*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

157,035 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Probably not my best moment...

quote:
This should be Chicken Rules if you're an Aggie. Splash, Plunge, forced nilo, and no 7's. Otherwise I can't believe I paid for this ****.

Regards

quote:
Apple lets you request your money back. You could go that route if it bothers you that much.

Or, you could be patient as I plan on getting to splash/plunge at some point. Maybe you should check out the thread on texags. Nello is already on the game and will be forced for multiplayer.

quote:
I will go the apple route. Hook'em

Regards,

quote:
Good luck. I know tsip grads need to hold on to every dollar they earn from Walmart that they can.

Gig 'em.

Remind me not to answer e-mail while watching aggie basketball.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 2/23/2013 5:13p).]
agfan2013
AG
Wait he knows rules for playing at the Dixie chicken but is a longhorn? Does not compute....

I wouldn't even waste my time with an as*hole like that.

[This message has been edited by Agfan2013 (edited 2/23/2013 5:45p).]
2006EE
AG
quote:
Probably not my best moment...

quote:
This should be Chicken Rules if you're an Aggie. Splash, Plunge, forced nilo, and no 7's. Otherwise I can't believe I paid for this ****.

Regards

quote:
Apple lets you request your money back. You could go that route if it bothers you that much.

Or, you could be patient as I plan on getting to splash/plunge at some point. Maybe you should check out the thread on texags. Nello is already on the game and will be forced for multiplayer.

quote:
I will go the apple route. Hook'em

Regards,

quote:
Good luck. I know tsip grads need to hold on to every dollar they earn from Walmart that they can.

Gig 'em.

Remind me not to answer e-mail while watching aggie basketball.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 2/23/2013 5:13p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Wow. Thanks for proving my point Aggies having no class even though they love to brag about having it.

I mock you and your school. Shouldn't your **** be deep inside of a sheep. It is Saturday night. I hear in College Station you just have to honk your horn and the sheep back up to the fence. Easy pickings.

And yes, I am we'll aware I have no class. Never claimed I did.

I do, however, work at Dell and will be sure to add your emails to the message boards.

Regards,

Dude, he works for Dell.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 2/23/2013 9:39p).]
2006EE
AG
I bet TexAgs gets more traffic than the Dell board.

Someone find the dell board.
2006EE
AG
Tweet at dell and tell them one of your employees told you to eff a sheep.
agfan2013
AG
Glad he knows he's classless, I know a few good texas grads (I have no problem saying they graduated from the university of texas if they are decent) but this dude epitomizes 90% of the tsip d-bags I come across.

[This message has been edited by Agfan2013 (edited 2/23/2013 10:43p).]
agfan2013
AG
And seriously, all this hate about your app? There must be a deeper reason like his dad beat him as a kid or something cause i find it hard to believe a rational person would blow up this much over a dollar spent on a perfectly functioning app.

[This message has been edited by Agfan2013 (edited 2/23/2013 10:41p).]
2006EE
AG
Odds he's really a Texas State or maybe even ACC grad?

GED only maybe???
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
And seriously, all this hate about your app? There must be a deeper reason like his dad beat him as a kid or something cause i find it hard to believe a rational person would blow up this much over a dollar spent on a perfectly functioning app.

One thing that this whole project is taught me is that there are some freakin BSC people out there.
agfan2013
AG
quote:
Odds he's really a Texas State or maybe even ACC grad?

GED only maybe???

Good guesses, I might even consider baylor as well.
TexasRebel
AG
You also could've told him that true Chicken rules have no plunge, and "splash" isnt even a valid trump (any true 42 player knows this).

While the Chicken allowed plunge for about two years, it caused too many fights and there were too many people who disagreed with how it was to be bid and played. Plunge was never allowed while I ran tournaments at the Dixie Chicken.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
While the Chicken allowed plunge for about two years, it caused too many fights and there were too many people who disagreed with how it was to be bid and played.

You just identified one of the biggest problems with multiplayer through gamecenter. How to control what the house rules are?
agfan2013
AG
quote:
quote:
While the Chicken allowed plunge for about two years, it caused too many fights and there were too many people who disagreed with how it was to be bid and played.

You just identified one of the biggest problems with multiplayer through gamecenter. How to control what the house rules are?

Integrate google maps so if there are two disagreeing parties they can meet up and beat the snot out of each other?
agfan2013
AG
But I would just have a few options like a button for low bids always/forced or allow 7s/don't allow, and when jointing a game show the potential players what options the host is running. I don't know if that's too hard to program or not but that's my two cents

[This message has been edited by Agfan2013 (edited 2/26/2013 12:47p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
That's eventually where I want to go with it, but I think for the initial release, I'll have nello on forced bids only on multiplayer. I think MOST people play nello that way.

Would you be satisfied with just a message at the beginning of the game what table rules are for that particular match? I thought about having everyone vote on what to include, but it sounds way too tedious to me.
TexasRebel
AG
I guess it depends on how you find a table...

if you do it like chess, you will have one person open a table and others can join. In that case you could allow the table creator to choose the rules for the table, and other users can choose to join an open table based on the rules.

The part I can't wrap my head around is partnering. random players is easy, but reserving a seat for a partner might be tricky.
agfan2013
AG
I think that more than fair. Although I would expect more emails like the one from that tsip.

"What!?!? You can only go low if you are forced on a bid?!?! I never leave my mom's basement and that's not how we play it down here. This one tiny change in the rules completely ruins the game for me. Give me my money back, this game blows"
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
if you do it like chess, you will have one person open a table and others can join. In that case you could allow the table creator to choose the rules for the table, and other users can choose to join an open table based on the rules.

The part I can't wrap my head around is partnering. random players is easy, but reserving a seat for a partner might be tricky.

