*****Official Texas 42 Discussion Thread******

157,074 Views | 1420 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by lockett93
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To be quite honest, I had this exact conversation with a friend of mine when I first started coding. I was very close to coding the conservative player to play the 56 in that case so that his partner would stop trying to draw it out and save the rest of his trumps. I haven't necessarily ruled it in future releases though. Especially if I can make it smart enough to look at whether or not it can win any additional hands like agfan described.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I will burn all my trumps trying to get them all accounted for because it drives me crazy.

I am also against doubles as trumps and 7's, but again I'm weird.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I had a similar philosophy but talking to my stepdad he holds the highest trump from his partner if he has dominoes that can take tricks. If he doesn't, he gives it up. Looking at it that way, it's a good play. Same as others have said.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Like I said. I can see both sides, but a true conservative player i think would throw the high trump out if he has it.
Quad Dog
AG
The way my I've always played is for your partner to play his high trumps first so the bidder knows where they are. In this example of me playing 55, partner playing 56 but holding onto 51 makes sense to me. There are only 3 more fives in opponent hands that can be lead to win (54, 53, 52). One or two will come after first domino, and I would not bid on fives with only 55. If I bid, I want to lead, and know where all my trumps are quickly. But I guess it boils down to how you learned and how your group plays.
TexasRebel
AG
42 is a team game. Why not play as a team? If you don't, it's just moon.
eeaggie11
AG
Agree with TexasRebel. The number one mistake I see novice players make is forgetting it is a team game. The way bidding was explained to me when I was first learning is that "you" don't win the bid, "your team" wins the bid. A good partner will take the lead as quick as possible is they have doubles. If you have a for sure way to take the lead why give it up? You don't know if your doubles match up with your partner's offs.
Dr. Horrible
Exactly. If I'm your partner and I can help, I know more about the way the hand will play out than you do, even if you set trumps. That's because I can make certain assumptions on your hand based on your bid and trumps. The earlier I can get in the lead (assuming I have a hand I want to be in the lead with), the better assurance I have that we will win. I don't case that you're nervous cause you don't know where the 5/6 is. I do, and because I know I have it and I'm backing it with 1-2 legit dominoes, I'm not throwing it on your 5/5.

Also, nothing changes from a trick winning standpoint because it doesn't matter which one is played, you should still be looking for the next one anyways. It's only a matter of who is in the lead after the dust settles.
Quad Dog
AG
I can see that, I guess it depends on the hands. If I win the bid with the 55 and two smaller fives with another double or two sure where want to know where the 56 is early. But if I'm the partner with three of the trumps and a double or two I can see holding the 56 to try and get in the lead.
Philip J Fry
AG
I really think that case is easier to be made with 6s as trumps. What if you hold the 63 64 65 and your partner holds the 62 and 66.

You lead with the 63 and let's assume one of your opponents has both the 60 and 61. Do you want your partner to get rid of the 66 here even though you would win the trick with the 63?
eeaggie11
AG
quote:
I really think that case is easier to be made with 6s as trumps. What if you hold the 63 64 65 and your partner holds the 62 and 66.

You lead with the 63 and let's assume one of your opponents has both the 60 and 61. Do you want your partner to get rid of the 66 here even though you would win the trick with the 63?

Play the 66 and work on pulling offs.

[This message has been edited by eeaggie11 (edited 7/21/2012 11:26p).]
TexasRebel
AG
Those are different scenarios, Fry.

In one you already have high trump, the other you will get high trump.
Texaggie7nine
Just got it and love it.

In your to do list, make sure to add "Doubles a suit of their own" as an option.

I seem to get perfect hands for that all the time in the game but can't play it.

And my Partner needs to stop leading the 6:4 when it's not a trump and a higher 6 is out.

khkman22
AG
Any word on iPad availability date?
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
And my Partner needs to stop leading the 6:4 when it's not a trump and a higher 6 is out.

I'm really surprised he's doing this as the code specifically says not to lead with it unless it's higher than any 6 the opponents might have. I'll look into this tonight. Maybe I fat fingered something.

The iPad version has been in the review process since the 19th. If I were a betting man, I would say to expect it on tuesday...assuming they approve it.
Philip J Fry
AG
"Doubles a suit of their own" added to the list.
TexasRebel
AG
Just make it an option.

It is nice to be able to play by the state tournament rules, too... which does not include doubles in a suit of their own, doubles low in their suit, nello of any kind, and allows for a forced reshake.
Philip J Fry
AG
All these special rules will be optional. There will be a "house rules" menu where you can select all the crazy rules you desire.
agfan2013
AG
Can't wait to play on the ipad
Philip J Fry
AG

Making a bit of progress tonight.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 7/28/2012 12:09a).]
TexasRebel
AG
doubles what?

high?
low?
own suit?
Philip J Fry
AG
Well shoot. I forgot there were 50 different versions of doubles. I always played doubles as their own suit for Nello.

I wonder how annoying it's going to be to have 3 different Nello-"Doubles____" tiles to scroll through in the picker.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 7/28/2012 12:19a).]
BQBass13
Maybe you could have just "Nello" in the picker, then after that have like boxes to check for "Doubles High" "Doubles Low", and "Doubles Own Suit".
Philip J Fry
AG
Update!

iPad version and v1.0.2 are now in review!

I expect v1.0.2 to be approved shortly. There is always a chance that apple rejects the iPad version though. We should know in a few hours either way.
Philip J Fry
AG
Both versions approved and ready for sale.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
iPhone update is there. Not seeing the iPad version yet.
khkman22
AG
quote:
iPhone update is there. Not seeing the iPad version yet.
+1
Philip J Fry
AG
Let's see if this works. Took it a few minutes to show up for the iPhone the first time around.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/texas-42-hd/id543049466?mt=8
khkman22
AG
I can get there from your link, but not with a Texas 42 or Texas 42 HD search.

[This message has been edited by Khkman22 (edited 7/29/2012 8:16p).]
2006EE
AG
quote:
I can get there from your link, but not with a Texas 42 or Texas 42 HD search. Also, there is no gift option for me. I'm trying to buy it for my parents.

It may take a few hours for apple's servers to update the searching. Not sure why gift wouldnt be an option.
Philip J Fry
AG
Me either. It isn't set up any different than the iPhone version. Might just give it a few hours to show up.
khkman22
AG
Well, I was going to gift to my parents, but Apple won't let you use credit from a gift card you already purchased to pay for it when gifting. Some of the stupidest **** I've ever heard of.
khkman22
AG
quote:
quote:
I can get there from your link, but not with a Texas 42 or Texas 42 HD search. Also, there is no gift option for me. I'm trying to buy it for my parents.

It may take a few hours for apple's servers to update the searching. Not sure why gift wouldnt be an option.
Edited it. I was just blind. Different problem now that is an Apple stupidity issue.

[This message has been edited by Khkman22 (edited 7/29/2012 8:21p).]
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
Well, I was going to gift to my parents, but Apple won't let you use credit from a gift card you already purchased to pay for it when gifting. Some of the stupidest **** I've ever heard of.

+1 in general for apple. Also, send me an email of you still can't gift it.
agfan2013
AG
3 games in, 1.0.2 looks good

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.