*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

157,043 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
agfan2013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well I finally caught something on the beta PJF. While irresponsibly playing the beta in my AGEC 317 class while i should have been taking notes, I found out that if you tap the screen too fast (before the tap to continue message pops up) it won't advance the bidding order. The same person who had the first bid, will bid first again. I just got to bid first 4 times in a row cause I would immediately tap the screen when the hand was over. If someone has already found this my apologies but I didn't see it mentioned in the last few pages.

[This message has been edited by Agfan2013 (edited 9/18/2012 1:23p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
I actually got an e-mail about this the other day, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how it was happening. The e-mailer just said he was repeatedly getting the first bid and that it had never happened to him before.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 9/18/2012 1:22p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
Bumping because I don't like 666 replies.
trueaggie2782
AG
I haven't been able to duplicate it yet, but there is a bug in iOS 6 which causes the game to crash. I was just about to win a hand and poof, all gone. It'd be nice to have a feature that allows you to pick back up where you left off for these situations. Btw, I'm using the beta version.
Philip J Fry
AG
hmmmm...

Thezi has a free app out there called "Console" in the app store. It might have information about the crash in there.
Philip J Fry
AG
And I should ask...

Have you ever played a complete game before on the beta with iOS 6?
trueaggie2782
AG
Yes, I've played multiple games without an issue on ios 6. The crash just happened out of nowhere.
trueaggie2782
AG
I can get you the crash report. Will that help?
AggieChemE09
AG
quote:
Well I finally caught something on the beta PJF. While irresponsibly playing the beta in my AGEC 317 class while i should have been taking notes, I found out that if you tap the screen too fast (before the tap to continue message pops up) it won't advance the bidding order. The same person who had the first bid, will bid first again. I just got to bid first 4 times in a row cause I would immediately tap the screen when the hand was over. If someone has already found this my apologies but I didn't see it mentioned in the last few pages.

[This message has been edited by Agfan2013 (edited 9/18/2012 1:23p).]

I came here to post about this. I also have this issue.

Also hate seeing the cpus bidding over 31 without the 55 but with a five off. They even do it with the 50
Philip J Fry
AG
Chem, you are seeing that with the beta version? Honestly have a hard time keeping track of user names vs actual names.

Trueag, yes a crash report might be helpful
trueaggie2782
AG
Crash report sent
AggieChemE09
AG
Whatever the available to buy ipad app is currently, that version.

Sorry for not mentioning that too
Philip J Fry
AG
Okay good. I believe that bidding issue will be taken care of in this next release coming out. At least, based on what I've seen and the feedback from the beta testers.

That crash is bothering me though. I don't see anything right off hand that screams iOS 6. Had the tiles made their way to the stack on the right when it crashed, or were all the tiles still on the table? Did you have music playing in the background?
trueaggie2782
AG
Like I said, I can't replicate it. I believe the tiles were still on the table. No music in background.
trueaggie2782
AG
There it goes. It just happened again. We just won the trick. As soon as the dominos made it to the right side, the program crashed.
Philip J Fry
AG
I take it this pretty much only started happening with your iOS 6 update?
trueaggie2782
AG
You are correct. I never had a crash on iOS 5.
2006EE
AG
So don't upgrade if I want to play?
Philip J Fry
AG
Well that makes for an awkward decision doesn't it? I absolutely hate the current release. 1.1.2 will probably going to go live in 2-3 days...but it isn't playing well with an iOS that isn't released yet.

Do I let 1.1.2 go through the approval process or do I pull it now and go through the stress of updating the SDK while hoping cocos2d still works with iOS 6....

I know cocos had some orientation issues before, but your issue sounds more like a memory error to me than anything else.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 9/18/2012 8:35p).]
2006EE
AG
I will be upgrading. I will just email you everytime it crashes.
Philip J Fry
AG
/sigh. I do like having 4.5-5 stars. I'm afraid a program that crashes...as opposed to making poor bids will really annoy people.
TexasRebel
AG
Looks like there was a view orientation issue between cocos2d and the iOS 6 simulator 3 months ago.

What does cocos2d do? I did manage to create a frilly Hello World app from scratch this weekend. In objective C even.
Philip J Fry
AG
Cocos2D basically makes it much easier to deal with sprites, menus, and scenes than the base package for Xcode.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5251055/why-use-cocos-over-ui-kit-for-a-2d-iphone-game

Is a pretty good overview of the pros/cons of using cocos2d.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 9/18/2012 8:55p).]
trueaggie2782
AG
I'll be honest, I've been playing the beta a LOT the last two days and its only crashed twice. I'm trying to replicate the issue with other programs running in the background. I'll let you know my findings. Other than those 2 times, it's been running like a champ on iOS 6.
Philip J Fry
AG
I would rather it crash every single time. When it only crashes once every 100 games, it will take me forever to track down.

On a happier note, it took me all of 2 seconds to fix that bidder rotation issue. If I can get iOS 6 installed tonight, I will update the beta version for you.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 9/18/2012 9:49p).]
TexasRebel
AG
What are the chances the issue is because iOS 6 is not officially out yet?
Philip J Fry
AG
I don't know. According to the apple literature, iOS 5.0 should be completely compatible with iOS 6.0 which is why I hadn't updated the SDK yet. Of course, once you throw in cocos2d, all of that kind of goes out the window.

And with all things Apple, before I can update my SDK, I have to update my iOS so I won't be able to get to the bottom of it until tomorrow.
trueaggie2782
AG
quote:
What are the chances the issue is because iOS 6 is not officially out yet?

It shouldn't matter, as the GM release that I have installed should be the exact same as the version released in a few days.
Philip J Fry
AG
1.1.2 for the iPhone is now being processed for the app store (which means it passed the review process)!

EDIT: Just got approval for the iPad update!

Expect and update for the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 in a couple weeks.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 9/19/2012 3:38p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
Turns out, iOS 5 isn't exactly compatible with iOS 6, but I think I've fixed the issue. Betas have been updated using iOS 6 SDK and uploaded to testflightapp.
ziggity06
Any idea when an android version will be aviable?
stchamps2
Possible addition to Texas 42.
I recently bought the game. I grew up playing the game with relatives in West Texas. I have really enjoyed the game so far. Just wondering if you were going to be able to add "Sevens" in later versions. Some people don't like to play "Sevens" and I understand that but it could be an option for those that do enjoy it. Make it an option like in Win42 the pc version.
Came across a hand last night that would have had me kicking my partner under the table. I am position 4. Position 1 bid 35 and fours were trump. With three dominoes left and two trumps still out, Position 4 led the 5-3, I played the 5-0, Position 1 played the double 5, and my partner sloughed the double trey. Problem was my partner had the double 4 and could have set them. In a real game, he would deserve a kick under the table! BUT, I really enjoy the game. You DONE GOOD!

Philip J Fry
AG
There were 16 points to be had on the table and he didn't trump in? I'd be kicking him too.

If you see a move like that again in the future, post a screenshot with tiles up (and make sure you using 1.1.2) and I will try to reproduce it on my MacBook.

The coding structure for the android is almost complete. Once that's done, it will take me a couple weekends to get the AI up and running. Making progress, but I'm just juggling a lot right now.

Sevens optional play is something I have in mind for a future release! Multiplayer is up next though.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 9/20/2012 10:42a).]
bthotugigem05
AG
Finally got this. Wanted to say well done, really enjoying it.
trueaggie2782
AG

Follow me hand. Partner played correctly until hand shown. On last hand he handed over the 2-2 and kept the 1-0 even though the 2-0 and 2-1 were still out. Cost us two marks. Delta is obviously a female. ;-) j/k ladies

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.