*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

157,056 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
Greg09Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I noticed that when you change the alias' of your competitors (tits mcgee and senator assface make me giggle) the keyboard stays open after you accept the changes and exit to the main menu.
Philip J Fry
AG
Another item added to my list.

It doesn't break anything does it?
gibby03
AG
No, it's done that from the beginning. Just hit return and it goes away.
Philip J Fry
AG
Great. In that case....

v1.0.1 submitted as iOS 5.0 compatible
eeaggie11
AG
Have really enjoyed using this app the past two nights.

One suggestion for a future version: add a help function. I know in Win42 you can ask for help with bidding and deciding which domino to play. This is great for beginners. My dad use to tell beginners if you want to learn how to play better and you don't have people to play with, spend time on Win42 learning strategy from the help button.

[This message has been edited by eeaggie11 (edited 6/30/2012 1:27a).]
Rex Racer
AG
Really good job! Looking forward to the day I can play on my Android tablet. Enjoying it on my iPhone in the meantime.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
One suggestion for a future version: add a help function. I know in Win42 you can ask for help with bidding and deciding which domino to play. This is great for beginners. My dad use to tell beginners if you want to learn how to play better and you don't have people to play with, spend time on Win42 learning strategy from the help button.

Added to the list. Once I get the iPad version out, I'll have a tough decision to make. Do I move on to developing the multiplayer functions, or do I start focusing on the android? Is anyone out there waiting to purchase the app until multiplayer (or any of the other items on my list) available?
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
It would be nice if you could move the dominoes around in your hand. Like organize your hand by like numbers to aid in bidding.
Hudson2508
AG
Can't wait for the Android version either, need to get my 42 fix since getting a group together to play these days is getting much harder.
3rdGen2015
AG
Bought it yesterday and have been playing it almost nonstop since then. Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but on the iPhone version, the played dominoes are really small and sometimes hard to see, so maybe you could have an option to magnify it? But very good app and I'm excited to see it improve even more! Blue star for you!
Philip J Fry
AG
As soon as I can figure out how to animate the tiles turning sideways, I'll have a lot more real estate to work with...so making the played tiles bigger should not be a huge issue.
Greg09Ag
AG
I say move forward with multiplayer. Android guys can suck it!
Philip J Fry
AG
I'm somewhat inclined to agree. We'll see. Android folks need love too. I just don't like how many different aspect ratios I need to plan for. Doesn't every phone pretty much have it's own?

Though, I think I will need to focus on the AI for a while longer. It still makes occasional spectacularly bad WTF are you thinking type moves. Basically the code has to jump through a lot of hoops to find the right tile and sometimes it doesn't find anything it likes...resulting in some of the worst moves ever. You'll know it when/if you see it.
RAM700BA
AG
Hey PJF, just thought I'd let you know I'm chilling on my back porch, drinking a St. Arnold's brew, playing your 42 app and watching the sun set on our last day as a non-SEC team. Thanks for the hard work you put into this game. Awesome app man!
G. hirsutum Ag
AG

[This message has been edited by Seven (edited 6/30/2012 9:40p).]
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
A button to press to submit your bid would be helpful. I have accidentally passed a few times trying to change my bid.
Philip J Fry
AG
Funny that you say that. I used to have a button instead of pressing the picker and 99% of the time, folks tried to click the scroll wheel instead....completely ignoring the fact that I had a button that said "apply" just above it.

How about I make that "Make your Bid" and "Set your trump" header a button as well and make an option somewhere to choose which method to use?

Oh, and I really appreciate the reviews left on the app so far!
Mathguy64
AG
Nice job! My only comment is to echo one from earlier. If you could move the bones around and rearrange your hand that would be nice. Sometimes my feeble mind needs all the help it can get in seeing things. Otherwise I have enjoyed playing it and will kick up a review when I get a chance!
skiag
AG
I can't download!!!! App requires iOS 5.1...

