*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

157,067 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
Hudson2508
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I can't thank you enough for this effort. Played bones this past weekend and couldn't believe how bad I missed playing regularly. Hopefully this game will tide me over until I find a group that can get a weekly game going.
heddleston
AG
evo 3d, nexus7
wessimo
AG
SGS2
Oh Four Five
AG
Galaxy S2 Skyrocket

PJF, is posting here the best way to contact you with odd plays or would you rather get emails?

[This message has been edited by AggieDan04 (edited 8/17/2012 2:14p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
I really goofed up on 1.0.2 with my rushed release do I can't say I'm shocked folks are seeing some odd moves. Hopefully 1.1 fixes that.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 8/20/2012 10:57a).]
Philip J Fry
AG
So I made a tough decision and pulled the update after playing with it over this past week. I wasn't too happy with some of the bidding (bidding 35 on fives without the 55). I think I have it under control now and resubmitted it yesterday so the clock has been reset.

After sleeping on it a bit, I've decided that posting your play issues really should be done on here for everyone to see...even/especially obvious bugs. I realized I was being too paranoid and it would be nice to see how wide spread some of these issues might be.
Scooley01
AG
Phone is Evo 3D, use Galaxy Tab 10.1 for games as well.

Although with Android, surely you dont have to develop for specific devices, right?

Im excited to see an Android version in the works! Would donations make the app released sooner? :-P
wee_ag
AG
HTC Rezound
Rooted HP Touchpad
thegooddoctor
Galaxy S2 skyrocket

[This message has been edited by thegooddoctor (edited 8/23/2012 10:12a).]
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:

Although with Android, surely you dont have to develop for specific devices, right?

You have to code for each screen size and each API if I understand it right. So, some of those might be shared by multiple phones, but not all.

I've already sucked it up and hired a developer to handle porting over the more difficult aspects of the code. I might be ready for beta testers in a month or so.
wee_ag
AG
Awesome.
Scooley01
AG
I can't wait! My boss talks about playing the iPad version all the time and I feel left out
10PennyNail
AG
If you are still needing Android phones for your dev process, I am on a G2 (HTC Vision).
Herne the Hunter
HTC Evo 4g LTE
Philip J Fry
AG
So I'm changing up the start menu a bit...

Thoughts/suggestions? Is "Play with Partners" obvious enough that it's multiplayer, or should I just flat out say "Multiplayer"?
2006EE
AG
Multiplayer
Philip J Fry
AG

You're right. Simple is better.
wee_ag
AG
To make it less confusing you could change "Single Player" to "Play with Yourself" and then leave "Play with Partners".

hth
Philip J Fry
AG
Thought about that and decided I might lose my 4+ rating.
TexasRebel
AG
Play with yourself...
Play with somebody else...
Philip J Fry
AG
More review fun!

quote:

Not a true Texas 42 ★
by Melissa Garth - Version 1.0.2 - Aug 24, 2012

I miss getting to play 42 and was excited when I purchased this app. I was quickly let down. You can not plunge, play 7's or go nil on this game. Also the follow me should be stacked on top of each other instead of pulled to the side pile. I wouldn't recommend this app to anyone who has truly played 42 and will miss the unavailable plays that this app does not provide. I hope the app developer will add these plays to the list.

Have any of you played follow me this way? I thought this was only for 84+ bids.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 8/25/2012 7:21a).]
TexasRebel
AG
it is, and those variants are each a disgrace to real 42, each in its own way.

I almost want to go write a review that says the exact opposite.

[This message has been edited by TexasRebel (edited 8/25/2012 7:38a).]
Philip J Fry
AG
You sold your soul when you used that promotional code though. No reviews allowed from folks who downloaded it for free.
Philip J Fry
AG
To you Android users out there (and I don't mean to hijack my own thread)...

quote:
We've been experimenting with Android development. So far, the verdict is not good. Prepare yourself for a LOT more headaches. The development process is kludgy and the emulator is a joke. Most importantly though, there are so many devices with such wildly different specs, features, and limitations, that it really makes your life hell. It's really hard to even begin comparing the whole experience to the iOS development experience.

Also Cocos2D Android is, in our experience, the best there is as far as a game-friendly SDK. But it's still sorely under-developed. So, don't expect an easy road to travel.

And we all know that the Android marketplace is a wasteland. The plural of anecdote is not evidence, but seriously: do you know anyone who has bought an Android app? Even the hard-core Android junkies I know haven't. You'll probably look at making a free app and getting revenue through ads, which is a terribly hard way to make a buck.

My advice is to stick to one thing and do it well. If your app becomes popular on another device FIRST, you might be able to justify porting it to Android. Its real the worst of both worlds: the development process is harder, and the app store is worse.

This has consistently been the response I've seen from Android developers and I have to say I agree. The Android SDK has been an utter nightmare so far.

Also found this article interesting. If Google is going to catch up with iOS with available apps, they've really got to start focusing it on making the development process easier.

http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/why-eric-schmidts-prediction-about-android-vs-ios-development-dead-wrong

The problem I see is that the market share is so segmented with the different devices.

[/end rant].
Scooley01
AG
That quote is obviously an Apple fanboy unhappy about doing Android development. I've bought dozens of apps, and I can list them for you if you like.

How can it be a 'wasteland' when every serious developer makes their app cross-platform?
Philip J Fry
AG
I think the app availability entirely depends on which phone you have. I was reading the other day that Angry Birds wasn't even available on certain phones.

Honestly, it doesn't make sense to be a fanboy of one or the other as long as you can be successful at both. My point is that Android is not making it easy for developers to enter the market like apple has.

Scooley01
AG
I wouldn't know anything about that side of it, but that sucks if that's the way it is. Android has such a huge market share due to being on so many different pieces of hardware on so many carriers...they should definitely have a friendly process for creating and getting apps into their store, or they're only hurting themselves.
Philip J Fry
AG
Just successfully compiled code for the SG3!
Fuzzbutt
AG
Evo 3d here. Excited about an android version.
2006EE
AG
Fuzz,

Next time you see me you can play on my phone or iPad.
Fuzzbutt
AG
Mrs. Fuzz has both. I just want to use the superior OS.
2006EE
AG
quote:
Mrs. Fuzz has both. I just want to use the superior OS.

I have an iOS. It means intelligent OS.
Fuzzbutt
AG
Meaning it lets you know what you want to do through limitations?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Had a couple of trump related flubs recently. Can't remember all the facts for certain, but here goes. In both situations my partner and I had all the trump remaining with him having won the bid. First situation, Fry plays 55 and I trump to keep us from being set. Jay then plays a trump below mine. We end up losing on the last trick when he could have still had a trump rather than the off he chose not to play. Second situation is virtually identical except Jay trumped over me, took the trick and then punted. Also lost that one as a result.
Scooley01
AG
I don't think the "i" stands for intelligent. "intelligent pod?"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.