.

Be more careful?

In all seriousness, I may add an option that forces you to hit the button at the top to cut down on the accidental selections.
Philip J Fry
AG
Oops...meant to use this icon.
2006EE
AG
Are you sure you want 6's to be trumps?

Yes No

Then

Are you sure that you are sure you want 6's to be trumps?

Yes No

Then

Are you sure that you are sure that you are sure you want 6's to be trumps?

Yes No

Then

Are you sure that you are sure that you are sure that you are sure that you want 6's to be trumps? Because you can't change your mind.

Yes No

Then

Last time. Sixes are trumps correct?

Yes No
Philip J Fry
AG
Dammit. I meant 5s!
2006EE
AG
quote:
Dammit. I meant 5s!

Dumbass.
TefIon Don
AG
OP, is that your 42 app that is out on the android market?
Philip J Fry
AG
Not to my knowledge.

I would be curious to hear how it compares to mine. A decent free app in competition certainly makes it hard for me to go through the effort.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 4/29/2013 12:24p).]
TefIon Don
AG
I'll be honest, the android app is very well done. There are a couple of UI issues, but I imagine they will get ironed out over time. The app is still fairly new and only has 1,000+ downloads and 14 reviews.
Philip J Fry
AG
You know, that interface looks a LOT like the interface in Dominos 42 on the iphone. It uses a portrait view and stores tricks on a completely different screen. With exception to a few added main screen features and better graphics, I'd say those were made by the same developer.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 4/29/2013 2:56p).]
Hudson2508
AG
I prefer your app Philip but I'm excited to finally have 42 on my phone. The UI seems good and the overall flow is great but yours is a much better design and I doubt this app will look very good on my tablet. If you make a droid app I would still love to pay for it from you.
Orome
AG
Just found out about this app and downloaded it on my 4S. Works well but is there a way I can play music while I have the app open?
Bunkhouse96
AG
Yours is better. I can't wait for the Android version. I have purchased the ipad version and will buy the Android version when available.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Just found out about this app and downloaded it on my 4S. Works well but is there a way I can play music while I have the app open?

As soon as I can reproduce that problem on my phone, yes.
DaveHimself
AG
Awesome app! I got an Iphone a few weeks ago and this was one of my first downloads because I've been following this thread. I did find one error recently...

I called 3's as trump. On the next to last trick I play the last trump, 4-3. Philip plays the 6-6. I win that trick, then the last trick I lead with the 6-4. Philip then plays the 1-1. Why would he not play the 1-1 the previous trick, then hold the 6-6 for his final domino?
abileneag09
AG
Just checked out the other Android 42 app. It's very simplistic and not user friendly. I only played one round on it but the logic seemed very undeveloped and the menus are junk.

Looking forward to yours coming out on Android so I can buy it!
Ogre09
AG
Just got the multiplayer update. Does it only do bluetooth and local wifi network, or does it connect via web?

TexasRebel
AG

[This message has been edited by TexasRebel (edited 5/19/2013 11:35a).]
Philip J Fry
AG
It works through the Internet. There are a few bugs that I'm working through though. For one, if you invite a friend to play, both of you cannot have the multiplayer menu up. It's suppose to pop up automatically once you receive an invite and is gets confused if its already up.

There are a few more that need to be sorted out, but I usually don't have a problem when everyone I'm playing has a good connection.
FightinAggie07
AG
I was curious if there was a 42 app for iPad, so I searched the store and sure 'nuff. Downloaded, played it, loved it. Then I find the link to TexAgs! Brilliant! Great job, Phillip!

Side note, I don't hear any music.
Philip J Fry
AG
Arg, that's weird. I have a hunch about that...

Can you clear some of your programs from your active memory and see if the music starts working?
FightinAggie07
AG
Do you mean just don't have other apps running at the same time? I usually don't. Other than that, not sure how to clear memory on the iPad.
TexasRebel
AG
Double tap the home button. Then hold a tap on a recent app until it shakes and the red exes appear. Then tap the red exes on the recent apps to close them.
FightinAggie07
AG
Yeah I already do that. Don't keep apps open when not
using them.
Philip J Fry
AG
Well...so much for that idea. If I can figure out what's going on with the music this weekend, I'll roll that into the release I'll be submitting tomorrow.

Question 2: If you go to Settings/General/Usage/Manage Storage...

How many MB is Texas 42 using?

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 5/26/2013 12:03p).]
FightinAggie07
AG
28.5 mb.
Philip J Fry
AG
Managed to hunt down a few bugs this weekend, but the music one was not one of them since music works just fine on all 4 of my devices (haven't tried Pandora).

I've read that some of the disconnections you experience during multiplayer may actually be apple dropping your connection. To combat this, I have each of the devices pinging away every second to maintain a good connection. I'll be curious to see how well this works in the field.

Also fixed an issue that prevents the bid/trump pickers from closing.

The biggest bug I've tackled (and am fairly excited about) is fixing a particular situation that keeps invitations from ever connecting. The next update should have substantial improvements to the code that keeps the game moving when players disconnect, but I wanted to get this patch out there before I started that stuff.
Dr. Horrible
quote:

Should be the order.... I can't tell you how many hands I've lost bidding to go nello and then realizing you can't go doubles low... Splash/Plunge is just fun, even if not everyone plays it... Android people can just wait or upgrade...
Philip J Fry
AG
With the android app already out there, that might very well be the order. Those are relatively minor additions compared to how much I have left with the android coding. It's like I'm back at my early objective c days where every little achievement takes weeks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.