*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

157,028 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
G. hirsutum Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some kind of a "go ahead" or review the last hand button would be nice. Sometimes if someone gets set the time in between hands is really quick and if you look away for a split second you have no idea what happened.
Philip J Fry
AG
Added to the list. Sounds like a 1.0.2 update.
country
AG
Holy crap. There went my work productivity

Awesome job. I've got endless classmates that will be buying this.

Here's my request....artwork choices for the table. I want a maroon SEC logo
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Thank you for submitting your request for an expedited review.

We are working hard to process submissions as quickly as we can and expect to complete the evaluation of your request within 1 to 2 business days. If your request is granted, you will be notified and your app will be submitted for an expedited review.

App Review Team

Sure would be nice to have a completely stable version out there. I'm crossing my fingers for thursday!
guadalupeag
quote:
I was thinking more that going over 31 would be less likely to have a 5 off, so what would you be holding it to catch?

If for some reason I did go bigger than 31 with a 5 off, I would probably still rather my partner show it early, because even though I would have had a plan for the off, it makes the 5 a safe punt up to 36 (depending on the rest of your hand of course).

Without having a full hand to talk through, that's my thought process.

The way I was always taught is you feed your partner count as early as possible. I understand the logic behind what you're saying, but as the bidder, if I have a 5 off I would feel a lot better about it if the 5:5 is in my stack than trying to guess who has it. Not saying either way is right or wrong, just the way I have always played.
Philip J Fry
AG
Doesn't it also depend on whether or not your team won the bid? You would obviously throw the 5:5 as soon as you can if the opponent bid 32+. That's a hand over move.
country
AG
I just went to Facebook with this. Once it hits my group of friends I expect a cut

I hope you make a killing on this thing. I think with a little marketing via social media you could spread the word all over the place.
Philip J Fry
AG
That's absolutely something I've been meaning to do, but have just been too busy. Now that the iPad is in beta testing, I should start having more time on my hands....or less, as more suggestions come in.

This is my first ever app, so its hard for me to gauge how successful it is...

Top 20 in the cards category and all the nice reviews from good Ags out there feels pretty awesome though (I'll keep the total downloads to myself for now as to not jinx anything). My main goal is just not to let everyone down. Glad to see that for the most part, that isn't happening!

Ogre09
AG
What's the best way to share this app on facebook? Is there a way to link it? Or do I just need to tell people to search "texas42"?
Philip J Fry
AG
You can use this link to the itunes store.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/id537029259?mt=8
Rex Racer
AG
This may have been adressed, but is there an option to allow "No Trick" (most people call it Nel-lo, or Low)?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I think he said it will come in the next release.
Philip J Fry
AG
In the next MAJOR release, yes. Probably 2.0 when splash and plunge are added in.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Game froze after I got a calendar reminder in the middle of a game. All I had to do was hit the home button and click on the app again and it was fine. Just thought I would mention it.
Philip J Fry
AG
Hmmm...I think you just gave me a way to test my fix for the low battery message.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Glad my laziness is helping someone.
Mathguy64
AG
When you get your first disbursement check from Apple you need to post a copy.
Philip J Fry
AG
Good news everyone! That was an effective method for testing this issue.

Bad news everyone! It will have to wait until 1.0.2.
TexasRebel
AG
Throwing a count domino that is also a winner is a sure fire way to lose. The only reason you should ever slough the 55 as count is if it wins the bid for your partner. He might not know where it is, but it's safe while you're looking at it.

Ultimately it's a trust issue.

I have noticed that my partner NEVER catches any of my offs, and still will not play high trump when I punt a low one first trick. He simply does not want to be in the lead.

PJF, I'm still working on writing my bid/play thoughts down. I haven't forgotten.
Philip J Fry
AG
Rebel, I've been looking into that issue with the partner not catching your punt, and I strongly think I've fixed most of it in 1.0.1. Really what was happening was that he was not picking it up in hopes of playing it against a count tile in a later trick, but he wasn't correctly looking at who had those tiles.

There is still a hole where he may not pick it up if you are currently winning the hand and he knows the next player can't match the suit, but it's an improvement.

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 7/4/2012 11:09p).]
Hudson2508
AG
This is the first time in a long time I've been jealous of iOS users. Come on Philip, you're missing out on some serious Android revenue here.

I need to steal the wife's iPad to take this for a spin though, thanks for the hard work. Sounds like it's coming together nicely.
SeenNotHeard
AG
When will the iPad version go live? I don't have an iPhone. So I want to wait and get it for my iPad rather than buy it twice.
Philip J Fry
AG
It is in beta testing as we speak. As soon as I get the all clear, I'll submit it to the store. Usually takes a little over a week from there.

As for those Android users...think of it like this, I'm perfecting it on the iPhone so you guys don't have to suffer through the growing pains. One of the things I really like about the Android setup is that there isn't a long drawn out approval process for app releases. Once it's ready on Android, you'll have it right away.

Now, if you can just find a magical piece of software that converts most of my 40K lines of code, we'll be in business a lot sooner.
wessimo
AG
Android version?
wessimo
AG
Ha- you answered seconds before I asked
khkman22
AG
quote:
Now, if you can just find a magical piece of software that converts most of my 40K lines of code, we'll be in business a lot sooner.
Paste it into Word and do Edit> Replace.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Thank you for contacting us regarding your app, Texas 42.

While we do our best to honor all requests for expedited reviews, we unfortunately cannot accommodate your request at this time as it does not meet the criteria for expediting a review.

Helping you get your app or update onto the App Store is very important to us, and we are working hard to process all submissions as quickly as possible. We thank you for your understanding and your continued patience.

Blah. Looks like 1.0.1 will be live next week then.
Baskin
AG
Just bought this, pretty impressive! Multiplayer could definitely take this game places. I know I'd personally force all my friends to buy it...
Dr. Horrible
You should be doing that anyways!
Philip J Fry
AG
So I got a request to add "Low Boy" in to the game. I assume that's another term for Nello?
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
An option to finish the hand after one party makes the bid or gets set would be nice.
Philip J Fry
AG
I plan on letting you play by points eventually. Seems like a good time to add that option.
TexasRebel
AG
Low ball is an FHK thing. It makes the lowest play win. Basically reverses the logic of the hands.
Philip J Fry
AG
Expect the iPad version to be submitted this weekend!

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 7/6/2012 4:53p).]
agflyboy10
So is there going to be an android version in the future?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.