*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

157,005 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
Scooley01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Of course folks with iPhones think the android app should be low priority...at least you have a game to play...
Philip J Fry
AG
Just to be clear, Android is still my top priority, but I do think I can multi-task a bit.
pencil
Multiplayer on iPad not priority? Guess I wil have to buy itouch version, too.
Philip J Fry
AG
Multiplayer is already on iPad.
FightinAggie07
AG
I haven't tried multiplayer yet, but my Mom downloaded the app as well... Can the two of us play vs. the computer players, or do we have to have real opponents? Thanks, Phillip!
Philip J Fry
AG
You can play two players and let the computer fill in the empty seats.
agcrock2005
AG
Where do we write about how the computer plays like an idiot???

6-6, 6-5, 6-3, 3-3, 2-2, 1-1, 1-0 and go 84 low. Basically have a lay down (assuming someone doesn't have a ton of ones). Idiot computer has all other sixes and decides to save the 6-4 to beat me on my third play then leads a 4-1 for the loss.

EDIT: I didn't go low. Sorry.

[This message has been edited by agcrock2005 (edited 5/31/2013 11:45a).]
Philip J Fry
AG
You can feel free to complain all you want on this thread. However, unless you give me a screen shot, chances are pretty much zero that I'll do anything about it.

You know, now that I think about it...
You had 3 trumps, your partner had 3-4 trumps. Why did you keep pulling trumps out after you knew your opponents were out of them?

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 5/31/2013 2:59p).]
agcrock2005
AG
Because if my partner had played like a good human, then I would've had a lay down hand (99% of the time).

I didn't know about the screenshot part. Will do next time. Thanks.
agcrock2005
AG
You know, now that I think about it. How do I take a screenshot of something that's already happened?
TexasRebel
AG
Why did you keep pulling trumps?
Leave a trump in your partners hand and he'll trump that 10

[This message has been edited by TexasRebel (edited 6/3/2013 11:02a).]
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Because if my partner had played like a good human, then I would've had a lay down hand (99% of the time).

I didn't know about the screenshot part. Will do next time. Thanks.

But if you played like you were sober, you should have moved on to your doubles instead of pulling your partners trumps. You basically forced your partner to take the lead when he didn't have to.
agcrock2005
AG
I take it you're not in sales? Otherwise, you're just a dick that doesn't know how to talk to his customers. There is a mistake in the way your partner plays, and in your app is says to come to this thread to tell you about any mistakes. Why are you so hostile when you ask people to come here and tell you when there are problems? I was trying to help you make your product better.

My partner should not have held on to his highest trumps, because that would mean he is trying to beat his partner (AKA: Me). Your partner should not be competing against you. I mistakenly assumed that if my partner wanted the lead so badly from me, that would mean that he had some doubles as well, so I gave it to him.
Philip J Fry
AG
I'm not being a dick. You forced your partner to take the lead by continuing to draw trumps out even though you knew your opponents wouldn't win. Could your partner have played the 64 when you laid down the 66? Sure. But you do have some level of responsibility to pay attention to what is played during the match. You had to know that the remaining trump was in your partners hand when you got down to your 63.

If you have played your doubles and drawn out all of your partners aces, he could have trumped in on your roach.
FightinAggie07
AG
Differences of opinion on 42 strategy =/= being a dick. Fry disagree's with your 42 strategy. My friends get into arguments every time we play 42. Lighten up, AgCrock.
Seven11
AG
quote:
Where do we write about how the computer plays like an idiot???

Probably not the best way as a customer to get support on a product. PJF asked for a screen shot not to be a dick, but because only by knowing the positions of all of the tiles can he work through the AI and identify any potential logic issues. You then complained that the computer wasn't playing like a human. Fair enough, except that the "flaw" here is that your AI partner was saving his best tile, something many human players do. When you lead your third trick you had to have known that your partner would win it with the 6-4, you were forcing them to do that. If you wanted to give your partner the lead, why throw away a trump to do it? Play your doubles and let your partner win a trick with their trump towards the end.

