*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

156,990 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've had a report of that bid wheel popping up during the game. Seems like a very odd thing to happen mid-game like that. I'm sitting down to watch some march madness and code a bit. I'll see what I can do to figure out what's causing it. Since you said it the connection was spotty, my first instinct is that these issues stem from the app trying to recover the connection.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 3/22/2014 4:16p).]
Kyle98
AG
Just bought the app recently, and I love it. Great job!

One issue I've seen that I haven't seen addressed here (I haven't read much, just the last few pages) is that the house rules don't seem to always work correctly. The computer players can pass as the dealer, even if all other players pass, resulting in a "misdeal". This is with Forced Bidding turned on. If it passes around to me, though, I can't pass.

It's happened a handful of times.

(edit) Sorry, Android 4.3, app version 2.0.6

[This message has been edited by Kyle98 (edited 3/24/2014 10:39a).]
Philip J Fry
AG
Really? I specifically released 2.0.6 to take care of that problem. Could you send me a screenshot with the tiles turned up next time it happens? I tested several games worth on my end to make sure it was working and never saw it do that.
Kyle98
AG
Will do. It's pretty infrequent, but I've had it happen once since my post, I think.
Kyle98
AG
Got it to happen pretty quickly:

And my House Rules page:
chilidogfood
AG
+1 to Kyle.

Happens to me too.

Nexus 5 4.4.2
Philip J Fry
AG
Oh snap. Thanks. I'll plug that hand in the code tonight and see if it does it to me.
Philip J Fry
AG
/sigh

So of course when I try it on my machine, it does exactly what it's supposed to.

Do you recall if there were any nello/doubles/follow me bids before that hand?

Needless to say, at the moment I'm a little stumped. No matter what AI setting I try, Fry tries to bid 30-31 when he isn't forced. Think Fry, think.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 3/25/2014 9:33p).]
Kyle98
AG
Yeah, there was a nello hand at one point, I think. Maybe 2 or 3 hands before. I actually was able to get that pretty quick, only took about 5 or 6 hands. I passed every time hoping to help make it happen.
TexasRebel
AG
PJF, I need to email you.
Philip J Fry
AG
maroonentertainment@gmail.com
sodiumacetate
Any idea when you will add the "play by points" instead of marks capability?

Good job with the app.
mountaindew
AG
Just bought it. Playing with my sister.
TexasRebel
AG
TMI
Ogre09
AG
Has someone set up any kind of group play ? I'm tired of playing ai, and can't get matched easily.
Sea Gull
AG
Ran into a bug involving the ai trumping where it shouldn't. Maybe it's been mentioned before. There's been an issue of an ai trumping in with a lower trump after another player has already trumped in using the highest available trump.

Example:

Trumps are 6s.

AI 1 (to my right): Leads 5-5.
Me: follow suit with 5-4
AI 2: Trumps in with 6-6
AI 3: Trumps in with 6-1

Or something like that. Has this been discussed yet? Still loving this app btw.
Kyle98
AG
I'm still getting the AI dealer passing when he should be forced to bid. Happens probably close to half the time that it passes around. I also get a random 2 mark nello bid when it's not forced from time to time. That one's pretty rare, though.
Philip J Fry
AG
Been a long time since I've been able to sit down and code, but I just released Moon into beta testing.

Now to address some of the quirks going on with the iphone and android Texas 42 apps...
agfan2013
AG
Man I'm getting old, can't believe this was over two years ago. I do apologize for getting way too busy after graduating and not being able to help beta test this anymore. Still fire it up at least once a week though, it's got a spot on my home screen so I've got easy access to it. Really glad this turned into such an outstanding app.
wee_ag
AG
My family is a big fan of this one... they're just not able to find others online to play with .
TexasRebel
AG
quote:
I'm still getting the AI dealer passing when he should be forced to bid. Happens probably close to half the time that it passes around. I also get a random 2 mark nello bid when it's not forced from time to time. That one's pretty rare, though.

Can you list your settings here? Maybe a screenshot... Those are all possible scenarios if the settings allow.
Hudson2508
AG
One thing I was thinking that would be awesome is some kind of android notification when someone logs onto multiplayer. That way instead of just randomly trying to catch people you could be alerted. Just make sure there's an option to silence them if they get annoying.

Might be tough but an interesting idea.

[This message has been edited by hudson2508 (edited 8/4/2014 10:14p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
I like that idea. I'll look into it.
Philip J Fry
AG
Did tweak the Android code tonight. Make sure you update if you want to play multiplayer.

Changes:
1: Fixed (I think) the issue where tiles don't get rotated and moved off the screen properly.
2: Fixed a bug that would reset your trumps to blanks after making a splash bid.
3: Added more robust checks to keep the computer from passing if forced bidding is turned on.
4: Added code to prevent players from playing with tiles up during multiplayer.
Philip J Fry
AG
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shoot-the-moon/id721423883?mt=8

Moon is officially available on the iPhone.
TexasRebel
TexasRebel
AG
2-0 so far

2 hands.

2 games won.
Philip J Fry
AG
I fully expect you of all people to go 100-0. I plan on submitting an update tonight that makes the computer bid a bit more aggressive.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 8/11/2014 7:21p).]
TexasRebel
AG
I haven't had the opportunity yet, but how does the AI deal with only 5 trumps on the table?

Does it even consider the possibility of someone trading a trump for the widow?
Philip J Fry
AG
It absolutely considers that extra tile. Especially during the bidding process. Moon is a totally different animal from a coding perspective than 42 in that I can really have the computer look at all the different possibilities without hurting run time.

For in play stuff, it assumes that tile could be in either of the players hands...until they fail to follow suit and removes it from consideration.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 8/11/2014 7:38p).]
TexasRebel
AG
I mean after first play.

It's not a common tactic, but I've saved a hand by leaving a trump out of play before. The strategy was confusion.
TexasRebel
AG
The uniqueness of it is that the bidder would not have to follow suit with a trump.

It's fishing for a sloughed hand though, and that is against your hard coded rules of play.
Philip J Fry
AG
You know, it's been a long time since I played with that particular piece of code. If my memory is right, it will assume that you don't have the highest trump if you don't lead with it.
TexasRebel
AG
Now... That could prove useful when the time comes.

Philip J Fry
AG
Now, that only works for the first move. After the first move it won't make any guesses on what you have in your hand based on your play.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.