*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

157,054 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To be honest, when I first started the project I intended on having different players that had their own personalities. That would definitely be where I want to go with the project later on.
2006EE
AG
Had Mack bid 2 marks and go doubles as trumps. Without the 6-6 and led the 2-1.

iPad current release.

Set to aggressive

[This message has been edited by Aggie2006EE (edited 8/30/2012 8:19p).]

[This message has been edited by Aggie2006EE (edited 8/30/2012 8:20p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
iPad doesn't have 1.1.1 meant to correct this yet.

Actually, thank you for this. I overlooked the fix for doubles as trumps. Back in the store it goes.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 8/30/2012 10:06p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
Rebel, this is specifically for you!

First Move:

Second Move:

Finally got my head around the issue tonight.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 8/31/2012 11:23p).]
TexasRebel
AG
Success!!
Oh Four Five
AG
My wife said she was going 2 marks and her partner sloughed the double 6 before playing the 5 blank. Sorry, no screen shot.
Ogre09
AG
How's the multiplayer mode coming along?
Scooley01
AG
I change my mind: I don't want an Android version anymore. I played it on my iPod and ended up playing for an hour and a half...I won't get anything done after the Android version is released!
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
My wife said she was going 2 marks and her partner sloughed the double 6 before playing the 5 blank. Sorry, no screen shot.

I think that info is enough. Sounds like I have some residual count code in there somewhere.

I will feel a ton better when 1.1.3 is out there!
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
How's the multiplayer mode coming along?

2 player is working for the most part. Right now, I'm working to let the user decide where he/she wants to sit at the table. Once I get that, I think 3-4 play mode will fall in line quickly.

Maybe, and I do mean maybe, multiplayer will be ready for testing at the end of the month.
a.branecky
AG
This app is awesome I convinced my roommate and girlfriend to both buy, I play mostly on my girlfriends due to having a droid.... any plans on a app for droid?
wee_ag
AG
branecky - he's working on it - read through the last couple of pages on this thread. Details and issues are discussed.
a.branecky
AG
ok thanks
wee_ag
AG
Apparently it's a bit of a pain compared to iOS.
2006EE
AG
Does nerdery do Rule #1?
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:

Alright. Found and corrected the code that was causing this. I think marked play will be significantly improved in the next release.

Also found and corrected a bug where the AI would play the 55 even though it had trumps on an unforced trick. This would be one of those WTF moves that I finally got a screenshot of. With that and some serious dialing back of the bidding algorithm, I'll be releasing a version for beta testing tomorrow.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
This app is awesome I convinced my roommate and girlfriend to both buy, I play mostly on my girlfriends due to having a droid.... any plans on a app for my particular phone that runs with a specified Android OS?

FIFY

Still several weeks to a month from beta testing.
Philip J Fry
AG
Alright. 1.1.3 beta is ready. Major changes are:

1: Bidding has been adjusted. No more 2 mark bids without the bull. 2 mark bid requirements in general more strict than 1.1.1. I would rather the AI under bid than overbid.
2: AI will now bid 42 instead of 84 if team already has 6 marks.
3. AI no longer tries to slough tiles without count for marked bid plays.
4. Corrected logic hole where the computer could slough the 55 instead of playing a trump on unforced plays.
5. Corrected logic hole where the computer would lead the 46 trump even though it knew the opponents hold the 44.
6. Corrected logic hole where the computer would not trump in even though count was on the table.
7. Corrected guess logic that was incorrectly removing tiles from guess arrays.
8. Adjusted the bid/trump picker so that users have to actually press inside the blue box in order to close it.
9. For Marked bids, computer will play trumps in an attempt to clear the way for its off tile instead of immediately punting when all trumps are accounted for.
10. AI will give up trumps with count correctly in order to hold the high trump tile. (Yes, it's working now.)

I think that's about it.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
The app is truly amazing. You can tell that you spent a lot of time on it. I haven't had much of a chance to play it since the last round of updates came out though.
trueaggie2782
AG
I've been playing this app for a few weeks now and have some observations.

1. First and foremost, excellent app. You can tell you've spent a lot of time on the ai.

2. Ai seems to disregard important offs. e.g. Will bid 26 whilst having a 6-4 off when neither 6 or 4 are called trumps.

3. Will lead low trumps when it doesn't have the count trumps. e.g. Will call 4 as trump, have a 4-4, will not have a 6-4, and leads a 4-0. This has happened a couple of times to me.

4. Aggressive should not mean stupid. I've had my teammate call 36, with a 5 off and two trumps. This seems to mesh with item 2 above.