FightinAggie07 is right, the choice of whether or not to give up your high trumps to your partner is part if 42 strategy. If the game were modified to always give up the high trumps, then other people who play the game differently would complain. Learn what your partner's (AI or real) tendencies are and adjust your play accordingly.

Of course, you always have the option of complaining to Apple, getting a refund, and enjoying the other 42 apps out there.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
Probably not the best way as a customer to get support on a product

You got me there. Was really meant as a joke however, but I know things written don't show sarcasm well so sorry if it was rude. As far as the "dick" part. That was aimed solely at the comment about if I was playing sober I would have...

I understand as well the strategy you guys are talking about, and how I could have won the hand by just playing out my doubles. I just wanted to bring to light the other strategy, which IMO is the smarter way to play since you remain in the lead as the person who won the bet, especially on an 84 hand.

Also, I put the partner to test a little while ago when he bid and I had three trumps. When 3 trumps were played on first hand, then he and I had trumps on the second hand, he then played the last trump, drawing mine out. He had a double as well. I know this helps you zero because I have no screenshot. I guess I suck as bad as my partner.

PS: I really enjoy the game. I was only trying to help the game. I will try to remember to get screenshots when anything happens.
Philip J Fry
AG
I'm the first to admit that the computer does not play a flawless game. There are some moves that it should make that are completely obvious that a human brain can make with relative ease. For instance, there are occasions where it's better to throw out a 5 count in favor of holding on to the only tile that can beat a 10 count. I'm certain the computer will make the wrong decision in that case 9 times out of 10.
TexasRebel
AG
I'm still available to help PJF. Although now I think it's more about you throwing specific cases than the logic structure of the game.
Philip J Fry
AG
Now that I'm in the C++ world of android, this might be more up your alley.
TexasRebel
AG
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main(int argc, char* argv[]){

bool x = true;

cout << x << endl;

}
Furlock Bones
AG
Need splash/plunge. I keep forgetting and screwing up my game.
Philip J Fry
AG
I'll likely write the splash/plunge code along side the android code. So...a few more months away? The biggest issue I'm seeing is that some of the custom code already written by others on the iPhone version has to be completely translated into c++ by me...who knows squat about that language. Once I get passed that, I actually think the development will go fairly quickly.
WoodlandsAggieClone
AG
Hi Philip - I currently have an iPhone game that's "Waiting for Review". I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences as far as how you managed to market your app. Shoot me an email at jrush@usa.net whenever you have a minute. Thanks!
Philip J Fry
AG
Just about to board an airplane. I'll email later tonight.
PLaff13
This sounds awesome! Love 42!
TexasRebel
AG
Random events triggering bugs?

I just tried to start a multiplayer game. As soon as another player came in I got a text message and the game started. I was asked to pick a seat, I chose seat 3 and things went haywire. We were asked to pick a starting tile and the names just started cycling. My name was on the top of the screen and there was no name on the near side.

No clue if this can be recreated.
Philip J Fry
AG
A new version just went live tonight. I need to make 2.0.3 incompatible with 2.0.4. I'd like to wager a guess that this could be the problem. I wasn't expecting it to go live this quickly....but I'm not sure. I'll to to recreate it when I get back from my business trip. I only brought an android with me :-/

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 6/5/2013 8:54p).]
stbabs
AG
Phil, ditto what the Rebel said above. Exact same sequence.
Philip J Fry
AG
Shoot. I take it with no text message?

I played a couple live games with 2.0.3. Were either of you able to play with that release?

[This message has been edited by Philip j fry (edited 6/5/2013 9:16p).]
TexasRebel
AG
I literally just played two games then updated to whatever went live in the last few minutes.
Philip J Fry
AG
edit: Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 6/5/2013 9:32p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
Looks like it's working?
Philip J Fry
AG
Cannot believe Jay made that 36 bid.
TexasRebel
AG
Is that what you needed? My phone is almost dead.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.