That's more or less how I'm doing it. Once all the players connect, I choose a host player to handle all the AI moves. I have not, however found a way to allow users to identify which match with which kind of rules they want to join. I had in my head a list of matches with a set of icons that showed what the rules are, but I'm not sure that's possible with the game center code. It might be a 3rd party deal.

I can't wrap my head around the same part. I figured if you know who you are going to play, then you would just let everyone pick their seat on their own by the honor system without messing with the whole "reserving" thing. That's how it's going to be in 2.0 at least.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 2/26/2013 1:48p).]
TexasRebel
AG
I guess it could be done by invite...

the table creator picks the rules and assigns teams (chooses partner and opponents) Partner always sits in #2 position (creator is #0) then the opponents are assigned #1 and #3 randomly.

you could allow the creator to pick a partner and random (or AI) opponents. If they choose random opponents a single player can join and reserve the last seat for an invitation or allow it to be random (or AI).

I think it boils down to giving control of the options on a table to the creator. If the creator chooses unpopular options, nobody will join. ...like certain Chess 960 positions or games that play after a specified book opening nobody knows.
Philip J Fry
AG
Alright. New beta out tonight...

1. REALLY fixed bug preventing 2nd player of the hand from trumping in during obvious situations.

2. Added code to prevent players from trumping in with count when they have offs they need to get rid of.

3. Completely re-designed the code for nello follow me and nello doubles first moves. I think its a vast improvement based on what I've seen so far.

4. Added code to require a more purposeful touch on the bid picker and trump picker before it closes down. Hopefully, this will reduce the number of accidental bids.

For those without iOS 6...is upgrading a deal breaker for you? I had some serious problems with iOS 5 that came out of no where a few weeks ago and haven't been able to resolve it yet. I'm hoping to re-address it this weekend, but my motivation for keeping it compatible with that iOS is waning.
aggiesherpa
AG
SIAP - is there an eta for an android version? Would love to have this game
Philip J Fry
AG
I was going to post a screen shot of my android progress today.

I'm not willing to give an eta yet, but let's just say I'm actually working on it now.
aggiesherpa
AG
Sweet! I mainly use a nexus 7and am willing to give feedback when the time comes
Philip J Fry
AG
Oh, one thing I'm never lacking is "feedback"

Will do though! I have a steep learning curve ahead of me. It gets done when it gets done.
Philip J Fry
AG
Meant to have this emoticon with that last message.
Philip J Fry
AG

That is all. Carry on.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 3/5/2013 10:04p).]
TexasRebel
AG
I started thinking about the AI today...

I saw pictures in my head about programming the AI to solve for the other three hands. This method is independent of any indicating or inference on the "player's" part.

It seems a whole lot like a Sudoku solver actually.

Calling the iterative player "player0" you would know player0.hand, and player0.tileCount==player1.tileCount==player2.tileCount==player3.tileCount

you remove the tiles in player0.hand from player[1-3].pool which leaves each with 21 possible tiles at the start of the hand.

as play progresses, each play will remove one tile from player[1-3].pool, as well as a few more based on the rules of the game... if playerX.isSlough()==TRUE you can remove all tiles that follow suit from playerX.pool as well as the tile that was played. Around the 4th trick, you will have a playerX.poolSize==playerX.tileCount and will KNOW playerX.hand

Here you can remove playerX.hand from playerY.pool hopefully solving playerY.hand, too.

All the while, you are building a database of playerX.wholeHand to remember what was played and in what order. This will be useful to make the AI smarter later... a database of 42 games and results. ...but I digress.

once the hand is solved, the AI can project all possible outcomes of the game based on the decision it has to make at that moment... then play accordingly. It wouldn't take much to work indication into this method, but inference is a whole different issue. Random decisions based on a probability and Past games (that pesky database again) might be the best way to tackle that...
Philip J Fry
AG
Actually, the first part is exactly what I'm doing. It does it so well at times that people think its cheating.

On the other hand, the second part of your post is exactly what I would LIKE to do in up coming version. The app is severely lacking in developing multi move strategies...and lacking in the "go for the kill move". Since you start running into computational penalties if you try it too early in the hand, I'd like to run a simple Monte Carlo algorithm after several tiles have been played.
insulator_king
AG
I don't have an 'I'anything, nor an android, but following the 42 bidding and all is fascinating. I learned it at our family reunions about 40 years ago.

The best part is figuring out what each person has after the 2nd or 3rd play. Sometimes, the dominoes are such that no matter what you do, you get set.

And conversely, if the other team has the bid, sometimes nothing you can do will set them.

Such is life.

Much success in your ventures.
agfan2013
AG
PJF, got your email and I'm officially jumping back in the game (or beta testing, whatever). ive got 3 tests standing between me and spring break so probably on Friday I will do the flight app and everything else to get caught back up.
agfan2013
AG
Dread Pirate Roberts
quote:
quote:
Wow. Thanks for proving my point Aggies having no class even though they love to brag about having it.

I mock you and your school. Shouldn't your **** be deep inside of a sheep. It is Saturday night. I hear in College Station you just have to honk your horn and the sheep back up to the fence. Easy pickings.

And yes, I am we'll aware I have no class. Never claimed I did.

I do, however, work at Dell and will be sure to add your emails to the message boards.

Regards,

Dude, he works for Dell.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 2/23/2013 9:39p).]

I work for Dell and I don't know of any internal message boards. Especially boards where we can go complain about phone apps made by people from other schools that we don't like. I'll have to search for them!
Dread Pirate Roberts
I came on here to ask about a multiplayer option, so I'm glad to see it's something you're working on. Good luck, I hope you can figure it out.
Philip J Fry
AG
Another late night coding. I do believe I've made some progress with the slough code. A few more nights like tonight, and I think I'll be ready to release it into the wild.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.