*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

157,063 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just updated the Android Beta. Hopefully, this fixes the exit button non functionality.
Saxosaurus
A lot of us visually-impaired folks love and avidly play the game of 42... Any thought to adding VoiceOver support to this app? I know personally many who would buy it. VoiceOver is the built-in screenreader for iOS, which makes features and apps accessible to the blind. It adds voice tags and double-tap functionality to graphics, for instance.
I and many others would also happily consult on developing such support.
Thanks,
S-
Philip J Fry
AG
Hadn't had any thought until today. I might look into it in the upcoming weeks.
Saxosaurus
Please please do. And please PM me if you require assistance...
Hudson2508
AG
Phillip, one of the few logic problems I catch on a pretty frequent basis is my partner tends to play a 5 off when the 5-5 is still unplayed even when he has other offs that would lose less count. For instance, on the last one I noticed, my partner had the 5-4 and 4-1. He chose to play the 5-4 even though he stands to lose a ten count instead of just the 5 count he's leading (6-4 was already played). To me, if the 5-5 and the 4-4 are still left unplayed I would play the 4 off since we can still make our bid losing 5 instead of 10. Does that make sense?
Philip J Fry
AG
Yes it does, and I would consider that a case where the current logic fails.
Hudson2508
AG
Cool, overall the bot logic is pretty great. And I'm not even sure I would want you to make it perfect since most people I play with make very similar mistakes in logic and that's how good players get an edge.

I love how much I'm able to practice with this game and I can't thank you enough for helping spread the game to new learners. I've shared the game with a bunch of people who were always hesitant to learn in a live game.
Philip J Fry
AG
Android update: Multiplayer has now been released to my beta testers. I'll give them a week to find a critical bug and then I'll release it to the public.
Hudson2508
AG
Phillip, can I play with iOS users or just with other android beta testers?
Hudson2508
AG
Well if anyone wants to give this a try I created a room. Come join and lets play.
Philip J Fry
AG
I actually did 95% of the android work on my iphone, so yes it will be possible eventually. Just not at the moment, unfortunately. I plan on working the bugs out with the android folks before I completely blow up my iOS code.
Hudson2508
AG
Nice. Well I'm waiting for players to join to try and test it out. I wonder if even 3 other guys have the Testflight updated version yet.
Philip J Fry
AG
You and one other are the only one's who have it at the moment. I just realized I broke the "tap to continue" code in this release, so I'll be updating it again here in a few anyway.
Philip J Fry
AG
Hudson, saw that you made a room. If you want to have a quick go, I'm free though you need to update your app to the latest beta before you do. Not sure how well our two codes will mesh otherwise.
Philip J Fry
AG
You know what, I'll probably regret this, but I'm just going to go ahead and upload it to google play. I've tested it over and over again and it seems at least on par with my initial multiplayer release on the iphone. Probably a little bit better. Look for it tonight.
Philip J Fry
AG
Would be curious to know if I'm the only person who has successfully played a multiplayer game or not. Any of you tried it yet?
outlaw08
AG
I started one and played about 3 hands before I got disconnected but that was 2-3 months ago
Philip J Fry
AG
Sorry, I should have specified Android users. Apple's GameCenter API is garbage. Hopefully, the service I'm using for Android is significantly better at maintaining a connection.
Hudson2508
AG
I just played a game and it went fine. No connection issues at all.
Philip J Fry
AG
I should probably add some code that deletes the rooms from the lobby if the owner left. Not sure why I didn't consider that.
Hudson2508
AG
Another feature you should try adding is chat. I know that may open it up to people table talking but it would be cool to talk with fellow players. Maybe in the waiting room or something.

Nice work, multiplayer is faster than I thought it would be.
Philip J Fry
AG
Table talk was one thing. I originally wanted to make a lobby that you could chat in, but these phones are so dang small, I couldn't see how I could easily fit both of them in without making the join room buttons tiny. I also considered the fact that there are some messed up people out there and I didn't want to be responsible for policing it. I haven't totally decided against it though. Just another feature on my long to do list.
Hudson2508
AG
One glitch I found in multiplayer was when the two computers drew the same level of domino to pick the first dealer. They were supposed to each pick a second domino but the game just hung there and both humans had to leave the game and restart it.
Hudson2508
AG
Phillip, since the latest update I've been unable to connect to a multiplayer game. Was working fine before I tried this afternoon.
Philip J Fry
AG
Are you getting a connection failed message?
AGinHI
AG
Saw this thread, bought your app. Just wanted to say it's awesome. Don't get to play 42 out here very often, so it's nice to keep up with the game.

Aloha
Hudson2508
AG
I get connection failed messages frequently and I've had several issues with getting games started once someone joined the table. Seems to have gotten worse from a connection stand point since I updated yesterday.
Philip J Fry
AG
Hmmmm...well, I haven't really changed any code in that area yet. I just focused on not sending moves/bids until everyone is connected.

I'll try to find some time to log in tonight and see if it does it with me. I was able to play several games on my own android device before I released it, so I'm wondering where this issue is coming from.
Philip J Fry
AG
One thing I've found that seems to help the failed connection message...

You username uses the name you put in the options setting and adds a time stamp to the end of it to make sure it's unique. If you get the error, go to the options menu...make no changes and hit save. I think what's happening is you aren't cleanly disconnecting from the server and it's locking your username out for some reason.

I'll see if I can find a more sophisticated fix in the future.
BurnetAg
I just bought it for my android phone which is S3.

Issues I've experienced

1) drains battery and the phones gets very hot
I went from 50% battery to dead in less than 20 minutes.
2) if for some reason I'm mid game and I hit the options button. I'm unable to resume at all. The other button's work except for this one. I end up having to kill the game and start over

Enhancement
I would like to see a players average win/loss. I paid less for my poker game and it tells me all the stats I ever want to know.
Philip J Fry
AG
Issue number 2 should be easy enough to address. I thought I already fixed that to be honest. Do you know what version you are running?

Note to self: Add a version number on the playing table like I did for the iphone.
DE4D
AG
Is the multiplayer cross platform?
agmrpink
AG
I've got a bizarre question. I use a Blackberry Q10, and it has a square display. My OS allows me to install/purchase virtually any Android app, but before buying, I'm concerned about the display scaling. Based on your code, do you know if the app would just be re-scaled, or would it get clipped based on a hardcoded screen ratio (and in turn unplayable)?

Thanks!
Philip J Fry
AG
It can be cross platform, but I haven't added it to the iphone code yet. The third party server I'm using isn't free, so I'm trying to decide how to handle the costs.

As far as the blackberry goes, I'm not worried about it being clipped. I designed it to float around on your screen, but looking at the Q10, my biggest concern is just overall screensize. Thing looks tiny to me.
SemperGigEm
AG
Had a chance to play the multiplayer last night, and had a few issues. I was on 4G at the time, and this is a SGS4. The other player was playing in Fry's usual spot.

On the first hand of one of our games, the word "Passed" never disappeared from my partner's dominoes, and it never revealed the trump to me (wasn't Follow Me).
That only happened once, but the "passed" staying on screen happened a few times.

Another time, midhand, the bidding wheel popped up. We were three or four dominoes in, and the win/set conditions hadn't been met. I could still play my dominoes, but, and this is the sleep deprivation showing, I believe the game ended prematurely and a new wheel popped up. The first one had a minimum bid of 32, the new one 30.

Connection was spotty, so I couldn't tell what was lag on the software's part vs wonky cell signal.

Enjoying where the app is headed, though. Was well worth the money. It's hard to find people to play in VA, so this is a good fix.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.