*** SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY ***

258,634 Views | 1959 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Urban Ag said:

fig96 said:

Does anyone know any threads about movies I'm not interested in so I can post and make sure other people know I'm not interested?
I call this the Outdoors Board Effect. I used to post there years ago but just gave up on even reading it because of this phenomenon.

For example, if someone started a thread about installing a lift kit in their truck, within 10 posts min someone is going jump in and make sure everyone knows how stupid they are for wanting to lift their truck.

What purpose does this posting style serve? I really don't know. I guess it's the same reason that some people endlessly post opinions and useless information on Facebook, that adds no value and literally no one cares about.

making posts like this is a waste of time and clogs up the board with a bunch of clutter. /s
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

TCTTS said:

Remember the months upon months of everyone insisting this was a dumb idea and that it wasn't going to make any money? Good times.

I STILL wish Disney would take some risks and tell stories NOT related in any way to the Skywalker saga, but I am a lot more positive on this movie yhan I was.

They are... they have two entire movie series planned after the end of Ep. IX unrelated to Skywalkers.

Rian Johnson is getting an entire trilogy he says is in some other distant corner of the galaxy.
Benioff and Weiss - the GOT creators have a trilogy coming as well rumors are of the old Republic era

Probably starting 2021 or later.Expecting them to alternate years.
AgMarauder04
AG
I meant the "Star Wars Stories" that are not attached to whatever main story trilogy is being told.

I don't want Han Solo or Boba Fett. Give me someone or a group I've never heard of.
AliasMan02
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

I meant the "Star Wars Stories" that are not attached to whatever main story trilogy is being told.

I don't want Han Solo or Boba Fett. Give me someone or a group I've never heard of.

Yes, this is what the new trilogies/series are.
Ag Since 83
AG
I'm conflicted on this issue. I definitely want new stories/new ideas, and I don't want everything to feel like they are just shoehorning stuff in to make it all seem connected (like the droids in the prequels, or if Jabba shows up in this movie), but also I don't want to ever watch a Star Wars movie and feel like it could have belonged to any space franchise. There's a very specific Star Wars feel to it, and if they completely cut the cord (Old Republic series), I worry if it's actually going to feel like Star Wars to me.

That's why I like Rogue One so much. Definitely connected to the other films, but new characters, new tones, etc.
TCTTS
AG
I think after Obi-Wan in 2020, the spin-off films as we currently know them will either finally, for the most part, start telling stories and covering characters we've never heard of before - or - the spin-offs as we know them will simply cease to exist. I only mention the latter as a possibility because it's hard to know at this point whether the Benioff & Weiss films will take the place of the spin-offs for the time being or not. Johnson's new trilogy will no doubt take the place of the saga films, but it's currently a question of whether his trilogy will be every two years or every three years. Ideally, we'd get a Johnson film every three years, a Benioff & Weiss film every three years, and then a true spin-off film every three years, and just keep that rotation for the next decade. Or, will it just be Johnson and Benioff & Weiss films for six years straight?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

THats what I said. Unelated to current trilogies and unrelated to the spinoffs. 6 completely new movies.

Did you not read what I wrote ?!
AgMarauder04
AG
What I wanted was the stories in between the main saga to not be about the characters we know.

I recognize that with the saga ending, it's probably a moot point.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The ironic thing is, I sort of see the roles reversing here. I think the two new trilogies will be the new stories with no relation to the Skywalker saga, and the spinoffs to be the ones related to the saga, as they have been thus far.

Obi-Wan, Leia, Vader, etc. ESPECIALLY if Solo is a hit. (And all signs point to yes.)

If/when the new trilogies are a hit, THEN you'll see them take big risks with the one-off movies. Maybe even go for more gritty and adult type of stuff.
TCTTS
AG
That's an interesting way to look at it. I like that approach.
AgMarauder04
AG
I'm not necessarily against that idea.
The Collective
AG
CJS4715 said:

I'm ready for Solo as well, but I'm not hyped enough to worry about getting there on opening night. Maybe this will change in a few weeks.

