*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

157,012 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
SmithAg18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Me and my 42 buddies got this app several months ago, we just knew it had to be an Ag that made it. I stumbled across this thread today and we got a kick out of finally figuring out who made it.
Fancynancykay
I am so excited to have found the 42 app!!! My mom and dad taught my sister and I to play as preteens. We played 42 a lot over holiday get togethers with family and friends, had friends with whom we played 42 once a month as a young couple, and then when my hubby pastored a church up in West Texas we were in a church group that played 88. We have missed playing in recent years since we are no longer around a group of 42/88 players (these folks play Bridge and Canasta, lol). Great job on the game!!!!
oldcrow91
AG
Great app just like it is. I highly recommend it. Anytime somebody even mentions they might like to learn, I point them to this app and tel them to get it. The shoot the moon is excellent as well.

One thing that could be tweeked the next time you have time to fool with it: When I bid plunge and splash, the computer partner leads all their trumps and doubles and often takes away my good doubles. On plunge, the computer should lead an off when it gets down to 4 dominos on plunge and still has a trump. I just lost another splash hand because the computer took my double ace and then led the ace/blank off.

TXAG 05
AG
Just downloaded it and enjoying it. Only complaints is my partner makes some really dumb moves that cost the game like throwing a random double when he should throw trash. Or leading with a low trump right off the bat and losing.
m-walker
AG
Not a sure if there is an official Texas Moon thread, but got a bug for that one...

In the history on the right for some reason 4-4 and 6-2 tiles are not displayed. It just shows a blank space.
Philip J Fry
AG
It isn't consistently the 4-4 and 6-2 is it? I've been fighting a bug in moon where the tiles don't get moved over to the right and appear to be stuck on the playing table. I don't recall it being tied to any particular domino thought.
m-walker
AG
In my games last night it was consistently those two in each round. Just killed the app and looks like it's different now.
Decay
AG
Can't believe I missed this. Two more bucks coming at ya.
Philip J Fry
AG
m-walker said:

In my games last night it was consistently those two in each round. Just killed the app and looks like it's different now.

Interesting. I'll take a harder look at it this weekend.

The HD versions should be submitted for release here soon as well. Once that's done, I can get back to tweaking some of the so moves. There's one that's particularly annoying that I really want to address.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Is multiplayer possible?

It says "player is not signed in" but I have no idea how to sign in!

I'm on iPad.
Ragoo
AG
I really like your app
Philip J Fry
AG
So multiplayer...kind of works? Game Center is total garbage and any connection loss boots you from the game. And more annoyingly, there's no mechanism offered by Apple to have someone rejoin a match.

If you have a solid connection, you need to log in through Game Center in the iOS settings menu.

I'm working on switching to a third party provider, but it's going to be a while before it's ready for prime time.
jm94
AG
Maybe I can get three friends to come to my house and share my WiFi so we can do multiplayer on the app.
Scotty Flamingo
Man I've been here from the beginning.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Philip J Fry said:

So multiplayer...kind of works? Game Center is total garbage and any connection loss boots you from the game. And more annoyingly, there's no mechanism offered by Apple to have someone rejoin a match.

If you have a solid connection, you need to log in through Game Center in the iOS settings menu.

I'm working on switching to a third party provider, but it's going to be a while before it's ready for prime time.
Ty for this!!
zag213004
AG
Bought the game yesterday. It's a great game!!!!

Possibly a bug or my lack of hand eye coordination. I notice on the bidding that when clicking initially the scroll wheel to scroll up or down a selection is made where I click it. If there was a confirm button of bid that would be great.

An alternate point setting? would it be possible to put in a setting for scoring points as opposed to Marks. So my opponent may make a bid of 30 but my team gets points too (12). If I set them I get the points I set them with plus their bid, for 2 marks...84 pts, etc...

That's how I learned to play first... Has anyone else learned to play that way?

Still no matter what this is a great game I have always wished someone would create an app for this fun game
Philip J Fry
AG
zwhag2010 said:

Bought the game yesterday. It's a great game!!!!

Possibly a bug or my lack of hand eye coordination. I notice on the bidding that when clicking initially the scroll wheel to scroll up or down a selection is made where I click it. If there was a confirm button of bid that would be great.

