*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

157,001 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
TexasRebel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Found a bug in moon tonight.

On the initial draw I tied with Philip. 62,44.

Now the 62 and the 44 do not appear in the tableau. Just empty spots.
TexasRebel
AG
Only on the first game though.
Demasiado
AG
Does not dump in the correct order
TexasRebel
AG
Philip J Fry
AG
What do you consider the correct order for dumping?

And thanks Rebel. I've never seen that before. Apple is taking a really long time to approve apps with the ios 8 cluster ****. Should be fixed in a few weeks.
Hudson2508
AG
Philip, I play in a 42 league in Austin and I've been spreading the word about your app. Surprisingly for a bunch of hardcore players most haven't heard of it. The level of play in the league is pretty amazing and most of them aren't Aggies.
TexasRebel
AG
Are you one of those who plays at Ginny's?
Hudson2508
AG
We play at C-Hunts. Think they used to play at Ginny's.
terradactylexpress
Anyone else have a problem where it computer can pass on a force bid hand even when it is turned off for you?
Philip J Fry
AG
On android yes. I still havent figured out how it's possible on my end.
Kampfers
AG
So I just bought this app yesterday (didn't have a compatible phone for a long time) and have a bone to pick.

Not my first game after enabling the correct house rules do I have the opportunity to plunge. My teammate had bid 31 and I figured "great, should be an easy 2 mark hand."

So what does the AI do? Jackass calls trumps as 4 and then leads with the 3:3. Whatever. I figure he just didn't want to use the trumps right away (dumb, but whatever). Then he drops the 2:4. I figured he was just playing like an ass but actually had all the trumps (of course an Aggie programmer would make the AI play that way, right? is there another way to play 42?) until it went around and the enemy AI dropped the 4:4.

What kind of a ****ing genius plays like that??!!!!

No, but seriously, great app. Good luck getting me to be productive at work ever again.
Texaggie7nine
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but a great add on for this would be live 42 scoring card that while in idle would display who's shake it was.
7nine
TexasRebel
AG
3 doubles left in 21 dominoes and you just assume your partner has the one he needs on a 31 bid?

He had that 6-4 locked down tighter than Area 51 though...
Roc96
AG
I just bought it, and I like it.
tealbagwell
AG
love the game, but I think 4-player multi has issues with freezing...

Any updates coming soon? Would like to keep using it!
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:
love the game, but I think 4-player multi has issues with freezing...

Any updates coming soon? Would like to keep using it!

Not sure if it's still being updated.

Also, you may want to rethink that username.
Philip J Fry
AG
I still work on it. I just don't have time to devote to it like I used to.

That being said, contacting me through email is the best way to get my attention with issues.
85Photon
AG
Been playing 42 for five decades. Game is ok. Need to be able to bid with 7 as trump on 1+ marks. Need to be able to bid nello with doubles low. These are part of the game and incomplete without it. Also need to bid splash or plunge up front. Bidding two marks then selecting splash or plunge is silly. I wish it would save my changes to AI style from game to game. Keeping statistics would be nice. I don like girls colored pips. Play on iPhone. Honestly like the 42 game on android by the other fellers better. Fix the above and you'll not only have correct 42, but a superior product. Trying to help here.
85Photon
AG
Undo would be very nice, in case you hit the wrong button, or bid two marks on 7s and realize you can't bid on 7s, etc.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I've played this version for a few years, but didn't know it was from a poster here on Texags. Nicely done.
Hudson2508
AG
7's, nello, splash and plunge ruin a perfect game. Play it straight up like we do with tournament rules.

Love the app Phillip and the only thing that annoys me is the suspect AI decisions when punting a domino. I might be able to help you with that logic if you are interested. It kills me when they punt a 10 count off when they have other options.
Philip J Fry
AG
That kills me too. Especially when I have tons of code written to avoid doing that very thing that's never quite worked the way I would like it to. Oh well. One of these days it'll get to where it doesn't do that anymore.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
Also need to bid splash or plunge up front. Bidding two marks then selecting splash or plunge is silly
I hope you are saying that because it's against a computer and you don't play like that in real life.
7nine
TexasRebel
AG
I hope nobody bids splash or plunge in real life.

Hey partner! I have four doubles... Pick a trump.

Why don't we just make count trump?
TexasRebel
AG
I've seen plenty of odd plays, but I know is a monumental task to create an AI for 42.

There was a huge todo about a computer playing Go. That game has nothing on 42.
Philip J Fry
AG
I've been tinkering with code that uses Monte Carlo simulations to determine the best move. I think it will only work after you've played a few tricks in order to keep the same game play speed.

It would already be live if it weren't for some occasional very oddball moves that don't make sense until you break down the statistics of the play. I think it has a lot of potential for correcting some of logic flaws, but it's still a bit away from being ready.
TexasRebel
AG
Now you're thinking more like chess.
GreasenUSA
AG
Been enjoying this for years now on Android with single player. Just tried to play multiplayer for the first time tonight with a friend who has an Iphone, but couldn't figure out how to connect. Is this just something that's not possible?
PuryearFratDaddy
AG
Have same issue connecting to multiplayer (both iPhones) with the Rib. Sure is user error as neither of us play games or use Game Center much, but tried inviting from both directions in Game Center and the 42 app and no bueno...thoughts??
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
App got very buggy on me today. Working on an upgrade? I took a screen cap if you need an example.

Idea: always wanted a "replay hand" option as a teaching tool. Would make it not count, bit would be helpful and fun .
agfan2013
AG
Holy crap I can't believe it's been 4.5+ years since this came out! I remember helping beta test this back in the day. I've been on a 42 kick as of late and been playing a couple of games a day still thanks to this app.

Seems like you are mostly done working on it, but if you do find spare time I would suggest adding point scoring. First to 250 points, if a team sets a bid they get those points plus points won during the hand, and so on. Really changes up your bidding strategy and how you have to think about hands.

I wouldnt worry about putting in 7s, I'd bet less than 25% of 42 players I've seen allow that rule. It's such a cheap/weird way to play anyways. And I'm glad you've got the option to turn off splash/plunge as I don't care for that either. Only alternate bid type I've seen commonly used is nello on a forced bid and even that isn't allowed at tournaments....

Congrats on the app, I hope it's been successful/profitable for you. I still tell people about it who like to play 42.
sdc177
AG
I just got on to see if anyone was online and found an empty Alcoholics Room. Has anyone hopped on and found random people to play with? If that is realistic then maybe building in optional notifications to the app would be cool so that you can try to catch a game. Maybe this has been covered but I'm going though the whole thread
ceejerina
I know I'm late to this party, but I'm so excited to have found this app! Trying to get my roommate to get it, but she says her iPhone won't let her do multiplayer. Any idea as to why?

Thanks & Gig 'em!
Woody2001
AG
Phillip,

Any reason why my partner keeps doing the following:

Wins bid
Leads double of trump suit
Instead of playing next highest trump, plays an off?

Had that happen couple different times and sometimes get trumped in on by opponent & at minimum makes it hard to play count for him.

Thoughts?
bmart97
AG
Purchased today. How do you sign in for multiplayer?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.