I'm not complaining, just trying to help you get this app to meet it's full potential. By far the best 42 app available.

Btw, what are the chances that you'll be adding "live" players in the future by linking up with game center?
trueaggie2782
AG
Crap, I replied from page one. It seems most of the issues I discussed have been addressed.
Philip J Fry
AG
Yeah, the bidding was definitely wonky with the last release. I think the beta does a better job now...

With the last release, I was taking into account offs, but they were outweighed by certain tiles in some cases. I've dialed down those bonuses to the weighting factors quite a bit.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Partner had a total of five trumps and a double and chose to punt into 5s on the third trick with four trumps left. We may have been set on a fluke anyway, but I think I would have held out a bit longer on the punt. At least until he played another trump to see if I had more count.

Philip J Fry
AG
Well, I'm glad my off penalties are working at least. Probably would have been a 36 bid in a previous release. I'll start thinking about how to allow him to make a different decision.
agfan2013
AG
Ain't seen nothing bad yet on the newest version
Philip J Fry
AG
Speaking of which, 1.1.1 is now live for the iPad.

This should correct most of the idiotic 2 mark bids. I'll submit 1.1.2 tonight.
trueaggie2782
AG

Partner bid 31. Called 4s as trumps. Led with the lowest trump. Then had a 5 off. 31 would have been fine if he would have had the highest 4, but he either didn't, or didn't lead it (which is equally as bad). Partner is set to conservative. This is the issue I was talking about with aggressive bidding with weak trumps and count offs.
Philip J Fry
AG
Would really help me if you hit tiles up to take the pic, that way I can see what else is in his hand and figure out why he made the bid.

Do I understand right that you would not have bid at all if you had a dangerous off like the 53?
trueaggie2782
AG
Like I said, 5-3 wouldn't be that dangerous to bid 31 on if you could ensure the trump suit. Otherwise, you are gambling on your partner to have two major dominos (5-5 and 4-4). Aggressive players would bid 31 without a problem. I don't see conservative players bidding that.

Btw, I found the "flip dominos" button so I'll be able to have the ss from here on out.
trueaggie2782
AG
FYI, he was the first bid I think, so he wasn't forced to bid up.

Also, when dominos are flipped, you may want to add a letter next to the player for their level (c-conservative, n-normal, a-aggressive) to help on troubleshooting various playing styles.
Philip J Fry
AG
I don't see how not having the 44 hurts you all that much here since he most certainly held the 46. He was hoping to punt to you, or at least to someone who doesn't hold both the 44 AND the 55 (pretty sure fry has the 44 and the 45). Unfortunately, that's exactly what happened here.

If he had the 44, he would have played it. Won a few tricks, but he would still be faced with the need of getting rid of that off somehow because he wouldn't be able to trump into 55.

I can certainly increase the penalty for conservative players holding offs like this though.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 9/8/2012 6:56p).]
capn-mac
quote:
I know a bunch, most logical, some prohibitive, and a few illegal.

That's no way to talk about Token, Egon, Aussie--oops, probably ought stop there <G>

I'm patiently waiting for the droid version. Which will be a pain to code.

Worst, though, will be "split platform" though--since a "pick up" foursome will almost always have an odd one out, e.g., 3 droid 1 ios; 3 ios, 1 droid, etc. But, even at the v1.0 beta level it would be silver bullet.

That's my 2¢; others' differ--and 36 while Reb' thinks about it.
trueaggie2782
AG
4-4 hurts you because, even without count, it's worth 1 point. If you are holding any 5 after that, you have a high risk of losing the hand. Conservative players usually, in my experience, would not bid on a hand like that. I understand that trying to program the human decision making process is next to impossible, but I'm just pointing out something that has been continuously happening since I've been playing. FWIW, you've done an excellent job of trying to anticipate bids for a game that is so difficult to do so.
Philip J Fry
AG
Ah. I get what you are saying now. That would not be all that difficult to fix in a later release. I would only apply that to conservative players...which I'm always looking for ways to differentiate between the play styles.

So let me ask it this way....

What would a conservative player make if they have the 44 and a 5 off?

Or what would a conservative player make if they don't have the 44 and don't have a 5 off?

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 9/8/2012 9:24p).]
Scooley01
AG
Out of curiosity, are there any plans to include some of the more strict rules/customs regarding the game, perhaps as options? I can't think of anything too specific, but I remember talking to some guys in my dorm that went to a tournament, and were basically laughed at for doing certain things that are considered "no-nos" by more experienced players. I remember something about a certain bid amount being considered cheap or something, but like I said I'm hazy on specifics.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.