I posted the above on 4/18. I bought tickets for opening night at 7pm. I hate Disney's ownership over me.
fig96
AG
CJS4715 said:

CJS4715 said:

I'm ready for Solo as well, but I'm not hyped enough to worry about getting there on opening night. Maybe this will change in a few weeks.

I posted the above on 4/18. I bought tickets for opening night at 7pm. I hate Disney's ownership over me.
I do it for the Alamo glasses.
YellowPot_97
AG
TCTTS said:

Ideally, we'd get a Johnson film every three years,

Ideally we'd never get another Johnson film again
wangus12
AG
fig96 said:

CJS4715 said:

CJS4715 said:

My girlfriend said I can't buy anymore Alamo glasses lol
fig96
AG
wangus12 said:

fig96 said:

CJS4715 said:

CJS4715 said:

My girlfriend said I can't buy anymore Alamo glasses lol
I feel ya, I'm about to have to start rotating some out. When there's multiple glasses for multiple Star Wars and Marvel films every year it gets dangerous.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Calling my shot.

Solo is going to do huge business, Lando will (not surprisingly) steal the show, and a Lando movie will be announced before the summer is over.
3 William 56
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

TCTTS said:

Ideally, we'd get a Johnson film every three years,

Ideally we'd never get another Johnson film again

The solo films I like don't have any johnsons.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Stroke of genius, this tie-in.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I guess the drinking game will be drink whenever someone tells Han the odds?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Looks like Solo week on Kimmel.

Tu 5/8: Woody Harrelson
We 5/9: Alden Ehrenreich
Th 5/10: Donald Glover
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Semi-related:

****ing Kimmel has the easiest job in Hollywood when it comes to blockbusters. He works for Disney.

Disney can get him every single star from all the major blockbusters from Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar, Disney, etc.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
I kinda think the marketing of this movie has been pretty brilliant. Release a very bland trailer after the negative reaction of TLJ to get the nerd rage out of everyone's system.

Then hit them with the better trailers and tv spots right before release to build hype. I think they knew that Avengers 3 would make people excited to see a blockbuster again. Then release pre-sales on Star Wars day. Having Donald Glover become more of the marketing focus, and the subtle Ron Howard/Arrested Development Bit.

Some of this may be obvious, but I think they handled the release of this movie pretty much perfect.

They over came:

1. Director/Writer shift
2. The Star Wars Movie that was controversial with the fans released ~6 months prior
3. A lead people had/have doubts about
4. Competition against other blockbusters in the Studio (Marvel Movies)

Pretty impressive marketing.
jokershady
AG
Couldn't agree more. I remember being still at a 6-7/10 for this film....then this trailer came out April 8th:

And everything after that has been nails! Seems like they definitely knew what they were doing.
RVAg02
AG
Looks

So

Fun
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Woody is the best.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG

So. Ready.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Awesome.....

Han vs. Hahn lol.

I have the feeling that whatever Han has heard about him isn't so flattering. Anticipating that payoff.

And Han obviously lowballing his Sabacc skills..... I imagine. Unless he just gets lucky.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
"Sab-acc."

"Sab-ahk."

"Han."

"Hahn."
Belton Ag
AG
I actually think Ehrenriech has Harrison Ford's cadence down pretty well. If you close your eyes and listen to that clip you can hear it. In fact I can almost hear a little bit of Indiana Jones as well. Anyone else hear it?
TCTTS
AG
The Collective
AG
Damn it, why are they showing these great moments, and why do I keep clicking on these videos?
Chipotlemonger
AG
CJS4715 said:

Damn it, why are they showing these great moments, and why do I keep clicking on these videos?

Have some self control.
TCTTS
AG
Well this snuck up on us. Or at least on me. The world premiere for Solo is TOMORROW NIGHT (or tonight, rather). Thursday night, at some point after 5 PM PST (I can't find an exact time yet, but coverage starts at 5 and I'm assuming the movie will follow around 7:30 or so). Per usual, Twitter reactions are allowed the second the movie's over. That said, I'm heading back to Texas Thursday morning for my sister's wedding this weekend, and don't know if I'll be free to post reactions, but I'll try my best. Otherwise, it may be up to you guys. Can't wait either way!
redline248
AG
Rule number 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.