An alternate point setting? would it be possible to put in a setting for scoring points as opposed to Marks. So my opponent may make a bid of 30 but my team gets points too (12). If I set them I get the points I set them with plus their bid, for 2 marks...84 pts, etc...

That's how I learned to play first... Has anyone else learned to play that way?

Still no matter what this is a great game I have always wished someone would create an app for this fun game

There's an option in the options menu that lets you lock the wheel and forces you to press the button above the wheel to submit it. That's about as fool proof as it gets.
Quad Dog
AG
My family has always played with points like you describe. Nothing better than setting someone and getting more points than if you had bid. Also a lot of strategy fighting over that last 12 points after someone made their 30 bid.
OrdAg81
AG
Trying to do multiplayer but is says I'm not signed in but I can't find anywhere to sign in. Would be great to use it while we're in lock down.
beb06
AG
Trying to do multiplayer with a group of friends but not working at all. Difficult to ever get us all into the app to start with (the invites seem very finicky). We tried probably 10 times, got into the game 3 times but each of those it froze on the draw tiles to see who leads portion twice. One time it made it past that, then just kept asking us to bid over and over, even when it appeared that it had started the first hand. Has anyone had any luck with multiplayer working?
Hudson2508
AG
Same issues with our group of friends. We all got excited and cracked beers to play. Then logged on and spent an hour yelling at each other that their internet sucks.
Philip J Fry
AG
Expect an update to come out in a couple days. Found at least one line of code that needed updating. This line was causing a crash during the first drawing of lots. Not sure how some of you even got past this point to be honest.

That said, GameCenter has always been a bit of a crap shoot from a connectivity standpoint.
beb06
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Expect and update to come out in a couple days. Found at least one line of code that needed updating. This line was causing a crash during the first drawing of lots. Not sure how some of you even got past this point to be honest.

That said, GameCenter has always been a bit of a crap shoot from a connectivity standpoint.
Thanks for monitoring this thread and planning an update. Aggies all around will rejoice!
Hudson2508
AG
Also, this may have been discussed already but did the app get removed from the Android store? I can't find it anywhere.
Hudson2508
AG
Answered my own question. Looks like you gave up on the Android version due to the security updates.
Philip J Fry
AG
That was certainly part of it.
flashplayer
AG
Have a group of 6 people ready to pounce on this app as soon as multiplayer is working. I'd pay 50 bucks myself just to be able to play a few games of 42 and shoot the shi- on a web meeting during some of this downtime.
kyledr04
AG
Have you thought about making it web based
Philip J Fry
AG
I considered building for the windows phone at one point, but that's about it. Since starting this project, I've gone from a simple stress analyst at Lockheed Martin Fort Worth, to being an IPT lead of 10-15 at Lockheed Skunkworks in California, so whatever free time I have these days, is definitely not spent on the computer.

The bright side to the COVID-19 stuff is that I can actually sit down at the computer at home and not feel guilty. And anything I can do to make this mess more tolerable for the masses, the better. I'm blessed to have an "essential" job.

If this extends much longer, I'll pull up my old Android code and get cross platform multiplayer officially implemented, but I don't think I have an entirely new platform in me anymore.

That said, I just submitted 5.1 to Apple for review. It does not fix everything, but does at least make multiplayer usable 90% of the time.

Known bugs I'll continue working on:
1) Tile size is all jacked up when you select 2 marks or more for your bid.
2) The dealer does not rotate for some reason.
3) Drawing lots at the beginning may get stuck if there's a tie.

I'll get these in 5.2 once 5.1 is released.

Hudson2508
AG
Thanks! Just tested the new update with a friend and it worked great. One thing that was a little funny is you have the option to unlock tiles in a MP game. Is that something you can disable in the options? If you hit that button does it unlock the tiles for everyone playing or can you essentially chest and see all the bones?
Philip J Fry
AG
Nah. Just let's you rearrange them.
Hudson2508
AG
Multiplayer is working great. One small issue, the bid won't move for some reason. Hopefully that's an easy fix.
Philip J Fry
AG
Known bug. Already fixed in 5.2. Will try to submit to apple tonight.
Hudson2508
AG
Thanks for the quick reply. This was the perfect quarantine fix for our group last night. The game will still freeze occasionally but we played for a couple of hours and only had a few issues. We started bidding verbally to get around the bid not rotating.
Philip J Fry
AG
5.2 is live. So no more verbal shenanigans needed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.