I can't update either because my home button is broken, and I need my phone to be jailbroken so I can use activator :-/
Ogre09
AG
Wy does it ask you whether you want to continue your streak at the end of each game?
Philip J Fry
AG
I'm guessing because the AI isn't smart enough to beat you yet. I'm hopeful that 1.0.1 will change that.

skiag, just hold out another week or so and it will run fine on your old iOS. You do have 5.0, right?
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I was playing last night and it called game after we had scored 5 marks. The score was 5-2 or 5-3. I thought it was supposed to go to 7 marks.

Sorry for all the critics, the app is awesome and I am telling all of my friends about it. I am hooked on it already.
Philip J Fry
AG
Any chance you or the AI bid 2 marks on the last round? It is suppose to go to 7. This would be a first known occurrence if it actually cut off at the wrong time.

No worries on the criticism (in fact, I welcome it). If the worst anyone can say is that they don't like my use of exclamation marks or not having a more randomized message at the end of the game, then I think I've done something right :-p

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 7/1/2012 12:23p).]
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Not sure why it stopped after 5 marks, just played another game and it worked great.
Philip J Fry
AG
Great. I'll keep my eyes peeled for any more reports like that.
Ogre09
AG
I love the game! I'm hooked.

I thought the exclamation marks everywhere were kind of goofy/funny.

I don't understand why there's an option at the end of the game on whether or not to play again. You will always play another game. Maybe that function will have a purpose when a multiplayer mode is added (play again with this group?).

Thanks for building the app. It's awesome.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
It might have been a 2 mark hand. I had been drinking a bit so I probably wasn't paying as close attention.

Once you hit "No thanks" at the end of the game it would be nice if it went back to the home screen.
Philip J Fry
AG
Agreed. That will be in the next release.
CoolaidWade
AG
Pretty solid. The AI is amazing IMO. Changes I'd like would be to rearrange my bones and online play. Amazing how lifelike the ai is though.
Quad Dog
AG
This is more a question for the group then for BJF. How would multiplayer work? If I can find three friends (a big if for all of us to find free time) to play online we might as well get together to play for real. And do you have enough players yet to support random players that are strangers? And unless you can easily use already existing multiplayer server code, trying to do it yourself would be a huge task.
My humble suggestion would be to focus on the other suggestions that you know you can do until your user base is big enough to fully support multiplayer.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Pretty solid. The AI is amazing IMO. Changes I'd like would be to rearrange my bones and online play. Amazing how lifelike the ai is though.

This is such a huge personal relief to see this type of comment. There are a few holes in the logic that I'll be working to fix over the next several revisions, so it should only improve with time.

As far as online play goes, Texas 42 is sitting at #30 today for the top paid card game apps in the app store (By no means, all time...I believe it's the #30 for daily downloads). If this pace keeps up, I think there will be a fairly healthy community in a short amount of time.

Once I have the AI tweaked enough to where you can really trust it as a team member, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to have multi-player games with 2 players and let the AI handle the open slots.

But Quad is right, multi-player is a huge task so it's going to come down to prioritizing what gets updated first and on what platform. Heck, even Nello is going to take several months to develop.
agfan2013
AG
Speaking of multiplayer, what system were you thinking of running when you get to developing it? As in: all 4 players simultaneously or like a 42 with friends type of game where you make a play and just wait for the next guy to play which can take a long time. I can see what quad dog is getting at where it would make more sense to get a real game instead but if we are taking votes I just don't think a play-and-wait type of multiplayer will be as fun. When I play I want to finish the whole game right then, not make a play and then possibly wait up to a day or so just to play my next domino and have one complete game take weeks to finish. Just my two cents.
Philip J Fry
AG
What I have in mind is...

The person holding the table can set the play timer. There will be a count down that everyone can see. If the player doesn't make the play in time, the AI will move for them.
Skubalon
Bought the game yesterday. Very nice. Been playing it for a few hours.

One suggestion (I'm sure I'll have others): I had a lay-down 2-mark hand earlier. It might be a nice feature to be able to end a hand early once all the tricks are guaranteed (in this case, after one trick in which I pulled all the outstanding trumps, leaving me with trumps and doubles).

Good job on the game! I hope it's a great success.
Philip J Fry
AG
Agree. The only reason it isn't a feature already is because I haven't sat down and figured out how to code it. Officially added to the list.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.