*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

157,024 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
trueaggie2782
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In my experience, if you had a 4-4 and a 5 off, conservative players would bid 31. This allows them to "capture" the trumps and expect to lose the 5-5. This is only 11 points so bid is made.

If you didn't have the 4-4 and had a 5 off, conservative players usually bid 30 or pass. This allows them to lose 1 point filled with trumps and 11 points filled with the 5 off and the 5-5, therefore still making the bid of 30.

I would consider my play style normal. I play against 1-2 fairly aggressive bidders and a plethora of conservative bidders (mainly because they are new and just starting to learn the strategy of bidding). That's why I say "from my experience".

When teaching, I usually have them keep track of their dominos and, after the game, have them explain to me why they did/did not bid. Hope this helps out.
Philip J Fry
AG
Great. I'll roll that out in 1.1.3 or something. All the groundwork code has already been made for this type of adjustment.
Aggie_RN
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii117/stlavender/FBE64217-9BE5-4385-8181-E62628A9B3DA-2842-0000054DAF3715A8.jpg
2006EE
AG

Help for the rook
Aggie_RN
Curley started with 55 then played the 52.
TexasRebel
AG
that's not very strange...

either Moe has 56 or they are set.

If Moe has 56, he follows with a double and Curly sloughs the 21 to make his bid...

Since Moe does not have the 56, the hand is over...why delay?
txag007
How come there is no moon option when you can only find 2 other computer players to play?!> ???
Scooley01
AG
^^ Because moon is a different game :P
Philip J Fry
AG
I don't have a huge issue with that bid, but I don't believe that will be a two mark bid with the next revision coming out.

I gotta say, any of you beta testers that haven't checked out https://testflightapp.com yet, you really should. It makes updating your beta so incredibly easy its ridiculous.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 9/10/2012 8:37p).]
gibby03
AG
Yeah I did the TestFlight and I was up and playing again in like 5 minutes, including registering. Very simple and great idea for that.
2006EE
AG
Have you implemented the 66 ending the draw at the beginning? I am on the new beta iPhone and the first guy drew 66 and we all still had to draw.
Philip J Fry
AG
That would be a negative. Bidding and correcting some AI moves was the top priority of this release.
2006EE
AG
No problem. Not a real issue. I just remember it being mentioned.

I like the bidding and playing on this one better so far.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Yeah I did the TestFlight and I was up and playing again in like 5 minutes, including registering. Very simple and great idea for that.

It's incredible to me that Apple doesn't make all beta testing this easy.

The only thing that I find odd is that there is an option to "update build and notify". I figured since you already downloaded the original 1.1.2, it would just inform you that a new version was available. I was surprised that it asked you to be a "tester". Not really what I thought the e-mail should say.

So if you got an e-mail from testflight asking to be a tester, it was apparently really telling you that there was a new beta available.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 9/10/2012 10:28p).]
lockett93
AG
How about making the dominoes that have been played stay in position based on player, not based on order played? Meaning the tricks played, the left most would be player that won the bid, then clockwise from there?

It would allow you to reconstruct what each player had for debugging.
trueaggie2782
AG
Can you explain testflightapp.com? Is sign up free? Is your app on there to beta test?
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
How about making the dominoes that have been played stay in position based on player, not based on order played? Meaning the tricks played, the left most would be player that won the bid, then clockwise from there?

It would allow you to reconstruct what each player had for debugging.

I can re-construct it without having to put them in order for the most part.

I've actually asked this question before...do any of you actually put it in order or do you just move the tiles over?

testflightapp is totally free. If you want to be a beta tester all I need from you is your UDID. Once I have that, you need to register your device with testflightapp and it will automatically list the apps available for you to download.

You can get your UDID through iTunes...or there are several free apps in the app store that will look it up for you.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 9/11/2012 7:10p).]
agfan2013
AG
just move them over, usually turning the count dominoes sideways so they stand out
Philip J Fry
AG
Moving them over in order also helps me to make sure the computer isn't cheating.
trueaggie2782
AG
I'd be happy to beta test for you. Where can I send my UDID to?
lockett93
AG
I just love them over... but for posting images for you, its helpful to see who had what...
Philip J Fry
AG
maroonentertainment at gmail

And like I said, as long as I know who started the very first trick, I can backtrack to who had what.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 9/11/2012 10:42p).]
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it already, but mine plays the shuffle noise twice. Not every time but most of the time
Philip J Fry
AG
Can't say anyone has ever reported that.

Are you on the ipad or iphone? Music in the backgroun?
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
iPhone running latest version of app no music in background. It will play the first sound then start it again a half second later so they kinda overlap. The sound from the dominoes being played is fine, just the shuffle and it isn't every time.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Might even be 3 times
Philip J Fry
AG
So not every time...but when it does do it, is it usually between hands or the start of the game?
2006EE
AG
On the iPad beta, my partner bid 35 and the only off was the 64. He was set to aggressive and that was an aggressive call. Not sure it's wrong coding just wanted to tell you.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Doesn't seem to do it at the start of the game, especially if I completely close the app and then start. The one I just started, it was normal for the first hand, then the second hand it did it. Just did it again. Seems to only be between hands
agfan2013
AG
While we are talking betas, I've got nothing for ya PJF. As of late it seems I either dont catch anything wrong or by some luck my games are perfect, granted i've only had time for probably less than 10 games. This semester is gonna be hell for me, I havent even gotten around to registering on that new site for the beta yet, but I'm still gonna try and play as much as I can and give what little feedback I can. As always keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to multiplayer.
Philip J Fry
AG
No problem. Almost all the moves that are questionable that I've seen are contributed to typos more than anything else. I think for the most part, the logic is fairly sound when its behaving as intended. Being able to play tiles up and re-create the games on my end has really helped me tighten the screws.
Philip J Fry
AG
Can any of you beta testers confirm that you just got my test flight notification that a new 1.1.2 build is available? I still don't quite know what I'm doing with that site.
2006EE
AG
No notifications yet.
Philip J Fry
AG
Hmmm...so did you know to update based on my last message?
2006EE
AG
quote:
Hmmm...so did you know to update based on my last message?

Yes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.